Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Choker Chain  (Read 8367 times)

Offline Pookapotamus

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: Choker Chain
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 08:27:30 AM »
But as Frenchy said, it's your life so you get to choose how it ends.

Death by Snu Snu!

Offline Nootch

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 03:18:56 PM »
you have to consider where i would be when using an axle strap.   I bought it for the winter "I slid in the ditch in my car and need help" and used it when i didn't have my front shackle mounts made up when we went camping for the small bump I needed.   Logically speaking if i am pulling on that strap hard enough to cause me to wonder if it is going to break, i would have long since asked the other person how did you get in there without proper recovery points?

The will go by the wayside when i find a 2 or 3 foot long strap i like that can be used in the same fashion.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 03:51:25 PM »
The problem is not that you're pulling on the strap. The problem is that the strap is pulling on the axle....
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
Re: Re: Choker Chain
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 03:58:28 PM »
Axle straps are awesome, for a piece by piece recovery.

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 05:02:52 PM »
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 09:22:11 PM by Hi Lo Silver »

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 08:06:43 PM »
Chains are great if you think you can dodge flying debris that launches through the tail gate or front grill and lodges in your firewall or seat....if you're really lucky to get missed. Chains bring things to a very abrupt stop in less than a comfortable fashion.

Im sure there are few Ninja Jeepers out there.  ;)

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 10:01:06 PM »
This is what happens when you guys all buy those rigs with the coily springs. I used the shackles for many years of extracting rigs. Not saying it's a good way, but it served me well for many years. Maybe time to switch them all  over to to leaf springs. :P

Thanks for pointing out the glaringly obvious item that we all completely ignored due to our twisty spring bias.  :-[

Do I have any takers for a quarter-elleptical setup?
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2012, 01:11:26 PM »
Rule of thumb for me is to never "yank" on anything made of steel like a chain or cable.

For a steady pull such as winching obviously cable is fine and I have no qualms about using a piece of chain in a recovery to attach to a frame when a strap could get damaged from rubbing on the bumper provided its not going to be shock loaded.

I carry a short 3ft chain with grab hooks on it and have only used a couple of times but it was pretty handy to have in those instances.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
Re: Re: Choker Chain
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2012, 01:28:03 PM »
Chains good with a hilift or come along when you don't want any stretch at all. Pulling yourself sideways when you a slip a wheel off, righting yourself etc.

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2012, 03:22:18 PM »
Rule of thumb for me is to never "yank" on anything made of steel like a chain or cable.

What about tow points and D rings  :o

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2012, 03:56:56 PM »

Just make sure they are designed to break before whatever you are using to tug on them breaks :o

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2012, 05:36:08 PM »
Just make sure they are designed to break before whatever you are using to tug on them breaks :o

Thanks man  :D

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2012, 09:01:24 PM »

No, of course not. You need something to attach the chain to!  :D

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles