Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: CJA's Greatest Know It All - Q.1. - What is the best jeep for wheeling and why?  (Read 10508 times)

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
New contest for all you know it alls out there and hopefully some good tech comes out of it.  A series of questions will be posted covering popular and commonly asked posts.   Keep it civilized, no flaming, but feel free to counter with your opinion... just be ready to back it up!

We will start off with something general.

Question 1) What is the best jeep for wheeling and why?

Are minivans better grocery getters than XJs?  Or are TJ's the ultimate rig?  Or are old-skool leave sprung Yjs the only way to go (not)?  CJs and earlier?

04 TJ Rubi

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
I'd throw Clay's or Will's ZJ up against any Jeep on the forum.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
I'd throw Clay's or Will's ZJ up against any Jeep on the forum.

Ok....then let's go wheel Moab. No tow rigs allowed  ;D

I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
ZJ's can be very capable.  Have a wider selection of engine sizes, but have a high cost to start lifting them and doing mods...  would it be fair to say there is a more limited aftermarket for ZJs than an XJ/TJ?   There is also the weight aspect...

I'm partial to the TJ.  Best motor, decent aftermarket, has a frame, go topless/doorless without cutting up hinges, and never came with leather.  I would put my top vote for the LJ with longer wheelbase , but again it appears to me that aftermarket for it is smaller due it's small market. 

To get into wheeling today, TJ is your best bet.

04 TJ Rubi

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
For a factory stock Jeep, it would be hard to beat an LJ Rubicon.
Now if you're talking modified, the best Jeep is dictated by how deep the pockets are.

Wait now, factory stock would be the SWB Rubicons.

With 4g to spend, Rubicon LJ all the way.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 11:13:35 AM by Vinman »
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
OK - Let's put a reasonable budget on the mods.  You have any stock jeep and $4000 to spend on parts (no labour). That a fair amount?  Or should we go more of a budget and do $2000?

« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 11:18:05 AM by specialk »
04 TJ Rubi

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
The aftermarket is starting to catch up for ZJs. The cost issue is still there though and for a lot of people that will keep them from going further than a BB and 31's. The more desirable 44a in the ZJ only has 1 locker choice (Aussie) and only a few truss options. It also has its own set of issues that cause grief. Swapping in an 8.8 with a locker is probably going to run you $1600.

More lift is also needed to run larger tires. Usually about 2.5" for 31's, 4.5" for 33's and those are if you don't mind a bit of trimming.

Edit: $4,000 won't help a ZJ unless you do a ton of fab yourself. With that budget; LJ Rubicon, TJ or JKUR.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 11:14:57 AM by WhiteOut »

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
since we're harping on ZJs, and Kev doesn't think a ZJ on a BB is capable ;)...........

ZJs suck in stock form.  they have garbage rear axles, garbage AWD transfer cases, and garbage CV joints in the front axle and on the driveshaft.  they have problematic transmissions that don't have a breather at the top, so they CAN take on water (and blow the tranny apart)
the D44a is marginally better.  but more costly.  not worth swapping.....

swap a better axle in the rear (8.8 or 9") np 231 tcase and ujoint axles/ds and you have a starting point similar to a TJ. 
then your lookin big bucks for a decent lift (not rough country) just to run 33s.

TJ does that with a BB........  but doesn't have a V8 :) nor the ability to hold groceries. 
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
The 249 is the strongest T-case in the ZJ. Yes, some of them do get toasted. Not all of them and even then its $300 to fix it which is what you will pay for a t-case swap all in.

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
For $2000 you can barely buy tires these days.

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
true... We keep it 4K then...  what do you buy?
04 TJ Rubi

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
The 249 is the strongest T-case in the ZJ. Yes, some of them do get toasted. Not all of them and even then its $300 to fix it which is what you will pay for a t-case swap all in.

don't argue with me son.

;)

earlier 249s had garbage VCs that did not lock in 4low (try using the engine to go slow down a hill... ) and they hang super low, below the cross member.

231 takes two hours to swap, sits HIGHER in the rig than the 249, has aftermarket support, AND you can do 2wd burnouts :p

~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Tyn Pow

• Budget Lift
Best Jeep for wheeling:  1986 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 2wd

1.  With the power of the 2.8L V6 you never had to worry about speeding tickets on the way to the trail; likewise the torque ensured the D35 axleshafts would last forever.
2.  Regearing costs half the price of other Jeeps, same with diff fluid changes
3.  Unlike these ZJ guys with crappy cases, this beast doesn't even have a pesky TC to have to worry about breaking down

My second choice would be a TJ Rubicon - best combo of engine/drivetrain/suspension ever put in a Jeep.  If I was starting over it'd be a Rubicon all the way.

Offline bradley

• Budget Lift
Is the budget including the initial cost of the vehicle or is it just for mods?
2002 jeep tj, 7 inch lift with long arm front and triangulated 4 link rear, 37x12.5x15 maxxis creepy crawler tires, custom front and rear bumpers, 12000 winch, G2 dana 44 front with detroit locker, 44 rear with spool, custom rear skins and flares, sye kit

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
Just mods...
04 TJ Rubi