Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: York creek plane crash - crowsnest  (Read 11204 times)

Offline Skippy

• Baby Wheeler
    • Allure Custom Contracting Ltd
York creek plane crash - crowsnest
« on: July 08, 2012, 12:09:58 PM »
Anyone been on this trail before, thinking of taking to wife put there and heard its now a nice easy Cruz. Can anyone tell me if this is still open to jeeps and would be a nice scenic trip to take the old lady on
2012 JKU Sahara,
2" BDS lift, BDS manual sway-bar disconnect, 33" Duratracs, 17" Series 050 Rims (All 5)
SmittyBilt XRC Front Bumper with 8,000lb smittybilt x2o winch

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
Re: Re: York creek plane crash - crowsnest
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 02:50:34 PM »
It is open to everyone. You can't get right too the plane crash, need to hike abit, couple minutes will do it. Nice little cruise for sure.

Offline Skippy

• Baby Wheeler
Re: York creek plane crash - crowsnest
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 05:12:29 PM »
Well we made it most of the way. Trail is in really good shape until you get to the switch backs then it went to hell. Very rutted out with lots of water. Will give it another few weeks I dry then try again, as I had a pregnant wife riding shotgun, so needless to say getting stuck was not an option.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 09:50:47 PM by Skippy »
2012 JKU Sahara,
2" BDS lift, BDS manual sway-bar disconnect, 33" Duratracs, 17" Series 050 Rims (All 5)

Offline Skippy

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 08:26:43 AM »
So did this yesterday on quads, mut say in rather disappointed that last time I didn't push through the hole, as the rest of the trail to the top is easy peasie.

This trail is super easy on quads and a little tight in spots in a jeep but boasts some of the best views I have seen 4x4ing not to mention you get to learn and visit the Dakota plane crash,
2012 JKU Sahara,

Offline Sugarphreak

• Budget Lift
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 09:21:10 AM »
Would be nice if somebody could confirm if this trail is open for trucks.

We scouted this trail a few months ago, it had two quad only bridges (with truck bypasses), but the switch backs don't look truck friendly at all. It looks like a lot of work went into the drainange system on the switch backs and the last thing we wanted to do was drive a truck up them if it wasn't built for it.
I wanted a Jeep... but the wife gave me a Hummer!

Offline cuzican

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 07:06:08 PM »
There is a spot where the toyota owners usually park to walk the last few kms. Could probably park a hummer there too. We wheel the entire way in jeeps ;)
Southern Alberta Coulee Kruzer (new name same great wheelers)
97 TJ with improvements,  05 TJ Unlimited, 06 TJ Rubicon

Offline Sugarphreak

• Budget Lift
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 10:27:34 AM »
There is a spot where the toyota owners usually park to walk the last few kms. Could probably park a hummer there too. We wheel the entire way in jeeps ;)

We could park there, but then who will rescue the Jeeps  ;D

Is the spot the Yota's typically stop at the bottom of the switch back or further along?

I wanted a Jeep... but the wife gave me a Hummer!

Offline JohnB

• Budget Lift
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 04:08:12 PM »
Yes the area is fully open for truck use.  It is a pretty easy trail.

Offline bloodfart

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 04:13:23 PM »
this was a great trail! we did it after reading about it on here, and well worth the drive (we actually did some other detours to get down to crowsnest, so it was pretty much a day spent almost entirely offroad. the huge hill on the trail had me a little scared, but my '12 Sahara pulled up without any struggles. Coming down just took it REALLY slow and it was fine.

We got stuck with about 2km to go at a HUGE mud pool that we decided it wasn't worth scratching the car through, so we just hiked the last little bit. Great day out for sure, I recommend it for everyone!

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
Re: Re: Re: York creek plane crash - crowsnest
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 04:20:54 PM »
this was a great trail! we did it after reading about it on here, and well worth the drive (we actually did some other detours to get down to crowsnest, so it was pretty much a day spent almost entirely offroad. the huge hill on the trail had me a little scared, but my '12 Sahara pulled up without any struggles. Coming down just took it REALLY slow and it was fine.

We got stuck with about 2km to go at a HUGE mud pool that we decided it wasn't worth scratching the car through, so we just hiked the last little bit. Great day out for sure, I recommend it for everyone!

I wouldn't take a car up there either, Jeep... No problem.

Offline bloodfart

• Baby Wheeler
Re: Re: Re: York creek plane crash - crowsnest
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 09:02:35 AM »
I wouldn't take a car up there either, Jeep... No problem.

lol, i gotta get used to the lingo, but "rig" sounds to me like an 18-wheeler :P

Offline Skippy

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 02:27:13 PM »
The area is open to trucks, however after spending a day quading down there I would say that the majority of trails are quite tight for jeep jk's with getting a lot of scratches. On the other hand though there is some wicked views if you do push through the tight spots which are simply stunning. Also the bar you see in frank slide with the big coors sign on it has some amazing burgers for a nice put stop after a good day in the bush.
2012 JKU Sahara,

Offline pooljunky

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 01:19:00 AM »
Hey sorry to restart this.. but how do you actually get to this trail. . Id there a map or a direction of actually where you get in for this trail. . Going that direction next week id really love to check it out

Offline JohnB

• Budget Lift
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 07:21:51 AM »
You can buy maps in the local area.  The Fasgas in Frank sells them.  Crowsnest Pass Quad Quad maps.  It is the North Creek trail out of the south end of Coleman from the York creek staging area.

Offline cuzican

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 02:14:25 PM »
Probably only accessible by sled, dog team or snowshoes this time of year.
Southern Alberta Coulee Kruzer (new name same great wheelers)
97 TJ with improvements,  05 TJ Unlimited, 06 TJ Rubicon