Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Front or Rear Locker?  (Read 12275 times)

Offline Drambuie89

• Budget Lift
  • Project Agent Orange
Front or Rear Locker?
« on: July 08, 2012, 07:44:36 PM »
Hey,

I have a 2006 TJ Sport with the "tow" Package

So specs:
D30 Front,
D44 Rear,
Running 31" TrXus MTs
3.73s in the diffs
NSG370 6 speed Tranny
Stock NV231 T-case

I've saved up enough to purchase and install a locker but I would like to get some opinions on which axle to do first; Front or Rear.
I'm looking at either an e-locker or an ARB for my choices. I'm partial to the ARB because of the York compressor sitting in my garage I plan to install over the next month or so. This Jeep is my daily driver so I am cautious of detroits, or any lunchbox lockers etc. I like the open when not locked idea!

Thanks everyone :)

Offline jandh

• UberWheeler
Re: Front or Rear Locker?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 07:49:58 PM »
if you plan on keeping the 30 in the front Lock it.  Your front tires will pull you up most obstacles.    and you limited slip in the back will do for now.    I always recommend locking the front first.
1991 YJ

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 09:07:57 PM »
Going up a hill the rear is most advantageous as more weight sits on the rear, on level-ish ground I don't think there is much of a difference. I'd probably do the rear first, but do both. I locked the front first it made a big difference..can't go wrong either way.

Whatever you choose I like the E-Locker . No messing around with compressors or airlines and dealing with leaks etc. Just a wire that runs to the diff. The D30 design for the E-locker is fantastic and even the D44 is good. I have the D44 E-locker and no regrets.

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 09:10:14 PM »
Rear locker all the way. You have the strength in the 44 to lock it and not have to worry about it shearing shafts or spitting u joints..jandh needs a reality check.  Figure out if you wanna fix a tossed salad d30 on the trail or run in 2wheel drive over stuff with your rear locker.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 09:19:21 PM by apeman »
Getting grumpier every day.
99 XJ - It's got sum stuff ,Noel free stuff..
98 ZJ - It's just ugly, but bigger than your Rubi

Offline Nootch

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 09:13:59 PM »
locking the rear would take more abuse and hold up better than locking the front.  When you lock the front you come into binding issues at full steering lock and that just spells bad news.  IF the money is there, lock the 44, be hard pressed to break that.  If you are keeping the 30 front i would go with a limited slip to help things along but not be so aggressive you crow hop or have steering issues.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 09:31:20 PM »
Lock the rear. For two reasons:

#1. It's a 44 - you're less likely to swap it out when you get silly and start running bigger tires.

#2. Most of the time that you want lockers, you're trying to climb something. That implies going UP a hill/obstacle. When you're going up, there's more weight on your rear tires...so the rear locker will help you out more than a front locker in the same situation.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 09:35:41 PM »
front ..

if your front tires climb up then your rear will fallow

if u lock the rear and the front cant climb then the rear will just keep pushing and the front will still not climb

somone mentioned going up a hill  blah blah blah   if your weight is on the rear good chances both tires will be loaded with that weight so youll have power to both tires

lock the front its the smarter choice
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 10:03:12 PM »
front ..

if your front tires climb up then your rear will fallow

if u lock the rear and the front cant climb then the rear will just keep pushing and the front will still not climb

somone mentioned going up a hill  blah blah blah   if your weight is on the rear good chances both tires will be loaded with that weight so youll have power to both tires

lock the front its the smarter choice

if it doens't grenade ;)

if your fronts have traction and your rears don't you are putting added strain on the front diff. a D30.....  a low pinion 30. because the rear cannot push the front end up and over and the rear is now pulling the whole jeep intead of pushing. 

so you will be asking your front end, on the weaker axle to 'pull' instead of push over an obstacle.  bring spare shafts..............

so, that said, D44 rear locker hands down. lock the stronger axle..............
apeman is right.  rear locker, you can go in 2wd further than most open diffed rigs..............
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Nootch

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 10:03:45 PM »
Lets keep in mind where we use lockers.  When there is an unequal amount of traction on the drive wheels where you want an equal amount. (technically speaking its always equal to the lowest value, a locker just makes  that value much higher).  Most often when you are in those situations you are looking to push your way through, not pull yourself. A front locker is obviously a VERY nice option to have.  But for your particular set up, you are better spent spending it on the rear.  the front locker can come with a front D44.  Anyone on here who recommends building up and locking your D30 versus upgrading to a D44 should be taken out back and beaten with a large piece of rad hose.

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 10:15:20 PM »
D30 is fine locked...until you go to 35" tires then Chromo it and its fine

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 10:21:59 PM »
Before you get too much bad advice, I'll bring your attention to something interesting. Jrama was onace one of the "lock the front and pull yourself over the obstacle" crowd. He's tried it. AS a result of having tried it, he's now giving you sound advice...which is to lock the rear axle first.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline RookieRecurve

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 11:06:10 PM »
Rear for sure.  A locked front is hellish to turn.  And as the guys mentioned, the D44 is much stronger.  Reliability and steerability all the way!
2006 Dodge Power Wagon 35" tires, 4.56 gears, lockers front and rear, sway bar disconnect, 2.73:1 low range, #12,000 warn winch, 2" factory lift, skid plates, tweaked ECM, beefed up diff covers, bilstein shocks, alcoa forged wheels with bead-keepers, etc

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 11:09:28 PM »
The D30 is the weak link (as compared to the D44). Weld the spider gears in the D30. Not only will this help pull yourself over obstacles, but it will strengthen the weaker D30 (it will be more like one solid axle shaft). That, and you'll get the "cool factor" chirping when you take tight corners.
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 11:24:32 PM »
The D30 is the weak link (as compared to the D44). Weld the spider gears in the D30. Not only will this help pull yourself over obstacles, but it will strengthen the weaker D30 (it will be more like one solid axle shaft). That, and you'll get the "cool factor" chirping when you take tight corners.

Weld the front diff like this?

Offline jandh

• UberWheeler
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 11:32:47 PM »
Weld the front diff like this?

haha I would have loved the here the explanation from that guy.
1991 YJ