Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Front or Rear Locker?  (Read 12272 times)

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
Re: Front or Rear Locker?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 02:45:25 AM »
That was an epic thread. lol
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 08:03:32 AM »
From having both axles locked, I would recommend the rear first.  I find my rear lock much more useful in all types of wheeling and only really use my front locker in the real techinical stuff.  The front locker does add a lot more stress to the front end and will make it harder to turn.  Plus you need to be careful if you need to do a lot of tight turning while locked because something will eventually give and that happened to me (spat out a u-joint cap).
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline bradley

• Budget Lift
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 08:37:31 AM »
If u got the money for an e lock or arb I would put one on those in the front so u can unlock it, then just go get a spartan for the 44 for 350 bucks
2002 jeep tj, 7 inch lift with long arm front and triangulated 4 link rear, 37x12.5x15 maxxis creepy crawler tires, custom front and rear bumpers, 12000 winch, G2 dana 44 front with detroit locker, 44 rear with spool, custom rear skins and flares, sye kit

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 10:03:23 AM »
Do the rear, I have broken axles and driveshafts on the trail and can tell you that its a LOT more difficult to drive out on just the front than it is the rear. Out vehicles were designed primarly as rear wheel drive vehicles. That is where the majority of your traction comes from and where your beefiest axle is.

Once you have a selectable locker in the front(with the back already locked)  you will be surprised how little you actually use it and how often you cann't use it do to it screwing up your steering.

Going with a lunch box in the back and saving for a front selectable is not a bad idea. I've found that with an automatic tranny most auto lockers are almost invisible in the rear. Manual tranny seem to be more clunky/chirpy/grabby.

Like anything in the driveline, lockers(of any kind) don't like high speed wheel spins. If you're not getting traction shut it down and try something else, your drivline will thank you.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 10:06:26 AM »
Oh and E-locker for the win. Seen too many, busted/cracked/ frozen air lines, overheated compressors and leaking seals to ever consider buying an ARB.

I tore the wiring for my e-locker once in Moab and had it fixed in 15min.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline Kanueh

• Budget Lift
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 11:45:10 AM »
I agree on locking the rear first. Also I would go with the E Locker...theres a reason the manufacturer doesn't use an air locker when they come from the factory.
2008 JKU Rubicon
3" BDS Lift / Kingone 9.5 Winch / 1.5" Spidertrax Wheel Spacers / Custom Front Drive Shaft
EVO Sleeves, Outer axle seals, Gussets, Control Arm Skids / Poison Spyder EVAP Skid
Superchips FlashPaq / Spal Waterproof Radiator Fan / Univers

Offline dubbleJs

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 11:54:23 AM »
Anyone running a spool in the c8.25?  I have an aussie in mine and it is failing...clunking and unloading while driving on the road... thinking of yanking it out and spooling or welding it up. Im on 35'
'91 XJ - 3" procrap - cutout for 33" MT's  - More and more dents every run...Sold.
'98 XJ - Lifted, locked and lovin' it

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 11:55:31 AM »
weld her up jonas, do it!
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Dingleberry

• UberWheeler
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2012, 12:46:03 PM »
How are the teeth on the Aussie looking? Are they worn?

Since the Chief isn't your daily driver any more... weld or spool it :)

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
Re: Re: Re: Front or Rear Locker?
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2012, 01:58:39 PM »
I agree on locking the rear first. Also I would go with the E Locker...theres a reason the manufacturer doesn't use an air locker when they come from the factory.

Sure they did. Never had an issue with em either.

Offline dubbleJs

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2012, 02:46:26 PM »
weld her up jonas, do it!

Hmmmm   :)

How are the teeth on the Aussie looking? Are they worn?

Since the Chief isn't your daily driver any more... weld or spool it :)

Teeth look ok, maybe a bit worn on the edges. Otherwise the springs and pins look fine and the locker passes the "spin" test...
'91 XJ - 3" procrap - cutout for 33" MT's  - More and more dents every run...Sold.
'98 XJ - Lifted, locked and lovin' it

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2012, 03:08:26 PM »
Hmmmm   :)

Teeth look ok, maybe a bit worn on the edges. Otherwise the springs and pins look fine and the locker passes the "spin" test...

donno if this will work in your locker, but in my old loc rite, once the teeth were wearing down, we took it out and put it back in the opposite way...... so it was like having brand new teeth!
(so the worn teeth would engage in reverse not forward) i hope this makes sense.
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Nootch

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2012, 04:30:13 PM »
unless you throwing silver your spartan is fine i would say.  mine had seen two axle shafts and a set of gears break and is still going strong.  the teeth are sloped from factory, but you are looking for rounded tips of teeth and unusual wear patterns on the side of the tooth.

Offline Kanueh

• Budget Lift
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2012, 04:45:17 PM »
Sure they did. Never had an issue with em either.

They did but then switched to electric, must have been issues with them or yet wouldn't have gone electric. Or they
Got a screaming deal on electric lockers and still do.
2008 JKU Rubicon
3" BDS Lift / Kingone 9.5 Winch / 1.5" Spidertrax Wheel Spacers / Custom Front Drive Shaft
EVO Sleeves, Outer axle seals, Gussets, Control Arm Skids / Poison Spyder EVAP Skid
Superchips FlashPaq / Spal Waterproof Radiator Fan / Univers

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2012, 05:10:46 PM »

Oh? So you know that reason or is this just speculation?

Chrysler was taking offers for designs for an air actuated locker for their brand new Rubicon. The outsourced locker was from Tochigi Fuji Sangyo as it was the cheapest option . A company from the UK bought the Japanese company and decided to try an electric option in the new JK Rubicons. There is no reason given as to why the change was made to go from air to electric from the new company but online debates are split on failures from both units.

It should also be noted that the ARB is not the same design as a factory Rubi air locker , nor is the Eaton E-locker similar to the GKN factory electric used in the JK.
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg