Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Front or Rear Locker?  (Read 12271 times)

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
Re: Front or Rear Locker?
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2012, 06:04:09 PM »
Sure they did. Never had an issue with em either.

Lol. That's why they only lasted 3 years............

I have three busted rubicon air lockers in my shop. Of all the rubi's I've worked on regularly over the years only a couple have made it without significant locker issues.  And that's because they don't get wheeled.

ARB's are just as bad. They are stronger then rubi lockers but tend to have issues with reliability.

Personally I prefer mechanical lockers. Keep it simple and low maintenance.

Jonas, pretty sure you can't spool a c-clip axle without eliminating the clips. Unless someone makes a fancy spool with c-clip provisions. But I think you'd call that a Detroit.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Kanueh

• Budget Lift
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2012, 06:09:44 PM »
Just stating that the manufacturer previously used air and now uses electric. That reason might have been failure, cost, proven reliability or other reasons as you have pointed out.

Now back to the reason for the post. What are you leaning towards Jason? Front or Rear, Air or Electric?
2008 JKU Rubicon
3" BDS Lift / Kingone 9.5 Winch / 1.5" Spidertrax Wheel Spacers / Custom Front Drive Shaft
EVO Sleeves, Outer axle seals, Gussets, Control Arm Skids / Poison Spyder EVAP Skid
Superchips FlashPaq / Spal Waterproof Radiator Fan / Univers

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
Re: Re: Front or Rear Locker?
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2012, 06:24:16 PM »
Lol was lol just sayin lol that lol they lol did lol make lol em lol and lol that lol mine lol have lol no lol problems lol ;)

That does NOT translate to "Factory lockers only come in air! And they kick @ss compared to the rest of the lockers out there fml omg and FTW!"

Unless your a helmet kid OR perhaps an overly emotional woman during her special time who just can't help twisting everything that's said and acting like a fat kid stole her last French fry.

Again, what I said was the factory made em in air as well, and MINE (singular) have performed well for me.

Hate how sh!t gets so twisted in this place.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2012, 06:48:26 PM »
So your response is be a prick and start patronizing?

Drink bleach bunghole.

All I ever see you do around here is run your mouth to people yet the only thing you have contructive to add is "I run this and it's great" shut the frack up fag.

No one cares what your fat arse runs and how excellently it's performed on 101 trails for the last how ever many years.

What, did you think because you posses a checkbook and a rubicon it's an automatic pass for you to come here and act like a prick?

Back off lard arse. Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that right.

So crawl back into whatever hole you crawled out of. And until you have more to add then "my stuff is awesome"...... Shut the frack up.

My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2012, 07:08:14 PM »
Sorry, ain't fat, never ran the 101, and go find me one post where I said my sh!ts the the best. Also have never written a cheque in my life. Go try and play swords with some other guy. Runnin your mouth like a school yard kid all hopped up on sugar... Gimme a break. All I asked was simply READ what was written instead of gettin all emotional about it. Instead you act like a dunk and hurt my feeling, uh no... That was just gas, carry on... Resident Prick.

Offline Dingleberry

• UberWheeler
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2012, 07:31:32 PM »

Sand, meet Vagina.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2012, 08:27:38 PM »
No that isn't all you said with your little patronizing lol fest. Think you can talk to me like I'm a retard and I'm sposed reply with " uh huh, okie doke big guy"

Go frack yourself douchebag. Like most everyone else around here I've read enough of your patronizing crap that now it's just old.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 08:31:04 PM by Bnine »
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2012, 08:40:02 PM »
oh seriously... Go get a hug or something. I'll admit the over usage of lols was abit much, but it drives me nuts when people don't READ what was written and reply to what they THINK they heard. I won't take no offense to doucebag or the other crap ya spew, quite surprised by it all actually, but whatever, your issues not mine, happy trails man, cheers.

Its quite patronizing to help install lifts and hand out free parts in between spending hours on the trail fixing driveshafts, fuel pumps and yardin people out... What a real patronizing doucebag. Speak for yourself cause all the members and non members I've met and wheeled with are kickass people. The tone you've set for my words, isn't correct, so just please READ what is written.

Offline jandh

• UberWheeler
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2012, 09:02:25 PM »
Wheres the little smiley eating popcorn when you need him   :D
1991 YJ

Offline Kanueh

• Budget Lift
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2012, 09:30:41 PM »

You think this ones good you should log onto the JK Forum and search the topic "Is there a God?"
2008 JKU Rubicon
3" BDS Lift / Kingone 9.5 Winch / 1.5" Spidertrax Wheel Spacers / Custom Front Drive Shaft
EVO Sleeves, Outer axle seals, Gussets, Control Arm Skids / Poison Spyder EVAP Skid
Superchips FlashPaq / Spal Waterproof Radiator Fan / Univers

Offline dubbleJs

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2012, 10:08:20 PM »
donno if this will work in your locker, but in my old loc rite, once the teeth were wearing down, we took it out and put it back in the opposite way...... so it was like having brand new teeth!
(so the worn teeth would engage in reverse not forward) i hope this makes sense.

Hmmm, that may work with my aussie but I'd hate to do all that and have it not work... I wanna go wheelin' this weekend!!  8)

Im really contemplating throwing those spiders back in and welding it up... it's true I cant do a spool cause of the Cclips...I learned something today.

'91 XJ - 3" procrap - cutout for 33" MT's  - More and more dents every run...Sold.
'98 XJ - Lifted, locked and lovin' it

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2012, 10:10:18 PM »
Hmmm, that may work with my aussie but I'd hate to do all that and have it not work... I wanna go wheelin' this weekend!!  8)

Im really contemplating throwing those spiders back in and welding it up... it's true I cant do a spool cause of the Cclips...I learned something today.

do you have your old install instructions jonas?  if the locker was NOT side specific you shoudl be able to do it........... :)

or frack it, weld'r up solid lol. 
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2012, 07:30:06 AM »
A lot of people bring up reliability issues with ARBs but I have had ARBs in my Jeep for almost 10 years now and I have never had an issue.  If they are properly installed they will be trouble free

Plus you get the added bonus of an air compressor, although not great, still can fill tires
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2012, 10:53:52 AM »
A lot of people bring up reliability issues with ARBs but I have had ARBs in my Jeep for almost 10 years now and I have never had an issue.  If they are properly installed they will be trouble free

Plus you get the added bonus of an air compressor, although not great, still can fill tires

Its not just the install Scott. There's a few factors that seperate you from the "typical" user.

You are meticulous with maintenance. ARB's require top notch maintenance, specially around here where mud and silt are ever present. Left unattended for long the mud and silt around here quickly takes out the oring seals.

You arent crazy about mud. Coupled with good maintenance, you have a good chance of maintaining good reliability with your lockers.

Lastly, you dont wheel often, you've stayed on 33's, and you've always been easy on your pedal. Essentially your lockers see little abuse.

In a nutshell, you and your application are perfect for ARB's. Trust me when I say, not everyone falls into that category. Like the failed ARB I just pulled last week that was covered in rust because the rig was parked with a diff full of water.

My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2012, 11:14:06 AM »
Its not just the install Scott. There's a few factors that seperate you from the "typical" user.

You are meticulous with maintenance. ARB's require top notch maintenance, specially around here where mud and silt are ever present. Left unattended for long the mud and silt around here quickly takes out the oring seals.

You arent crazy about mud. Coupled with good maintenance, you have a good chance of maintaining good reliability with your lockers.

Lastly, you dont wheel often, you've stayed on 33's, and you've always been easy on your pedal. Essentially your lockers see little abuse.

In a nutshell, you and your application are perfect for ARB's. Trust me when I say, not everyone falls into that category. Like the failed ARB I just pulled last week that was covered in rust because the rig was parked with a diff full of water.

True enough about not seeing much use / abuse in the last few years, but they did see a lot of use and mud/muskeg when the Jamborees were happening.  I will also agree that maintenance is key to longetivity.  Now I need to go change my diff oil  ;)
'95 YJ with a few mods