Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Alternator  (Read 5100 times)

Grand Master B

Alternator
« on: May 25, 2005, 08:18:44 AM »
So i finally stole the virginity on my Wrangler. However - i think i may have hooped my alternator. Does mud typically screw up a guys alternator? I thought these things were made for the mud and dirt? Anyhoo - is it easy to rebuild an alternator? How much does a new one run for a 2.5 L?

Any help would be much appreciated.

CJ-7

Easy!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 10:52:06 AM »
All you have to do is take your alt. apart and clean it out with gas or solvent. Not thinner though cause that will take the insulation off the coils. After cleaning ......inspect all the parts bearings,brushes,regulator...ect. Spin the rotor slip rings (copper)with a  peice of scotch brite to remove and carbon build up

replace parts as needed ....(canadian alternator and starter)
assemble and put it in the jeep

run the engine for 5 min or so with no load(big stereo, lights) to seat the brushes on the slip rings. This will make sure you do not arc or pit the slip rings from poorly seated brushes

once your that far you might as well replace bearing and the brushes.

k good luck

Grand Master B

Alternator
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 10:56:47 AM »
Awesome - thanks!

CJ-7

Alternator
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 10:59:35 AM »
no prob...........   I do it for a living on small aircraft so if you need someone to show ya let me know

Alts, starters, engines   anything to do with shocking the crap outa yourself...lol

By the way i own a 2 lathes and a mill  so and machine work i will do for a fraction of the cost......NOT ROTORS (hate those)

JEEPS ROCK!!!   lol

electricalguys

Re: Alternator
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 12:02:48 PM »
Quote from: "Grand Master B"
So i finally stole the virginity on my Wrangler. However - i think i may have hooped my alternator. Does mud typically screw up a guys alternator? I thought these things were made for the mud and dirt? Anyhoo - is it easy to rebuild an alternator? How much does a new one run for a 2.5 L?

We have hi amp (140 Amp) units for your Jeep, plus all the high quality components (no chinese parts sold at our place)  to rebuild your existing unit, plus we've been in business for 20 years, so we've learnt a few things.  Watch our web site for upcoming DIY rebuilding info.  Also, part of the procedes of our sales to the 4x4 community go towards the trail fund.  Support those who support your sport.

Oh by the way, do not under any circumstances use gasoline to clean your alternator unless you want to have an explosion inside the unit. We've had this happen in our shop when a customer brought his alternator in because it wasn't working. He had tried to fix it and couldn't so we ended up with it.  It blew up right on our test bench, causing damage to the unit and also the technician working on it.

SteveO

Re: Alternator
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 02:39:32 PM »
Quote from: "electricalguys"
Quote from: "Grand Master B"

We have hi amp (140 Amp) units for your Jeep, plus all the high quality components (no chinese parts sold at our place)  to rebuild your existing unit, plus we've been in business for 20 years, so we've learnt a few things.  Watch our web site for upcoming DIY rebuilding info.  Also, part of the procedes of our sales to the 4x4 community go towards the trail fund.  Support those who support your sport.

Oh by the way, do not under any circumstances use gasoline to clean your alternator unless you want to have an explosion inside the unit. We've had this happen in our shop when a customer brought his alternator in because it wasn't working. He had tried to fix it and couldn't so we ended up with it.  It blew up right on our test bench, causing damage to the unit and also the technician working on it.

Can you guys get a 100A or better alternator for a 99 Tacoma V6?  Or rewind mine?  Thanks. .....Steve

CJ-7

Alternator
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 03:00:17 PM »
lol well     I usually blow all the fuel out before i fire up the alt.  ......lol

funny stuff

electricalguys

Alternator
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 03:34:42 PM »
SteveO

If I could get a rectifier to handle it, we could build you a 160 Amp unit.
However, we could supply a CS130 Delco (slight mod to wiring plug) and those will handle 200+ Amps. We have new stock units at 105 Amps for $165.00 CDN.

Dave

Alternator
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 04:45:36 PM »
What's the price on a hi-output alt. for a "04 TJ 4.0L? And what is your warranty? Is there a core charge? Is it the same case?
Thanks.

electricalguys

Alternator
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 06:11:24 PM »
Hey Dave...

I'm not sure what alternator configuration will be on an '04, but I do know that it will be a Denso unit---likely a 124 amp. If it is the one I am thinking of, we can supply you with 180 amp for about $400.00(C/W upgraded output cable). However, it would be a good idea to see your unit, as it may not be the same- in which case we could convert your own.
Warranty is 1 yr..... but remember-really good alternators still make lousy submarines!!! Give us a call or better, come by and show us your Jeep!   250-2845   Bay 4 1222 40 Ave N.E.

Dave

Alternator
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2005, 07:11:59 AM »
Long drive from Edmonton LOL. I'm in Calgary infrequently and not during the day. Thanks for the ballpark quote. What about a core charge?

electricalguys

Alternator
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005, 04:01:18 PM »
Quote from: "Dave"
Long drive from Edmonton LOL. I'm in Calgary infrequently and not during the day. Thanks for the ballpark quote. What about a core charge?

Dave: If you could take a couple of digital picturers of it from the front, side and rear and e-mail them to us, we could figure out which denso unit it is.  No core on the units because they are brand new.  We do ship units all over North America so sending one to Edmonton would probably have to go dog sled.  No just kidding, but we ship UPS/Puro/DHL/Tiger everyday.
Thanks for the inguiry.