Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: What to do with a new JKU Rubicon!  (Read 7043 times)

Offline FCAV

• Stocker
What to do with a new JKU Rubicon!
« on: August 29, 2012, 07:59:17 PM »
I finally jumped back into the Jeep pool after selling my '06 TJ a few years ago by picking up a 2012 JKU Rubicon!

Of course, blew the budget on the Jeep. Managed to go from the original plan of a Sport all the way through a Sahara to a beautiful black Rubicon! Wondering what are some unique, cost efficient modifications to take this thing from looking like a grocery getter to something a little more mean.

Down the road, a 4" lift with 35's is coming, as is new front and back bumpers, bushwacker fender flares and a hood-mount winch. Until then, what are some thoughts in making this Rubi a little more unique?

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: What to do with a new JKU Rubicon!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 08:36:24 PM »
a hood-mount winch.
Well, a hood mounted winch will definitely be unique.
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 09:46:45 PM »
lower it a few inches. that'll be unique ;)

go get a 2" lift for cheap, and buy new rims tires. sell brand new take offs and recoup some of your cost.  won't cost you that much really.

but that won't make you unique... ;) 

a hood mounted winch would though.......
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
Re: Re: What to do with a new JKU Rubicon!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 10:07:31 PM »
Unique and cost efficient aren't in the Jeep vocabulary. Although that hood mounted winch definately sounds cheap and unique! Throw up some pics when ya get that sorted.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 10:31:39 PM »
Bushwacker flat flares, old man emu 2" springs and nitro shocks, front axle sleeves and c gussets, and 35's. Done, wheel it like its stolen.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 07:04:35 AM »
Bushwacker flat flares, old man emu 2" springs and nitro shocks, front axle sleeves and c gussets, and 35's. Done, wheel it like its stolen.

That right there would work. Since you're wheeling it like it's stolen, you'll eventually break an axle shaft, and then you can rationalize RCV's too.

If you've already got plans for your Jeep, then my suggestion for mods right now is "don't".

Wheel it stock! It's a frakking Rubicon. You already have all the big-dollar mods that you need, and good 32" tires. Stick a $100 evap canister skid on it, and wheel it. Lots. You will be amazed what it will do. You'll learn that breakover angle is your single biggest issue, and you'll learn how to choose lines to deal with that. Wheeling your rig in stock form will do one very important thing that no bolt-on mod can do. It'll allow you to gain some wheeling experience....and no matter what your budget is, wheeling experience will trump bolt-on bling every time.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 07:08:45 AM by w squared »
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 09:59:58 AM »
Is the hood mounted winch a typo? It may be unique but wouldn't work worth a crap. Maybe I missed the joke...

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 02:46:39 PM »
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 06:26:14 AM by Hi Lo Silver »

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 03:31:18 PM »
Is the hood mounted winch a typo? It may be unique but wouldn't work worth a crap. Maybe I missed the joke...

Must be an inside joke with all the Jk owners
Since there such jokers

04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline yukonflyer

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 04:45:24 PM »
In all seriousness. (jokes 'liked')

I'd suggest leaving it alone till the warranty is up, you'll get to know what the JKU's capabilities are and what you'd like to change/improve.

The other thing to consider is what effect your desired mods/upgrades will have on your warranty, Chrysler is pretty ruthless when it looks at weather it will cover things under warranty.

Happy Landings!
If you don't have anything useful to say, its best to say nothing.
hmmm I might be a little OCD when I have a project...

Offline FCAV

• Stocker
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 05:14:17 PM »
Hood mounted winch was definitely a typo. Meant to go with hood mounted jack. I really like the look (from pictures I've seen) of a red jack on a black Jeep. For an idea, similar to this: http://www.jk-forum.com/modified-jk-tech-2/hi-lift-jack-mount-what-do-you-think-162989/

One thing I'm planning on adding right away would be windshield mounted lights. Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on that front?

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
Re: Re: What to do with a new JKU Rubicon!
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 05:37:13 PM »
Hood mounted jack isn't unique, the jack will end up in your garage collecting dust as soon as you realize how pointless they are. If you really want one I got a 6 year old hilift that's brand new.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 12:17:11 PM »
Beadlocks, 33,s, air, winch, 1.25" body lift, requried skids. Wheel it.

Doesnt even mess with your warrenty.

You can be unique by spending money where it counts and not falling into the trap of throwing thousands of dollars away on useless crap like hood mounted lights and jack alls.

Jack alls suck, and lights on your hood just blind you.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline 89cherokee

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 04:48:45 PM »
I lOve my hi lift!! Perfect for on the trail fixes and when you get back to camp! How else are you gonna get your rig up in the air so easily?

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 06:52:43 PM »
How else are you gonna get your rig up in the air so easily?

Exhaust air jack.
Ten times better
No broken jaw
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg