Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Thoughts on jk lift kits  (Read 18128 times)

Offline Skippy

• Baby Wheeler
    • Allure Custom Contracting Ltd
Re: Re: Re: Thoughts on jk lift kits
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2012, 10:55:28 AM »
This made me chuckle.  I do enjoy your posts Bill.

Skippy,  I don't know bnine, not sure I have met him in person, but I do know from reading his posts and the number of people on here that's ask for his advice that he knows a thing or two about Jeeps.  I would seriously consider what advice he has to give.  On another note I would be seriously concerned about taking my Jeep to a place that is willing to take $10k for a suspension setup...sound like crooks that take advantage of people that like to flail their money around.

For me, I haven't decided on 37's or 35's yet, but I don't plan on spending more than a couple thousand to accomplish a setup that will work well.

The 10 grand isn't just for the lift it's to build everything under the jeep to be as strong as possible. I want to get tomwoods driveshafts, hd ball joints, new transfercase, the lift itself, axles sleeves, trussed, etc. I don't believe in just slapping on a lift kit and throwing 37's on. I want to be able have my wife use this as her dd and then I can take it on destination or weekend wheeling trips.
2012 JKU Sahara,
2" BDS lift, BDS manual sway-bar disconnect, 33" Duratracs, 17" Series 050 Rims (All 5)
SmittyBilt XRC Front Bumper with 8,000lb smittybilt x2o winch

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
Re: Thoughts on jk lift kits
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2012, 11:16:54 AM »
umm, does your wife know about your plan to take her daily driver, lift it huge and then you are gonna beat on it on the weekends? so then she gets to daily drive the vehicle after you beat on it?  man lucky you.

this may be a stupid question;
why not leave it stock for her, and build a TJ or something as a trail toy?  you have a dually to haul it with, and i'd assume money for a trailer;  why not build a TJ for 10Gs and not thrash your wifes daily? 

as soon as you have that rig built up you will more than likely beat on it...... and will wifey like you beating on her only means of transportation?
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2012, 12:04:17 PM »
26" inch mid arms all the way around and Johnny joints for the win.

Blaine is setting up another unlimited now that will not be pro stock spec, but will be similar to the Savvy rig. Basically it will match the one above but be on 37's and have all the work done that you arent allowed in the pro stock class. Frame mods, highline, 609's, stuffed feul tank, etc etc.

Loooove their black JK as well.

Looks insane with the MTR/Ks and beadlocks :o

Here you go OP, if you want a useful rig, build this.

2012 JK Unlimited
Savvy JK Under Armor
Savvy JK Bumpers
Savvy JK Tail Lights
Savvy/Currie 4" Suspension Front and Rear Antirocks
Currie F9 front axle with HP9 4.88 gears
Currie RockJock 60 Rear Axle 4.88 gears
Fox Racing 12" Reservoir Shocks
PSC hydro assist steering
Warn Winch
Viking Off Road Synthetic rope
Raceline RT233 Monster Bead locks
37" MTR/K Tires
Dynomax exhaust and 2012 cross over pipe
Tom Wood drives shafts
AFE Air Intake Kit
Powertank 10lbs CO2 Bottle

« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 12:16:38 PM by WhiteOut »

Offline wyattjo

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2012, 12:11:57 PM »
umm, does your wife know about your plan to take her daily driver, lift it huge and then you are gonna beat on it on the weekends? so then she gets to daily drive the vehicle after you beat on it?  man lucky you.

why not leave it stock for her, and build a TJ or something as a trail toy?  you have a dually to haul it with, and i'd assume money for a trailer;  why not build a TJ for 10Gs and not thrash your wifes daily? 

as soon as you have that rig built up you will more than likely beat on it...... and will wifey like you beating on her only means of transportation?

^^^^^this exactly^^^^^

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2012, 12:20:16 PM »
yea, i ask, just because if i did that to wifeys JK (which is for sale, you should buy it and do Whiteouts recommendation. great trail rig ;) ) my wifey would kill me.
literally. and probably with the jeep. i'd be working on it, and she'd fire it up (if it starts) and drive it over me when i'm under it.........

but thats just me. 

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2012, 12:21:16 PM »
^^^^^this exactly^^^^^

why, what do you guys care what he builds and his wife enjoys? Hell, my wife drove my jeep more than i did on the street, she LOVED it.
Why does he need to do what you would do? Is it your money? Is it your wife? Seriously, the douchery has reached a whole new level.

sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2012, 12:23:07 PM »
yea, i ask, just because if i did that to wifeys JK (which is for sale, you should buy it and do Whiteouts recommendation. great trail rig ;) ) my wifey would kill me.
literally. and probably with the jeep. i'd be working on it, and she'd fire it up (if it starts) and drive it over me when i'm under it.........

but thats just me.  
i guess this was posted as i was typing my above reply.
So your wife would kill you...good for you. Its not your wife we are talking about, its not your money and its not your jeep ;)

What it is though is a question about what liftkit would you order for a JK.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline Skippy

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2012, 12:27:59 PM »

Thought about that, as I had a trailer out chevy for the past 4 years, I just really like the jku and have never been a big fan of the tj's. This rig was bought to be upgraded lol all she wanted was a kingsize bed. And realistically I never keep vehicles more than a year or two so she will have another one in 2014 and this one will turn to the new trailer out rig.
2012 JKU Sahara,
2" BDS lift, BDS manual sway-bar disconnect, 33" Duratracs, 17" Series 050 Rims (All 5)

Offline wyattjo

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2012, 12:38:54 PM »
why, what do you guys care what he builds and his wife enjoys? Hell, my wife drove my jeep more than i did on the street, she LOVED it.
Why does he need to do what you would do? Is it your money? Is it your wife? Seriously, the douchery has reached a whole new level.

Fair enough... my wife just wouldn't like it and I was just thinking if it broke on a trail at least a DD isn't down for the count... ultimately its what makes skippy happy so however he mods it I'm sure he'll like it

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2012, 12:40:46 PM »
i guess this was posted as i was typing my above reply.
So your wife would kill you...good for you. Its not your wife we are talking about, its not your money and its not your jeep ;)

What it is though is a question about what liftkit would you order for a JK.

well it was nice to change the subject off of bodylifts for a while anyways.   :P  

Skippy, you better get her that bed too, that way when you <insert damage here> you can sleep on the opposite side of it....... or the couch. lol.

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2012, 06:07:44 PM »
Blaine is setting up another unlimited now that will not be pro stock spec, but will be similar to the Savvy rig. Basically it will match the one above but be on 37's and have all the work done that you arent allowed in the pro stock class. Frame mods, highline, 609's, stuffed feul tank, etc etc.

I am asuming that this is the jeep guru dude, DR. blaine or Mr blaine from jeep forum??  Does he own black magic brakes??  I soooo want those

Offline Skippy

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2012, 08:17:10 AM »
well it was nice to change the subject off of bodylifts for a while anyways.   :P  

Skippy, you better get her that bed too, that way when you <insert damage here> you can sleep on the opposite side of it....... or the couch. lol.

That's the plan... If she can't reach me it's all good!
2012 JKU Sahara,