Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: U joints in '92 cherokee  (Read 4102 times)

Offline jeriko

• Stocker
U joints in '92 cherokee
« on: November 20, 2012, 10:57:43 PM »
SO.... I blew the u joints in my cherokee and I don't know what to replace them with. And every parts store I've called and visited are retarded when it comes to jeeps apparently...

Both u-joints in the front axle (transfer case and diff) and the diff u-joint in the rear axle. Would appreciate help as I cannot find markings on them to figure out what I need. Thanks in advance.

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
Re: U joints in '92 cherokee
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 11:28:53 PM »

Driveshaft u-joints should be Spicer 1310.
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline Moezer

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 08:42:48 AM »
Go to auto value on 52 and 17 talk to a guy named kassem hell help you out any part I need for my jeep he helps me out and not once have I asked for something and they didn't  have it they always had the parts  I needed in stock. To name a few.... u joints for my drive shafts  alt starter steering box clutch crank sensor lol every thing!!!

Offline Dagoose

• Budget Lift
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 01:38:03 PM »
Make sure you get real spicer u-joints, pats driveline sells them. They're about the same price as the knockoffs that autovalue sells.

I just replaced one those no-name joints for the second time in my driveshaft, while the spicer joints are still going strong.

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
Re: Re: Re: U joints in '92 cherokee
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 03:09:06 PM »
Make sure you get real spicer u-joints, pats driveline sells them. They're about the same price as the knockoffs that autovalue sells.

I just replaced one those no-name joints for the second time in my driveshaft, while the spicer joints are still going strong.

+1 I've never had much luck with autovalues brand of joints.

Offline rws

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Stump Grinder
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 09:29:19 AM »
+1 I've never had much luck with autovalues brand of joints.

+2 on this. Pat's is now selling a different brand (I think).

Real Spicers can be bought at a company called DANCO     403-253-6421

Offline Moezer

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 12:00:57 PM »
The ones I got this past week were super duty joints they r much beefer then the stock Spicer ones I had and re greaseable

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 12:11:50 PM »
Definitely get the Dana Spicers, part # 5-760x, which is a non greasable upgrade over the stock u-joints.

/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 03:23:46 PM »
The ones I got this past week were super duty joints they r much beefer then the stock Spicer ones I had and re greaseable

Those are the ones that I'm referring too, they cost twice as much and are half as good as the spicers. In my experience greasable ujoints are not a good thing.

Offline Moezer

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 04:52:27 PM »
It depends on how you use t I guess I like the regreasble ones this way I know when they r greased and when they aren't, also if u do a lot of water/ mud crossing the greasble ones u can force any water or muddy water that seeps in to them.

Offline Gearhead

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 05:32:27 PM »
I've always had great success with Spicer snap tite series joints  , non greasable (greasing is  done at time of assembly )  . They have an extra measure of protection in the way they "snap" into position on assembly and seal up better than anything I've ever used.   

I have a fleet background , on and off road units  , we would routinely replace lot's of U joints with the best we could get , it was never about how cheap the parts are ,  how long they last and how strong they are  is far more important .

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 05:42:16 PM »
I have heard the non greasable have a better seal than greasable joints, anyone hear the same..or different? Not really much luck running greasable joints...they need greasing too often....

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 06:28:45 PM »
I have heard the non greasable have a better seal than greasable joints, anyone hear the same..or different? Not really much luck running greasable joints...they need greasing too often....

I've also heard the same thing and they are stronger as well since they don't have a hole going through them.
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline Moezer

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 06:59:54 PM »
I guess we learn from our own mistakes lol I bought them and installed them I'm not taking them off lol if they go with in a year I'll replace them lol

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 07:00:41 PM »
It depends on how you use t I guess I like the regreasble ones this way I know when they r greased and when they aren't, also if u do a lot of water/ mud crossing the greasble ones u can force any water or muddy water that seeps in to them.

There's pretty much a set way to use a ujoint no? What else would you use it for? Mud and water are one of the reasons greasables suck. If grease can get in, so can mud and water. They also are weaker. I once made the terrible mistake of replacing my 10 year old joints with greasables, they ALL failed within 2 seasons of each other, rusted right out and I greased em everytime I did the rest of the chassis. I replaced The greasables with Spicer non greasable (factory joints) as they failed and never lost one in the following 5 years before I sold it. Sorry but your arguements for, are actually against them ;)

The best advice given on this topic is to use the Spicer non-greasables, enough said.