Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Lockers/Carb  (Read 1900 times)

Rochambo

Lockers/Carb
« on: June 16, 2005, 08:15:27 PM »
i am new to 4x4 and have just picked up a 89 jeep yj, I did a 4 inch lift and am now running 33 a/t , im looking for some info on lockers and dont really want to drop a bunch of cash, i am also looking for info on carbs, the carb i have in now sucks and would like to change it out asap, and if anyone one else has any does or dont for my jeep i would love to hear them. CHEERS!!!

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
Lockers/Carb
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 09:43:26 PM »
Cheap and lockers don't go in the same sentence.  However, they actually are some pretty reasonable lockers out there.  If price is a concern then go with a lunchbox style locker.  THe best on the market right now would probably be the aussie locker and check out the other thread.  The other option would be a powertrax.  The aussie is about $350 but check with HBZ for exact pricing.

As for a full carrier replacement locker there are lots of choices.  Depending on where it is a daily driver or not and how you drive, you have the choice of either selectable (ie ARB) or automatic (detroit).  An ARB will run you about $1100 for the locker plus about $350 for the compressor.  A detroit I believe is about $750-800, then install is on top of that at about 7-10 hours.  Other selectable include the Detroit Electrac, which is a limited-slip when off and a locker when engaged, Teraflex has one out and the OX locker.  The Electrac is probably the most expensive with the OX a little cheaper.  Detroit are super strong and maintanence free.

Another choice would be a spool or mini-spool.  I spool replaces your carrier and a mini-spool is just like a lunchbox locker, it replaces your spider gears.  Spools are cheap $150-200, but your axles are always locked together and this setup is not very road friendly.  Also it can put a lot of stress on your axles.

Finally, you last choice would be what is sometimes called a Lincoln locker.  Basically all it is, is you weld your spider gears together and presto, you have a spool.  Super cheap especially if you have a welder or know someone that does.  The downfall is it preforms like a spool on the street and it is on as strong as your welds

Now if you have a YJ with stock axles, especially the rear D35, 33s, and a locker there is a very good chance of breaking axles, especially if you have a heavy foot.  Just something else to keep in mind.

Hope this helps
'95 YJ with a few mods

Rochambo

Lockers/Carb
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 07:30:03 PM »
thanks that help.....does any one have any advice on carbs, i think my carb is the carter dbb, or something like that and all my jeep does is stall and it drives me nuts, so i want to buy a new carb, justt not to sure,

Wif

Lockers/Carb
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 01:56:40 PM »
I run the 258 with the Carter bbd .. I don't have any issues with it .. PM me your email addy and I'll send you some info on idle setup.