Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Lithium Ion Batteries  (Read 3395 times)

Offline BrokenAxle

• That CB Yapper
    • Broken Axle home page
Lithium Ion Batteries
« on: February 12, 2013, 11:49:42 AM »
We are thinking of bringing in some of these batteries.  What do you think?  They are more expensive than a normal battery or an Optima, but are supposed to be way better. 

A couple of neat features are their "never die" system, where is the battery is drained beyond a certain point it will shut off with enough reserve to restart the vehicle.
With that never die system, you can also get a remote for it, so it will act as a anti theft device.  "lock" it with the remote and you can't start the vehicle.
They also expect a 10-15 year life out of these things.

http://www.lithionicsbattery.com/

Offline Pookapotamus

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: Lithium Ion Batteries
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 01:45:52 PM »
can you charge them with a standard charger?

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 01:52:15 PM »
How much more expensive compared to a comparable capacity wet cell battery?
Double? Triple?
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
Re: Re: Lithium Ion Batteries
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 02:14:35 PM »
I'd never put one in a daily driver or even an offroad  vehicle. These must be expensive as all hell, charging circuit built in or requiring an entirely different charging system. Constant current is close enough to claim but not constant voltage. They probably use a built in voltage regulator. Personally I'd shy away from the daily driver and explosive puncture issues of trying to sell what I'd bet is a 300-400 bean battery. What we really need is better charging, not batteries.

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 02:36:47 PM »
How does it perform when -40 celsius ?

Offline Joel

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Super Uber Web Wheeler
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 02:45:54 PM »
Double? Triple?

Vince, I think your good.   Prices may have dropped significantly, as these maybe take-off's from the Boeing 747's?  ;)
03 TJ - 6" body lift and 31 MTR's, other wise stock.

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 04:43:38 PM »
Double? Triple?

MSRP is $600-850 for 800-1200 CCA, another $120 for remote.

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
Re: Re: Re: Lithium Ion Batteries
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 04:54:09 PM »
MSRP is $600-850 for 800-1200 CCA, another $120 for remote.

Jesus, I thought 400 was expensive!

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 05:21:33 PM »
Mmm and they are pretty hush hush about warranty on their website, but poking through some resellers it ranges from 1-3 years. Not exactly confidence invoking when the lead cell battery they claim to almost double in lifetime usually comes with a 3 year warranty.

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 02:07:57 AM »
these maybe take-off's from the Boeing 747's?  ;)

Lithium batteries are actually forbidden to fly. They classify them as dangerous goods and are forbidden because they pose to be an extreme fire hazard. Each airline is different mind you  but Delta, United, Westjet, Horizon and Air Canada will not accept lithium batteries at all to fly, unless it is in a powered wheelchair. Even then the Captain has to be notified he has a lithium battery on board, and its then his call whether or not he wants to say no :D

I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline BrokenAxle

• That CB Yapper
    • Broken Axle home page
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 10:56:50 AM »
The batteries are charged with a standard charging system in the vehicle.  To charge out of the vehicle they do require a new charger - available for $130.
I suspect the cold weather does affect them to some degree.  They do have an available cold weather package that has an internal heater to keep the battery warm.
The base model battery for a jeep would be approx $435.  Fully loaded with never die and remote would be approx $700.
Batteries are said to be rebuildable as well.  I don't know the cost to do so though.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 07:46:28 AM »
Lithium batteries are actually forbidden to fly. They classify them as dangerous goods and are forbidden because they pose to be an extreme fire hazard. Each airline is different mind you  but Delta, United, Westjet, Horizon and Air Canada will not accept lithium batteries at all to fly, unless it is in a powered wheelchair. Even then the Captain has to be notified he has a lithium battery on board, and its then his call whether or not he wants to say no :D

Maybe someone should have told Boeing about that. They seem to have installed them new-fangled high-falootin lithiums in their 787's.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/boeing_proposes_revamping_lithium_1RH0JviRJUBRGqGeaSfcwL

But then again, I think those dreamliners are grounded right now...
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline jkrubi

• Budget Lift
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 09:43:14 AM »

They are forbidden to fly in the baggage pit! You can do them as carry on, that's how I get my drill battery's to go with me. But you do get strange looks from the security when all you have are battery's in your pocket!