Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Hoop's '99 XJ  (Read 7213 times)

Offline hoops17

• Winch Wench
Hoop's '99 XJ
« on: March 25, 2013, 04:25:41 PM »
This is my first Jeep project, so taking it nice and slow.
So I acquired this Jeep in April of 2012 from a local fleet dealer. It had 140,000km. It is the SE model. 4.0 inline six, auto, 231 tc, d30/d35, ABS, factory skid plates, A/C, manual windows/ locks, pwr mirrors, cloth interior. Pics are of the day I bought it.

A quick photoshop of my intended outcome

I researched for some cheap mods to start with and found a cubby sub write up. I liked this since I had my old sub box from my car taking up 1/3 of the rear cargo space. I cut up my plastic trim, built a box out of 3/4" mdf, sealed it with silicone, mounted to the metal and than covered it with black carpet I had sitting around.

I had 2 milk crates sitting in the rear cargo area filled with various fluids, tools and odd and ends. This really got in the way so I looked for a shelf or drawer system. Found a couple designs and just decided to build one with drawers. This way I could have stuff on top and still have full access to the unit. I built my drawer unit to be 28"x42"x8". the drawers are 24"x 17"x6". This makes it flush to the seat when it's up, and I built the drawers high enough to clear the rear hatch mechanism. My grandpa had some commercial rubber mats sitting around so I cut one to fit the top and screwed it rubber side up. Keeps things from sliding around nicely. It holds all my recovery equipment, various tools, straps, bungie cords, tools, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, etc. One of the best things I'll do to the Jeep I'm sure.

Because of the drawers the spare tire wasn't able to fit in the back anymore, so I decided to build a roof rack. Found a write up on a EMT conduit one and went with that. Spent a weekend building that. Just bought some 8ft sections of 3/4" EMT conduit from my local hardware store, eight 90 degree pieces and a handful of connectors. I cut the pipe using a plumbing pipe cutter my dad had. Than used
some 2" flat bar for the vertical supports which i pre drilled and used screws to hold. Than pinched the ends of the bottom support bars in a bench vise than drilled and bolted those on. It is 4ft wide and about 4.5ft long. I sloped the front and added a painted chunk of plywood as a wind break. Painted it flat black and strapped my tire up there. I u-bolted this down to some gutter mount rails I got on sale at Canadian tire. I was able to shake the whole jeep when pulling on the rack so it seemed solid. A couple months later I bought some expanded steel mesh and put that inside which the u-bolts hold down. This helped with holding smaller items like coolers and jerry cans up there. This rack held up for 11 months, I checked the tightness of the screws once a month.

It got loaded down with lots of gear all the time and by the end of summer the rear leafs were curving the wrong way and speed bumps would bottom them out. So after plenty of research I ordered some 2" OME HD leafs and than found some 2" coil spacers from a local XJ enthusiast. Had some fun and frustration doing my first lift but I learned quite a bit. While I had the Jeep in the air and all the nuts and bolts having a PB blaster bath I cleaned and painted my rusty stock steel wheels. Just used some SOS pads and water and the original paint came right off along with any surface rust that had started. Used some cue cards around the rim and hit with some flat black Rustoleum rattle can paint. They turned out quite well and I enjoyed the look it gave the Jeep. I only sprayed the 4 rims since my spare is always on my rack. (Should've just done it)
I drove it like this for the winter. The rear leafs had initially given me 2.25" of lift but after 11 months have since settled down to about 1.5" - 1.75".

This shows how shot my rear suspension was

After the lift

I got bored during the winter. So I was constantly on here looking for new ideas and mods I could do to my jeep.
I found a write-up on converting the A/C into a on board air system. So I took a stab at that. It turned out surprisingly well since I have no experience with compressed air systems. I decided to go tankless since I don't have any air tools and was on a budget. At idle it'll hold 50 psi while airing up a 30" tire meaning I can take a 30" tire from 10psi to 45 in about 30 seconds. If I have someone hold open the throttle a bit it'll constantly pump out 80-100psi! I bought a 20ft coil hose and a tire inflator/deflator with gauge, so I can reach all tires.

I acquired my dad's old rooftop carrier (sorry no picture) and since I didn't want to remove my conduit rack I decided to upgrade it to fit the carrier inside. So I simply unscrewed some connectors, cut some longer pieces, cut and drilled some more flat bar, painted the new parts and touched up some scratched spots on the old. Now the rack is 6'2" long and 4" wide. While it was off the jeep I mounted 2 spotlights up
front, and 2 floodlights on the back. Ran heavier gauge wiring and relays for upgraded bulbs down the road, and mounted the switches in my ash tray so they can't be accidentally turned on. The spotlights are a bit weak,just a $20 pair from Canadian tire. But my Princess Auto flood lights on the back really impressed me.

I also ordered and installed the LMC truck harness for the headlights and bought some silverstar halogen sealed beams. What a difference!!

I scored four 30x9.5r15 BFG AT's with 70% life for $350 off kijiji, and the next day picked up a single one for $40. It only has about 40% tread so it will be my spare. I decided to not mount them to my factory rims since it'd cost me $100 to mount, than $100 more to mount to new rims. Where as that $200 would pay for the majority of the new rims.

Here is how it sat just before I redid my roof rack.

I have plans to build a cabinet/ shelf kinda thing inside where the spare tire was. Gonna have a drawer on the top for all the jeep's various fluids (keep them upright), and than a cubby on the bottom for my tool bag.

I also joined a group order from a Broken Axle so I should be getting my new rims, and window ventshades soon. This is my second time dealing with them and they are really great at answering any questions I have had!

I just ordered some steel for a front and rear bumper, which should be completed next week sometime.

I'm hoping to get my windows tinted before summer, and once the snow is gone I'll be sanding down and painting the small bits of surface rust popping up.

It's been coming along slowly but I am very happy with how it's turning out and hopefully after doing some wheeling and more camping this year I'll be able to fully appreciate everything I've put into it.

Thanks for following along

Feel free to leave comments, questions or advice!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 11:00:13 AM by hoops17 »
'99 Cherokee. 4.0 auto d30/35. 2"bb pucks & HD ome leafs. 30" bfg at's. cubby sub. rear drawer storage. conduit roof rack. F/R bumpers, superwinch 8500.
My Build:
http://forum.calgaryjeep.com/index.php?topic=27326.msg173368#new

Offline bRIBEGuy

• Budget Lift
Re: Project "Little Yeti" '99
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 07:17:53 AM »
Looks like a great start!

Reminds me a lot of the beginning stages of my 2000 XJ...especially the sub box......  ;)
'00 XJ Classic, 3" OME lift, 32's, custom stereo.

Offline hoops17

• Winch Wench
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 10:41:24 AM »
Thanks!

I definitely got the idea from yours and a couple other guys on cherokeeforum for the cubby sub.

'99 Cherokee. 4.0 auto d30/35. 2"bb pucks & HD ome leafs. 30" bfg at's. cubby sub. rear drawer storage. conduit roof rack. F/R bumpers, superwinch 8500.
My Build:

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 03:16:21 AM »
Will be a nice rig when its done. However they are never truly done.... ;)
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline hoops17

• Winch Wench
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 05:43:23 PM »
Update:
Got my rims in from Quadratec. Got the tires mounted.

Before:

After:

Also got some ventshades for the windows and a 1" lift shackle for back. Started spraying some PB blaster on the bolts/nuts. Figure I'll remove the rear sway bar while I'm under there.

So I measured how much my Jeep has settled since the lift.
Left Rear: 18 1/4"
Right Rear: 18 3/4"
Left Front: 19"
Right Front: 19"

So I'm hoping the 1" lift shackle will level the jeep out nicely once the bumpers are installed.

My Build:

Offline Moezer

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 04:56:44 PM »
nice jeep man keep itup

Offline big black dodge

• Budget Lift
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 07:02:25 PM »
love your write up and you are doing some pretty unique / cool / cheap mods which are pretty awesome.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 4L's responded pretty well to an cold air intake spacer - seems like a good mod for ya
81 CJ7 350, SM 465, Dana 300,  dual dana 44, 4" lift, soon 33" TSL

Offline hoops17

• Winch Wench
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 11:56:57 AM »
Hey thanks for the comments!!
And regarding the TB spacer any research I've done has come up with little to no gains.
http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/engine/154_0911_jeep_4_liter_engine_myth_busting_true_lies/viewall.html

But as for a CAI I've found the cowl intake design to be something I could replicate fairly cheaply and situate the intake higher up for water crossings
The driver side vents are open to the elements while the passenger side is closed off. There are draining tubes at the bottom across both sides.
So two designs I've found; one crossing over the motor straight from the TB:

Or one using the existing filter/housing:

My Build:

Offline hoops17

• Winch Wench
Re: Project "Little Yeti" '99 XJ
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 05:52:14 PM »
Update:

Installed 1" JKS lift shackles. Took a couple of hours all bolts came out nicely with the breaker bar. (I had Pb'd them past couple of days). Hardest part was trying to get the top shackle bolts back into the nuts in the frame rails.

While I was under there removed my rear sway bar (only broke one bolt)

Rear Measurements (hub to flare)
Driver: 19"
Passenger: 19 1/8"

My exhaust now hits the shackle causing some rattling and clunking on bumps. Will get around to fixing that sometime soon!
Gonna be looking at getting a CB set up so I can come out on some runs with you guys!
My Build:

Offline hoops17

• Winch Wench
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 09:14:50 PM »
Bumpers made and installed. Bought and installed a winch. Also got my flares and lower part of doors bedlined.
I installed a driver seat from a WJ Grand Cherokee (more comfortable), fixed my driver front speaker, painted my drawers black (organized as well), installed my window visors,  and added in an extended idle button (lucked out at PnP).
I got a Cobra 19 and a magnet mount antenna as well.

To Do List:
Storage cabinet left side of drawers (stock spare location) for fluid containers.
DIY BPE for rear Commanche shocks.
Window Tint.
Wire up switch for shutting off dome lights when doors are open.
Mount for CB radio- passenger side of shifter.
Cowl intake.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 09:32:15 PM by hoops17 »
My Build:

Offline Dingleberry

• UberWheeler
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 09:53:34 PM »
Looks beauty!

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 12:55:00 AM »

Looks better since the last time I saw it. Your mods are coming along nicely.  Are you going to install those V8 ZJ coils to compensate for the weight of the bumper/winch combo?

Are you itching to go wheeling yet?
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline hoops17

• Winch Wench
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 01:32:20 AM »
I'm still debating about just getting some XJ lift coils from OME, and I just need to get the rear bumper tied in better than I'll be ready to go!
My Build:

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 03:19:03 AM »
I like the way your going with your build. Was the rear bumper a custom job? How are you tying it in? I have a Warn on the back of my XJ and it weighs about as much as the front with winch... They are wayyyyy to overbuilt and heavyier than Immortals breathing in a school zone...

Looks good tho! Makes me want to get mine out from storage and finally get some work done to it ;)
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline hoops17

• Winch Wench
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 11:08:54 AM »
I like the way your going with your build. Was the rear bumper a custom job? How are you tying it in? I have a Warn on the back of my XJ and it weighs about as much as the front with winch... They are wayyyyy to overbuilt and heavyier than Immortals breathing in a school zone...

Looks good tho! Makes me want to get mine out from storage and finally get some work done to it ;)

Yeah the front and rear bumper were custom built.  Right now it's just tied into the stock 8 bolts, so once I can get my skid plate bolts free I'll have a plate run down to those, just like a hitch does. Thank you!
My Build: