Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: OHV insurance help  (Read 2919 times)

Offline 89cherokee

• Baby Wheeler
OHV insurance help
« on: April 29, 2013, 01:56:35 PM »
How do you guys insure your trailered non street legal rigs, and with who? Whats the pricing like?? My buddy called and they told him there is only atv insurance nothing for OHV... I believe that to not be true

Offline LLYJ

• UberWheeler
  • carport ghetto fab
Re: OHV insurance help
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 11:08:51 PM »
Can't answer your insurance question but reading this it suggests in the wording that a unlicensed off road vehicle would be considered a OHV
Curious myself....(on pg 15 it quotes the act but its confusing whether it applies to a jeep or truck or not)
http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType41/Production/small_vehicle_booklet_final.pdf

This post requires more cowbell
51 Willys CJ3A - V6, SM420, T18, D44/27 lockers
93 YJ, starting to see light at the end of the carport
98 ZJ, 5.2l - DD with too many go go gadgets
05 Dodge 2500HD hauler

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 03:14:54 AM »
Call blue circle insurance. Tell them you have a Jeep. Tell them its modified. Tell them you dont need collision on it. Tell them it gets 1000km a year. Tell them its just for recreation and will not be your vehicle you commute to work in. Tell them thankyou for the great rate you got..
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 08:32:25 AM »
Call blue circle insurance. Tell them you have a Jeep. Tell them its modified. Tell them you dont need collision on it. Tell them it gets 1000km a year. Tell them its just for recreation and will not be your vehicle you commute to work in. Tell them thankyou for the great rate you got..

do they require safeties Simon?
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 09:42:11 AM »
How do you guys insure your trailered non street legal rigs, and with who? Whats the pricing like?? My buddy called and they told him there is only atv insurance nothing for OHV... I believe that to not be true

There might be some truth to this as I've encountered  2 " offroad only" Jeeps that were trailered to McLean . Both rigs had the quad plates on. I asked the owners about it and they both said that's what their insurance companies( separate companies), told them to do. Definitely worth your time to call around though.

A few people I know who own trailered rigs have their original plates with minimal insurance on. They started out as stock and kinda morphed into offroad-only rigs.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 09:45:50 AM by tubby »
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline 89cherokee

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 03:10:05 PM »
The people he has talked to have said Atv ins is only for Atvs. And no OHV ins yet has been come across. ..

Offline bloodfart

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 08:47:16 PM »
don't take this the wrong way, but what exactly are you insuring against? The loss/damage of your rig, or the damage you might cause to others on trails or to others riding with you in your rig?

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 09:35:34 PM »
Overlooking the fact that it's a legal requirement, I'd say all of the above.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 08:53:45 AM »
don't take this the wrong way, but what exactly are you insuring against? The loss/damage of your rig, or the damage you might cause to others on trails or to others riding with you in your rig?

liability.

when you cause undue harm to another, you can bet your a$$ you're gonna get sued. 
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline bloodfart

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 05:14:06 PM »
liability.

when you cause undue harm to another, you can bet your a$$ you're gonna get sued. 

gotcha! i was thinking you possibly meant to insure your rig just against damage you do to it on the trails, and was wondering what insurance company in their right mind would ever offer that (without charging an arm and a leg). but if it's just for liability, that makes sense now  8)

Offline 89cherokee

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 04:26:31 PM »
gotcha! i was thinking you possibly meant to insure your rig just against damage you do to it on the trails, and was wondering what insurance company in their right mind would ever offer that (without charging an arm and a leg). but if it's just for liability, that makes sense now  8)
just trying to be legal... don't need some fish cop giving me a $2500 fine.

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 04:36:12 PM »

I had a Polaris RZR insured with full coverage for $400.00/yr, if I tumbled it off a cliff they would have covered it.

OP, keep in mind if you insure it for off-road only and are caught driving on road, like between the staging areas or down the dirt road at Maclean, you will be eligible for the $2,500 fine.
Best thing to do is call an insurance company and explain exactly what you want, minimal insurance that will cover you on road and off. Explain that the only on road driving will be between trail heads.
Good luck
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title