Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Garmin 276C...OR ???  (Read 2005 times)

RUBI

Garmin 276C...OR ???
« on: June 18, 2005, 10:11:01 PM »
Anyone have any personel input on this unit ?? I've been thinking of picking up something capable of real time mapping, as well as being able to download over topo maps etc, etc............... :idea:

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
Garmin 276C...OR ???
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 07:44:20 PM »
I use a Magellan Meridain Color. I like it cause its color(a must with topo maps) and it uses a standerd SD memory card so its memory upgradable to whatever you want.

Magellan vs Garmin is really a personal preference. My best advice on buying a GPS is go somehere where you can play with a few different models and spend a 1/2 hour playing with them. Maybe do so some reasearch first to see what options you want and then go into a store.

I've had good experiences with www.gpscentral.com, they have a store in the SE. Good selection and quite helpfull.

Another option if you just plan to use it in the Jeep is get a laptop and GPS card for it.  Chepaer if you already have a decent laptop and more powerful(can do more things). But less versatile as its can not be easily ported around for things like GeoCaching or hiking.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles