Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Shackles, Staps and Shovel  (Read 2420 times)

Rochambo

Shackles, Staps and Shovel
« on: June 19, 2005, 03:41:26 PM »
what size of shackles should i get? and length of straps?and were is the cheapest place to get them from. oh and does any one have a good but cheap way to mount a shovel and were? I was thinking the hood but....

Offline hatjpr

• Winch Wench
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 10:28:32 PM »
Shackles depends on what you have or what you want out of them.  I have shackles that are 1" longer than stock length.  
Get a strap anywhere's from 20 to 30 feet long.
I mount my shovel on my spare tire with a bungee cord wrapped through the spokes of the wheel.  But I guess that depends on what kind of wheel you have if you can do that or not.

Offline Razor

• Budget Lift
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 06:45:32 PM »
Most people use 3/4" shackles which are about $8 if i remember right at Princess Auto but they can't seem to keep them in stock. They are doulbe the price at Acklands.  Try Greggs maybe?

80CJ

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 02:30:58 PM »
If you have a rag top bungee the shovel somewhere on the roll bar.

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 11:27:38 PM »
3/4" shackles from Princess Auto and a shovel bungied to my front bumper above the winch.

Not the greatest pic but you can make out the shackles and the shovel.

Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline RckyMtnTJ

• UberWheeler
    • http://www3.telus.net/lck
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005, 12:24:21 AM »
I run a 7/8" shackle from Princess Auto.  Peavey Mart will carry the shackles and tow ropes.

I presently run a 3" x 20' tow rope.  Its rated at about 25,000lbs.  Question..... what is a good weight rating for a tow rope?  Is 18,000 plenty, or should one go for the 3" and 25,000+ range??  The reason I am asking is since my shackle sits right at the exhaust, I melted my current tow rope.  I am getting it fixed for a fraction of a new one.  However I think I will buy a new one as well.  I am kinda leaning towards a 30' x 2" 18,000lb one.
98 TJ 4" lift + goodies