Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Cluster issue  (Read 1746 times)

Offline pooljunky

• That CB Yapper
Cluster issue
« on: October 14, 2013, 03:07:29 AM »
So last weekend I did my engine swap .. 2001 2.5 tj (original) to 1999 4.0 cherokee, and all works except having a weird thing going on with the dash clusters

didnt swap the cluster.. and the pcm is sending the info when i do the test.

so turn the ignition on , lights turn on like seat belt.. park break.. and so on.. all normal. except the batt gage and fuel gage does not go to where its supposed to be (good battery)

No I turn over the key.. all dials goes all the way . .and then comes back to 0 and the gauges don't work where they are supposed to be.. all lights up and all but oil pressure , gas, speed, and batt gauges does not move.

Any suggestions?

I was thinking the ground wires but it would not work at all.. doing the tests for the gauges and all works in sequence..

weird lol

Hey but the engine starts and runs like a dream.. might be straight pipe for a little bit lol

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
Re: Cluster issue
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 06:49:05 AM »
Glad to hear it lives. Gauges are for sissies anyway. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Offline shutt40

• Stocker
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 01:33:29 PM »
Your 2001 instrument cluster is PCI bus communications and the 1999 XJ computer uses CCM bus communications.
You would have to swap your instrument cluster for one from a 97 to 00 TJ you will also need the connectors for the cluster as they are different.
Frank

Offline pooljunky

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 10:24:12 PM »
k I appreciate all that.. is it possible to reset or flash the current pcm to make it work with the curent cluster..

I tried a 2003 pcm although it was coil packs and not distributor..  but the gauges where working.

is there such a thing a pcm 4.0 between 2000 and 2003 for distributor engine?

Offline shutt40

• Stocker
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 08:44:04 AM »
Well I guess you could try running a second PCM to run the cluster or convert your engine over to distributorless with the coil pack, but changing the cluster is easier. There is no PCI bus PCM that works with the older distributor style ignition, they are all CCM bus
I have a cluster and connectors from a 97 but I'm north of Edmonton you should be able to find one closer.

Frank

Offline pooljunky

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 07:10:58 PM »
how really hard could it be I wired my own 2 injectors.. now I just need to wire in coil packs?

Offline shutt40

• Stocker
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 09:14:40 AM »
You'll need more parts to go that route.
PCM from 01 4.0l TJ ( make sure you find one without sentry key)
Cam Position Sensor
Coil Pack
Plus you will have to Fab up some kind of mount for the coil pack as your head doesn't have mounts

Would be easier just to change the cluster
Frank

Offline pooljunky

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 04:34:33 PM »
ok I got a 1997 cluster.. now to try to wire this..

on the 97 cluster.. where do I wire CCD BUS + and - onto the 2001 wiring harness?

again most lights work.. but the cluster is still not wiring correctly.. so tring to figure out those.

HELP  lol

Offline pooljunky

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 06:31:25 PM »
I FIGURED IT OUT!!! Im so proud right now.. there was plug c28 missing in my wiring harness.. and I added the pin to the pcm and it works.. man im impressing myself lol sorry

Offline shutt40

• Stocker
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 04:41:52 PM »
glad to hear you got it working
C28 is CCD-
C30 is CCD+

Offline pooljunky

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 05:48:56 PM »
Thanks .. ya I had to add a wire in c28.. on my wiring harness there was none