Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: New truck  (Read 12151 times)

Offline Robb

• Baby Wheeler
    • Calgary Real Estate
New truck
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2006, 05:27:00 PM »

On second thought, they are way bigger then I remember.  Just go buy a mog.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
New truck
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2006, 12:32:29 PM »
Maybe i am slow, but what do all the other employees of the world use for this kind of work???
i mean i am having trouble believing that you need what you say you need when i am thinking 100's of others have gotten to where they need to go without doing what you are suggesting. i just can't get my head around the facts. What does everyone else drive???

Tom :)
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
New truck
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2006, 02:46:05 PM »
Just get an older F350 single wheel rear axle, 7.3 powerstroke from 96-02.

I just picked up my F350 for 10k. There are a lot cheaper out there. Mines crew cap, hidden goose neck, new tranny (after 360K !!!), long box, linered, fully loaded. You can get a regular cab, normal f350 in those years for 6-9k.

In my experience (logger, siesmic worker, rig worker, etc etc)

Nothing stands up to the Fords in the bush.

In my seismic days we destroyed dodges to no end. The only chev was the pavement princess fuel truck, and the boses cadilac highway rigs. Veritas quite buying dodge because the of the 15 or so they bought, very few made it back to calgary with the suspension attached.

The older Ford powerstrokes are of proven strength and reliability.

No other truck of that day came with diffs it did. Leaf sprung (simple) front and rear.

Front Dana 60 hp, manual hubs, manual t-case. No pushbutton electronic t-case or automatic hubs to fail on you at the wrong times. Rear is a simple sterling 10.25 full floater.

The Ford is the lighter of the big three deisels in those day. The Dodges sink because of cummings weight, and the chevs because of suspension.

If you are truly going to hitting the cutlines, as hard or harder then seismic hands, then Fords are your realistic choice.

Just take a look at the few the 100 plus seismic yards around town and see what they are running. Or ask what they always ran in the years you are looking at as some have moved to dodges, but they are still a front end sinking tank in the bush.

At least ford nothing. Im not a ford man, i wouldnt spit on most ford cars if they were on fire. But they know how to make a simple, strong, reliable, and affordable work truck.

Ever drive in BC much? Ever notice what 90% of the trucks are? Yep, Ford. Cause they work in the bush. Whether you hate ford or not, thats just how it is.

Not to mention, buying an old f350 is cheap enough for you to keep your cj for when you come home and want to wheel.

good luck
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

gsxtacy

fords
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006, 03:21:48 PM »
thanx bnine

as realistic as it sounds, and it does pretty well, can i get lifts to the size i want to run?

(6-10")

and a stick?

everything else sounds gravy

oh, and tom... i'd like to have fun with this truck as well

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
Re: fords
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006, 03:30:01 PM »
Quote from: "gsxtacy"
thanx bnine

as realistic as it sounds, and it does pretty well, can i get lifts to the size i want to run?

(6-10")

and a stick?

everything else sounds gravy

Absolutely. F350's are already SOA, with lift blocks in the back. Every spring company out there makes add a leafs, lifted spring packs, etc etc you name.

Stock with a 29 inch tire they are already as high as a jeep with a 4 inc lift on it. 10 lift would create a monster truck imo. They clear 33's stock with no mods, 35's with a bit of trim. The 5 speeds from that year are a solid tranny with a close to granny first gear, and a good reputation.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

gsxtacy

New truck
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2006, 05:14:31 PM »
wow, wicked awesome

ya, i'm lookin to make a monster truck

and to drive the poo out of it

:twisted:

ford it is, and because it is newer, i can find parts!!!

cool

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
Re: fords
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2006, 08:02:08 PM »
Quote from: "gsxtacy"

Gotcha :wink:
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

gsxtacy

New truck
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2006, 08:30:02 PM »
i've looked all over the web today and i can't find high or low of this truck, so i went to the dealer... 2002, 15000 km on it, 20 grand with the auto

bnine, it's everything you said it'd be

but where'd you get it?

the song "escape" from "the patriot" soundtrack matches it so well

could you just see a massively lifted rig running a cutline with that music.

it's beautiful

Offline NS-jeeper

• UberWheeler
New truck
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2006, 09:06:55 PM »
As of last year the 2 seismic companys I worked for used ford f350's and they stood up to all the punisment we could give them.

try looking here. http://canadatrader.com/search/advancedSearch.aspx

gsxtacy

New truck
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2006, 07:22:00 AM »
92 Ford XLT F350 5 spd diesel, 4WD, pw, a/c, 2 tone blue, 380,000kms, $7500

how's this?

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
New truck
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2006, 08:20:32 AM »
Not to bad.

That is most likely a mechanical diesel. Old school before the powerstroke. I've never had one, but hear they are simple as hell to work on and parts are dirt cheap. Problem is there isnt a turbo on them, and they are pretty gutless compared to the powerstroke. But if you put a few bucks into a turbo and some other various upgrades, they can be made pull pretty hard.

I got mine through a freind of a freind that runs a concrete company. He owns 3 new ones and this was his oldest, so it was time to put her to pasture. I got a steal of a deal, but there are others out there.

You just want to make sure you are looking for the right things when shopping for old deisels tho.

You can go to sites like deisel stop, ford truck, or pirate in the tow rig section and get all kinds of advice on what to look for.

I was thinking 3/4ton before I found this truck. Then I found out from one site that the 3/4 doesnt come with the true d60 or as simple a front end as the 1 ton.

Lots of sites to help ya out with little things like that.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

gsxtacy

New truck
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2006, 05:38:52 PM »
ya, i was thinkuing about that.  i saw an f250 on the lot and i was like WOW, that's be perfect, but the dana 60 pumpkin didn't look the same.

i would for sure like a powerstroke and i would like it cheap, is there any equipment auctions i should know about?

thanx

tom

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
New truck
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2006, 09:52:26 AM »
The good news is. If you go with a F250, the dana60 F350 axle is a direct bolt in swap.

Something else I learned when I was sourcing my truck. That was my plan until I found the 350 I was looking for. Get a 250, then source a front d60 from somewhere like clarks and bolt it up.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

gsxtacy

New truck
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2006, 04:56:25 PM »
ya, for sure...  i was also thinking about getting a ittly bitty sonoma, dropping in a 454 bbc or a 400 sbc and putting big tires on it, but i think that'd be a tad more work.   ford sounds good

thanx for everything guys, now only to find the truck...

MTSman

New truck
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2006, 10:01:12 PM »
Hey gsxtacy, WHAT exactly would you be doing in the oilpatch to need a monster truck for?
I've been some pretty nasty places in the past few years and believe me, comfort and on road manners are a bigger concern. Some days I wind up driving 750kms of pavement to get to the lease road that maybe 10kms long.

Enlighten us please........