Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: New truck  (Read 12139 times)

gsxtacy

New truck
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2006, 10:16:47 PM »
well...i'll be doing ndt so i go wherever they need me.

plus, like i described to tom, i'd like to occasionally have fun with this truck

and i need space and provisions for very heavy equipment and i need this truck to be indestructable  because un-routine maintenance means down-time, and down-time means no cash flow...  thus, a monster truck style rig would be best.  i would like something small, but not too small, and able to take massive amounts of abuse because, well, that will be its chosen duty in life.

let's recap

M715: Wicked awesomecool but no parts make this kida tough
Dodge:$$ plus, cummins is too heavy
Mog:$$$$$$$$; unless i get a second hand one, then that would kick bunz
Chevy: $$ plus suspension is junk
Ford: Perfect, not too expensive plus, good suspension and can clear 35s with little cutting, I'm sold!

(there were more trucks suggested intermittenly but i chose to disreguard them because they were jokes, or were british.)

the sonoma idea was me n' a buddy thinking happy thoughts.  may come true, you never know.

peace

MTSman

New truck
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2006, 10:26:50 PM »
Where is your NDT taking place I'm assuming we're talking of non-destructive testing?

Maybe you'll make enough cash to buy a work truck AND all your dream rides........Old Flatfender Willys....Mahindra Jeep.......Full Size Jeep pickup.......and a MONSTER TRUCK :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

BTW you're way off base with the Dodge/Cummins, it's not significantly heavier than any of the other diesel powered rigs and has a shelf life of 500,000kms before a major O/H is recommended.
We have three 01 and 02 Ram 2500's with 250,000 to 425,000 kms on them and they're just as bulletproof as the Fords and far and away more dependable than the GM's

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
New truck
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2006, 07:50:00 AM »
My neighbors Dodge crew cab short box cummins is 1000lbs heavier then my f350 crew cab long box. Front end being well over half of that.

My front scaled at 2000kg, his at 2300. Most of that is motor.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

MTSman

New truck
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2006, 08:18:11 AM »
That's cuz' the Ford has tinfoil all around it for a body :shock:

Follow this link and you'll be a Cummins believer forever :D  :D  :D

http://inlinediesel.com/deathmatch/

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
New truck
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2006, 08:45:02 AM »
Actually its due to the cummins being almost half as much heavier then a psd or DM.

The rest is due to heavier frames in the last few years compared to the mid 90's.

I would never take anything from the cummins it is bar none the biggest, strongest deisel put in to domestic trucks.

But unlike most dodge owners, the rest of the world buys a truck, not a motor.

A ford or chev guy will refer to his truck as a ford or chev. A dodge man says he drives a cummins....lol

Hit the deisel boards, they do it all the time. Its pretty funny :D

Anyways, not here for a brand war. Personally I have never seen a diesel one ton work better in the bush then a ford, and neither has any of my consultants.

He is asking for a bush truck, so Im relaying my experiences. There is always someone loyal to some brand for one reason or another.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

gsxtacy

New truck
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2006, 09:44:37 PM »
mts, i believe in the engine, i love the ability to lug the hell out of a cummins.  my dad had a cummins dodge '87 or something like it and you could hear each individual cylinder fire climbing a hill we used to go have fun on, i just don't believe in the dodge.  like bnine said:"A dodge man says he drives a cummins"

and mts, the mog will be all the fun i could've had with any of the other rigs except for the mahindras...

they're junk

plus...i'd be too dangerous with my modding on a flatfender

i talked to redcougar, bnine, he said he could set me up with a mog 437 series for cheaper in exactly what i'm looking for.

900 km range with a tourquey (2nd vid explains) smooth engine
and for all of the rest of you, i think you'll find these movies amusing:

Unimog vs. bronco:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6876880683204121249&q=unimog

Unimog promo vid:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6084804848968005206&q=unimog

Fun in the sand:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6602152506380877027&q=unimog

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3961750704886288589

i've made my decision.  the unimog is my choice, it won't be very inexpensive, but it'll be very, very hard to kill.

thanx for everyone's help and comments.  Mercedes did it right.

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
New truck
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2006, 11:51:29 PM »
"comment recanted"

gsxtacy

New truck
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2006, 09:10:31 AM »
apex...i'm just about as nutz as they come.

redcougar in cochrane will supply parts with a single day overnight shipping policy... you could also just take it to a Mercedes Benz dealership who knows Unimog, there's a couple in Calgary here... so it's no biggy.

my neighbour even has one and i asked if i could borrow it for a day...he said sure so i testdrove it...loved it very much. (it was an older one tho, so i'm wondering if that's the nostalgia factor) they're surprisingly easy to drive and if you can handle a big doolie dodge or chev you can easily handle a mog.

it's what i'm looking for...diesel, indestructable with go-anywhere capabilities.