Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: project "city slicker"  (Read 5810 times)

Offline krusty2

• Baby Wheeler
project "city slicker"
« on: January 13, 2014, 05:46:28 PM »
After many years and parts from various members, my 88 xj is finally on the road. She still needs a bunch of small things but at least now it's drivable.
I decided to do a stock rebuild on the 4.0 that was in her, had the crank and rods machined and spent 2 years just gathering the bits and pieces to put it all back together again.
All sensors (but the TPS, someone needs to help me figure this one out) replaced with new. New mounts, just stockers for now.
5 Speed Not sure if it is the BA/10 or the AX15 but I'll figure it out.
3 1/2 lift with new coils and add a leafs. Longer shocks and a new steering stabilizer along with a RE adjustable track bar.
RE dropped rear braided lines and redone steel lines for the rear along with new cylinders and various components.
New ball joints, tie rods and hubs to the front. Custom t-case drop and axle u joints. drive shaft u joints as well.
Steel 15x8 with 31x10.5.x15 at's.
custom rock guards made out of scrap diamond plate.
3rd steering column, yes 3rd as people kept breaking windows and trying to steal it.
I have some bushwacker flares that i purchased used here that need some fixing first and then they will go on next.
92 mustang ministock
claimers K1 and k2
88 cherokee project city slicker..for now...

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: project "city slicker"
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 06:50:03 PM »
Stock '88 XJ had the BA/10 tranny.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline krusty2

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 10:28:54 AM »
Thanks for the info. Any idea of what TPS is being used? From what I have been able to find out the TH258 is what is listed for this year, motor and 5 speed, but the TPS does not have the 2 sets of leads on it so there has to be something else. It is a very expensive TPS so i dont want to keep getting the wrong one.
92 mustang ministock
claimers K1 and k2

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 09:22:44 PM »
Sorry been a while since I had my '89. I do know that the sensors are different from automatics and 5spds. The autos had 2 connectors if I remember correctly. I seem to also remember and annoying procedure using a multimeter to calibrate it when installed.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 09:52:05 PM by cLAY »

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 09:48:33 PM »
Here are the choices from NAPA, the autos had two plugs, the manuals just one.

My '89 had the middle one:

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 09:56:55 PM »
Just did an interchange on the TH258, it comes up as the 229325 which is what my '89 had on it with a 4.0l/5spd. If you have a two wire TPS that should have been for an auto.  Was it originally an auto and got converted to a 5psd? Perhaps the underhood harness got switched out?

Offline krusty2

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 10:28:15 AM »
Thank you very much for all of your help. everyone lists the th258 for a 88 with 5 speed and that is definately the wrong one. What we did was go back one year and check that listing and they came up with a th67 that has the 2 leads attached, so I ordered that one, I guess we will see.
can you tell me where I find the information on how to post pictures to this buildup posting?

thanks again.
92 mustang ministock
claimers K1 and k2

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 11:32:40 AM »
Th67 crosses over to the dual wire units that napa has listed for an automatic. Even for 1987 napa still has the single connector TPS listed for the 5spd. From what you described though you definatly have and automatic TPS installed on it.

What options package is it? Larado? Limited? Are you sure no one has messed around with it?

To post pics you have to upload the pics to a third part service such as photobucket or Facebook and then "link"'them to here.

Offline krusty2

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 11:57:42 AM »
This project has been a 5 yr build and sitting in my storage for about 7 yrs. It for sure could have been modified as i have had a ton of electrical to redo, but as far as the harness is it all seems to match up, so I'm not sure. I have gone through this thing front to back and am still working on a number of electrical issues but we are getting there. I'll let you know if this TPS works or not as the old one is not working correctly at all. It is a Laredo, 4.0, 5 speed, with power locks and power windows.
92 mustang ministock
claimers K1 and k2

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 02:17:34 PM »
Did you calibrate with current sensor with a multimeter? 

When I converted my '89 XJ from stick to auto the under hood harness was the same except for the TPS connector. Also a good chunk of the underhood harness extended into the cab. On the auto harness there was an extra harness that went over to the passenger side and behind the glove box was the module for the tranny. It about the size of deck of cards and there was a fuse in the harness that could be seen looking under the dash on the passenger side. Maybe check and see if you have that harness and module under the dash. Also maybe try decoding Vin and see if it was originally a stick or auto.

Autos also had a power/comfort switch on the dash. Do You have any thing like that on yours or an extra hole in the dash or unused harness?

What t case do you have?

Offline krusty2

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 11:30:03 AM »
That's good advice, I was actually thinking of doing some poking around to see if I could find a power train module. Thanks for making my adventure shorter and telling me where to look. I don't see the switch you are talking about but it could easily have been filled with another as they just snap in and out. i was also going to see if one of the TPS connectors fit the th258 and maybe the other one went to the trans PCM and I could bypass that one. I also thought about checking the VIN and seeing what it came up with. Is there a website that you know of that I can use?
Thanks again, I really appreciate the help and advice.
92 mustang ministock
claimers K1 and k2

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 12:26:07 PM »
Not sure where to get a vin for that decoded. Doubt Chrysler could as its an AMC build. Try
Www. Naxja.org
Someone there might be able to tell you which digit crosses over.

Offline krusty2

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 11:07:49 AM »
So I was able to find some VIN decoders on the web and it reads exactly as it is from the 5 speed to the Laredo trim. Not sure if someone had converted to auto and then back to 5 speed? Either way it's a bit confusing but I think I will just deal with it as it is. It looks like the connectors on both styles of TPS are the same but since the same plug goes to the engine ECU and the trans ECU is separate, I am not sure if it will really make a difference as to which one is installed. I am going to try both and see what happens, as it sits the idle is way to high. Also the cooling fan was kicking on and off and bizarre times, like cold startup. I changed the fan switch thinking it had to be faulty and still found it reacting the same way and I can hear the ECU by the accelerator clicking each time it goes on and off, not sure what the fix is for this one. I still have not gotten around to figuring out what T-case i have but I will get there.
Thanks.
92 mustang ministock
claimers K1 and k2

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 08:23:37 PM »
Have you done the calibration procedure for the TPS? Have you cleaned out the IAS?  Are all the Vacuum lines for the PCV system intact? Is the Vacuum system for the 4wd system intact and not leaking? These are problems I've had on my 1989 Larado and my dads 1990 Larado that gave hi or surging idles.

Tcases would be either:

Command Trac: found behind all 5psds and lower end autos. Is a 3 simple position case. 2WD, 4WD high, N, and 4Low, Ok so technically there are 4 positions but who counts "N"?

Select Trac: Found only on autos. So 2wd, 4wd Full Time(aka AWD), 4wd Part Time, N and 4 Low.

Unless someone has been swapping things you should have the Command Trac.

Fan is controlled along with the AC compressor. AC will come on when you are in defrost and AC positions.

Offline krusty2

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 04:07:36 PM »
I have been messing with that TPS so I would have to go back and redo the calibration, I still have to decide on the 2 wire or single wire TPS. Idle air, MAP and EGR are all new and I have not found any vac leaks as of yet. I have not checked into the system for the T-case, that's good advice, thanks. I was wondering about the EGR solenoid though.......T-case shifts in and out of 4wd quite quickly so I had not thought of checking those lines yet. Every time I start tracing something out I find another botched wiring job that I have to fix first. I have pulled evrything from extension cord to speaker wires out from under the hood and attached to switches inside the cab. It's been an adventure.
92 mustang ministock
claimers K1 and k2