Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Volunteers needed this saterday.  (Read 2500 times)

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
Volunteers needed this saterday.
« on: February 18, 2014, 09:44:38 PM »
Just got this email today. Can not make it gotta fix jeep. Damm trackbar/lockers.

Many of you may be aware of the work that has been going on with the Meadow Creek bridge at the base of Camp Hill aka the Hill to Nowhere on Lost Knife trail. The old bridge was removed and the bridge from the now closed section of Meadow Creek trail was relocated there in its place. This past fall in conjunction with the Ghost Watershed Alliance (GWAS) and Cows and Fish we were able to get a couple of environmental engineers out to the bridge to assess it. They have provided a plan for "armouring" the bridge against erosion and to help it survive another flood event.

Part of the recommendation includes planting willows along the river banks to prevent further erosion. Fortunately we can take cuttings from other willows in the area and store them until we're ready to do the work in May. This coming Saturday (Feb. 21st) we will be going out to Waiparous with the environmental engineers and representatives from GWAS and Cows and Fish to take the cuttings but we need volunteers!

I apologize for the short notice, but I only just got confirmation of the details today. The plan is to meet out at 4 Mile Creek, just past the entrance to Lost Knife at 9:30am. Volunteers should dress appropriately for the weather conditions that day and bring work gloves, large hand pruners, and if you have any toboggans or sleds to bring the cuttings back to the trucks that would be handy. Safety glasses might not be a bad idea either.

I will be at the Smitty's parking lot in Cochrane at 8am Saturday morning to lead people out at 8:30am sharp if they're unsure of the location.

Offline BurningChrome

• Stocker
Re: Volunteers needed this saterday.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 12:44:25 PM »
Here's some pics from yesterday to give you an idea of what we accomplished. The goal was to collect 2000 willow cuttings to be planted on the banks around the bridge. We had around 20 volunteers show up from CT4WD, CJA, Ghost Watershed Alliance Society, Cows and Fish, and even some local residents from the Waiparous and Benchlands area. Unfortunately we were only able to collect 1200 cuttings which means we'll have to plant 12 willows per linear metre instead of 20 per metre. The next part of the work for this bridge will take place on the weekend of May 9-11th. I'm hoping we can have a better turnout for that since there's more advanced notice than there was for yesterday. I'm also hoping that if the conditions are good that weekend we can camp either at the bridge site or at one of the group camping spots off the 40.

Pretty good turnout despite the weather.

DSC00575.jpg by BurningChr0me, on Flickr

DSC00576.jpg by BurningChr0me, on Flickr

DSC00577.jpg by BurningChr0me, on Flickr

Sawzall really does saw all. Probably one of the most versatile power tools out there.

DSC00570.jpg by BurningChr0me, on Flickr

Putting the bundles together. Each bundle has 20 cuttings.

DSC00573.jpg by BurningChr0me, on Flickr

DSC00580.jpg by BurningChr0me, on Flickr

One of the CT4WD members who had to cancel sent hot chocolate, chips, Vietnamese subs, cheese buns, and goodies from Amandine bakery.

DSC00578.jpg by BurningChr0me, on Flickr

DSC00579.jpg by BurningChr0me, on Flickr

Two Tacos and a Ridgeline stacked with cuttings to be transported to the storage site down Richard Road in the Waiparous area. They'll be packed in snow and straw and covered with a tarp until they're ready to be planted. The reason we had to go out now is that the willows have to be harvested in the winter while they're dormant. In the spring the snow that's packed around them will melt and help them spring new roots and the places we cut them from will also start to regrow.

DSC00581.jpg by BurningChr0me, on Flickr

DSC00582.jpg by BurningChr0me, on Flickr

One of the Tacos had to come back for a second load.

DSC00583.jpg by BurningChr0me, on Flickr

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 01:25:36 PM »
right on, thanks for doing this for 'us'.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 01:36:22 PM »
Wow! What a turnout! Thanks all, looks like you had a good day down there!
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline bRIBEGuy

• Budget Lift
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 07:43:12 PM »
The project went well I think, and was a lot of fun despite the cold weather.  CT4wd had a great showing, and were a group of really great guys (and a gal) to work with.
'00 XJ Classic, 3" OME lift, 32's, custom stereo.