Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Do you think the 4 wheel community has an image problem?  (Read 9946 times)

chadlh

User Fees and Enforcement
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2006, 06:21:34 PM »
I sort of see why trails have been shut down the way they have.  I agree that there are a few people that are ruining it for everyone.  To help divide those users that should be there and those that shouldn't why not have a pass for these areas.  The money collected from this pass could be used for increased inforcement.  I spent over $100 on my parks pass and yet I go to the Ghost way more often.  I'd rather spend money on the Ghost (and area) and see some of these issues taken care of.

I am one of those random camping campers.  I totally agree with what's been done so far.  It can only get worse before it gets better.  I've seen live trees cut down for fire wood.  If someone has that little knowledge of what to burn and what not to than they shouldn't be out there.  I went camping this last weekend (nice break from the rain) and found a beer can on the bank of a river crossing that I didn't see on the way in.  It's some of these things that have caused things to go the way they have.  Have someone check passes on the drive in and enforce rules on the trail.  That will allow those of us that are responsible to keep on enjoying things.

About the mud issue.  I think there is a difference between mud chunks falling off and just a bit of dust and grit from the gravel road.  Yes image is important but please my work van has as much dust and grit on it as my Jeep and I'm not going to wash either every time I drive it.  Everything comes down to COMMON SENSE and courtesy to others and the environment.

Tread Lightly

FeatherFoot

Do you think the 4 wheel community has an image problem?
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2006, 09:47:56 AM »
I don't think there is any doubt we are an identifiable group.

Justified or not, it appears most recognize we have an image problem.

If we are an identifiable group with a negative image, then anything that any one of us does individually that offends or annoys someone, is another negative against the group.  You may be an annonomus individual doing something annoying while driving the family sedan, but while in your rig anything that is annoying or offensive is interpreted as part of the off-road group.  One of "those" guys.

This week-end I just identified a perfectly innocent activity that will not contribute to anything as dramatic as trail closures but must be annoying as hell to an individual service station owner.  I identified it in part because I did it myself.

How many times have you gone through Bragg Creek in the morning and gassed up at the Shell, then returned in the evenining to air up at the Huskey.  I'll bet that compressor runs steady for a couple of hours every Saturday and Sunday with minimal compensation from "us".

I feel we need to be more cogniscent of any activity we take part in while driving our trucks because anything and everything we do stands a higher probability of being interpreted in a negative context first.

We can soap box all we want about freedoms and fairness, but it is human nature, not technical issues that we are up against on a daily basis. Some of the shortsightedness is "them", and some of it is "us".  Lets do the best we can to minimize "us" from that scenario.

Coolhand Luke

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2006, 10:24:12 AM »
I beleive the key to changing the image is education, education, education. Alot of people, including myself, have stated on this topic we need to educate and show regular folk what the majority of us are all about. Now after reading the last post, I beleive maybe we should always be educating our own. Some of us may be doing things to hurt our image and not even realize it or think about until pointed out. The best way is to point out what the infraction or no-no is and how that hurts us and how a regular person might perceive it. The more light bulbs going on in our heads the better. As in the "Goofy Hat Run" on Sunday, at drivers meeting you mentioned "Tread Lightly" and have practiced for years, which is totally respectable and  A-1 for being innovating in that practice, I'm sure way before any of us thought we would be where we are today, this club was using this as a standard policy. Might a few more minutes be spent on other aspects of images? Especially when there is new off-roaders and open run participants who do not belong to and attend your meetings and practice your Club policies. As in, right away for other trail users(atv,bikes), when driving in on gravel slowing right down and pull over far right so not to throw a shower of rocks and dust into a family outing, or picking up trash left by others, I do this no matter where I am. Some considerate things that sometimes don't seem so obvious.

HIWYH8R

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2006, 08:58:17 PM »
That's a good point Featherfoot, I never even thought about that, about airing up. First off why not fill up at the Husky where you come back to air up? Also if you have to air up how about a 5 or 10 buck tip or donation to the owner. I have my own OBA but thats a good point about the compressor running. I know my power meter starts going pretty good when my home compressor is running at 220 volts. If enough people donate then they could get a real good compressor with high CFM so it doesn't run so much.

Offline SwampRat

• UberWheeler
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2006, 06:13:31 AM »
I for one usually air up at the local service stations but I always gas up there, either on the way out or/and the the way back from the run.  When I air up on the way out, I ask if there is an air compressor I could use after te run.  I know the local businesses appreciate that.
I HATE mud and snow!!!!!!!
VE6DLR
VA6DLR