Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: super swamper ltb  (Read 3000 times)

Offline bradley

• Budget Lift
super swamper ltb
« on: April 18, 2014, 10:39:13 PM »
I am looking to buy a set of 35 inch super swamper ltb tires and am wondering if anyone on this forum has run them. The jeep they are going on only sees the road to and from the trail but i am still curious about road manners, I have read alot of reviews and they vary anywhere from completely undrivable on road to reviews saying they are driving them daily. Yes I know the road manners are not why you buy super swampers but it would be nice to know that they will get me to and from the trail without completely shaking the fillings from my teeth, or wearing so wonky it makes the jeep bunny hop.

thanks in advance
2002 jeep tj, 7 inch lift with long arm front and triangulated 4 link rear, 37x12.5x15 maxxis creepy crawler tires, custom front and rear bumpers, 12000 winch, G2 dana 44 front with detroit locker, 44 rear with spool, custom rear skins and flares, sye kit

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: super swamper ltb
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 11:56:10 PM »
I am looking to buy a set of 35 inch super swamper ltb tires and am wondering if anyone on this forum has run them. The jeep they are going on only sees the road to and from the trail but i am still curious about road manners, I have read alot of reviews and they vary anywhere from completely undrivable on road to reviews saying they are driving them daily. Yes I know the road manners are not why you buy super swampers but it would be nice to know that they will get me to and from the trail without completely shaking the fillings from my teeth, or wearing so wonky it makes the jeep bunny hop.

thanks in advance

I had 33's. The are the best tire for Alberta wheeling hands down. They handle on road better than boggers, but they are still a super swamper. I run with a guy who has a set of 33's and he drive his around town and to and from the trail. They can do it just fine, just don't expect a m/t radial ride.

Offline bradley

• Budget Lift
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 12:16:04 AM »
I had 33's. The are the best tire for Alberta wheeling hands down. They handle on road better than boggers, but they are still a super swamper. I run with a guy who has a set of 33's and he drive his around town and to and from the trail. They can do it just fine, just don't expect a m/t radial ride.

Thanks for the quick response. Did the tires get rougher as they wore or did they stay the same all they way threw?
2002 jeep tj, 7 inch lift with long arm front and triangulated 4 link rear, 37x12.5x15 maxxis creepy crawler tires, custom front and rear bumpers, 12000 winch, G2 dana 44 front with detroit locker, 44 rear with spool, custom rear skins and flares, sye kit

Offline LLYJ

• UberWheeler
  • carport ghetto fab
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 12:25:16 AM »
I've had a few sets of 33x13.5's - run surprising smooth on the highway for a swamper - usually a little outa shape and balance though, and yeah, the kick arse off road, except sand, in the dunes in Oregon they tried to go to china

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
51 Willys CJ3A - V6, SM420, T18, D44/27 lockers
93 YJ, starting to see light at the end of the carport
98 ZJ, 5.2l - DD with too many go go gadgets
05 Dodge 2500HD hauler

Offline bradley

• Budget Lift
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 12:42:56 AM »
I've had a few sets of 33x13.5's - run surprising smooth on the highway for a swamper - usually a little outa shape and balance though, and yeah, the kick arse off road, except sand, in the dunes in Oregon they tried to go to china

So they are pretty consistent threw out there life span ride wise? And it seems like balancing beads would be the way to go with these tires for sure.

Offline Fly Guy

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 07:07:21 AM »
I had some 34x10.5 on my TJ many years ago and they were fantastic off road. I normally ran A/T's on the street but these saw highway driving to get to the trails and were ok on the road. Flat spotted overnight but smoothed out after a few km. Mine balanced ok but next time I'd try the beads. I'd buy them again for a trail rig.

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 08:04:51 AM »

Thanks for the quick response. Did the tires get rougher as they wore or did they stay the same all they way threw?

I didn't notice any unusual wear, they are a hard tire. I don't think balanancw beads will do anything for them though.

Offline cjust

• UberWheeler
super swamper ltb
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 11:38:54 PM »
Ill give you a review after may long when i run mine too lethbridge and back

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket

Offline LLYJ

• UberWheeler
  • carport ghetto fab
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 09:52:54 AM »
Never kept them beyond 50% but never notice any change as they wore - if anything they ran smoother

05 Dodge 2500HD hauler

Offline LLYJ

• UberWheeler
  • carport ghetto fab
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 09:56:04 AM »
They are meant for a heavier rig than a YJ so you may wanna tinker with your on road air pressure a bit

05 Dodge 2500HD hauler

Offline Stainless

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 04:33:44 PM »
I ran a set of 31x11.5 LTBs for a couple seasons. They sound like a crop duster on the streets, and work like crazy on the trails. I bought them used at about 80% and they wore pretty quickly even on a "fun" truck that only saw a couple thousand kms per year, but the off-road capabilities were still really solid even when I sold them at about 50%. My buddy bought them and more or less used them up... still worked well until the end.

It's pretty much impossible to wheel in Alberta and not deal with mud, and the LTBs had no problems. Roots, shale, loose dirt... they got me through.

They did flat spot pretty badly, but it went away before long. I used 12oz of Airsoft beads in each, and they were surprisingly smooth on the highway. Really bad on wet pavement, and a waste of rubber on ice, but those aren't the reasons that one buys LTBs.

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 05:45:26 PM »

I ran a set of 35's on my XJ a few years ago and after ten minutes on the highway ,  remembered why I hate aggressive-lugged bias-ply tires. The flat spotting made morning drinking of coffee a PITA! Top speed was about 110kms/hr before I felt like parts were going to shake themselves loose . I did run 12 oz of air soft bb's . The noise emanating from beneath my Jeep was comparable to 4 Pratt & Whitneys at full boost. I found most Interco tires ( and I've run a lot) wore down unevenly with mixed highway/off-road use even with religious rotation.

But that's not why anyone really buys these tires.  I found the LTB's to chuck turf better than Boggers.  Superb in the mud and robust sidewalls resisted cuts when aired down to single-digit air pressure in the rocks.

The tires also exude a freaky kind of macho that you can't get running Duratracs. This is a good thing.
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline 4PLAYZJ

• UberWheeler
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 02:20:03 PM »
I had a set of 36" on my zj. I used 8 ounces of counteract and they were vibe free even up to 160. The flat spots weren't bad if I drove it on a regular basis but if it sat for a long time they would shake my teeth out almost all the way to McLean before they smoothed out.

Offline bradley

• Budget Lift
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 10:26:44 PM »
Thanks for the replys guys, but they told me it would take over a month to get a set of 35s at 4 wheel parts so i baught a set of 37x12.5 maxxis creepy crawlers they had sitting in the show room.

Had them out on the 26th cant believe how well they chewed, from snow to mud to the little bit of rock, and they cleaned out with very minimal rpm.