Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: waiparous vs mclean for beginners  (Read 4763 times)

Offline sealeste

• Stocker
waiparous vs mclean for beginners
« on: September 18, 2014, 11:02:14 AM »
Wondering where to go for a beginner. What would be the best place to start.... waiparous or mclean?

Offline sealeste

• Stocker
Re: waiparous vs mclean for beginners
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 11:04:53 AM »
I should also mention, I just got my jeep with no lift yet, and just stock tires. would like to just get out for a little bit to learn a little. Lift and 31's to come soon.

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 02:29:30 PM »
You can get into trouble in either place so definitely look to hook up with a few other guys when you go out.  That being said, the trails in Waiparous are quite limited compared to the trails at Mclean so technically Waiparous is the easier of the two.  One can definitely find some easy trails at McLean if you wanted too. 
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 10:07:29 PM »
Look for a stock jeep trail run. McLean and waiperous have scenic easy trails. Just have the right guide would be your safest bet.
Also, stock jeeps are fine but make sure you have proper tow hooks and a proper tug strap. We can't get you out if there's nothing to hook a strap to.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline taegeuk

• Budget Lift
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 04:47:28 AM »
I will be out there (waiporous) this weekend if you want to come for a easy trip to the lake ????
2000 TJ 4 1/2” x series lift, 35” wrangler MTR,TMR fenders & bumpers

Offline sealeste

• Stocker
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 08:01:09 PM »
If your going Sunday, we might be interested in joining you. Can't make it sat.

Offline taegeuk

• Budget Lift
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 11:33:54 PM »
Yup...pm sent
2000 TJ 4 1/2” x series lift, 35” wrangler MTR,TMR fenders & bumpers

Offline yycwrangler

• Stocker
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 10:10:46 AM »
As a new member to the site, I am also very interested in doing some easy trails next summer 2015. At that time I will have duratracs on my 2014 jeep but stock suspension. My question and please tell if there is a place I can find this info. I'd like to find maps of the various places a person can track run/logging roads or easy/moderate trails that I could take my wife for a run. It would great to end up by a lake or an overlooking a view..That kinda thing. So is there a book put out listing trails in waipourous/mclean even nordeq or down south.

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Al

Offline jkrubi

• Budget Lift
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 02:30:53 PM »
You can get trail maps of waiparous and mclean, at the information and trail heads if they have them in stock.
Please don't go into the back country by yourself, find atleast another 4x4 to go with incase something happens. As for a back country road maps you can buy them, but it will be for gravel roads thru the area, not the trails.

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
Re:
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 08:53:07 PM »
X2

Offline yycwrangler

• Stocker
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 10:47:52 PM »
Thanks jkrubi..Wise idea on having a few extra jeeps out there for my outings..Any specific thoughts on a good back country road map to buy or even download.. How about forestry roads that are open to the public for a nice Sunday drive.

Cheers
Al

Offline jkrubi

• Budget Lift
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 06:02:04 AM »
The back country road maps that you can buy are for the forestry trunk roads, gravel highways, stuff like that, 4x4 trails you pick up the maps at the trail head or download from esrd website. For a Sunday drive, you could try highway 66 and up and over the gravel road, or highway 40 (highwood pass) both of them are seasonal roads and shut down for the winter. Follow the road up pass the Nordic Center in Canmore, it will put you out on highway 40 around K country, Or get in on the stocker run on the 23, and watch for other open runs.
It hard to give option on what is good for people, as everybody opinion of what is a easy trail, light 4x4, is different.  I've been bored on some runs, and the guy behind/in front of me is having a great time, as it's his idea of 4x4, and vis versa.

Offline Matt4x4

• UberWheeler
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 10:31:16 PM »
I had an old XJ that I beat the crap out of out in maclean creek. I'd vote for maclean creek.
Best to get a winch and some good mud tires and always always always wheel with another vehicle!

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 07:46:20 PM »
Depends on the time of year.  Waiparous is the only place in the winter and you will learn a lot more about wheeling on those trails . They are fun.  McLean can be fun in the summer.  And like everyone says... go with other good folks and you will have a good time
04 TJ Rubi