Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: CB's  (Read 11864 times)

gcam

CB's
« on: June 21, 2006, 03:25:02 PM »
I would like to get a CB for trail rides, but would prefer to get a handhled unit.  Is there any problems with the hand held units? Can anyone suggest a brand or a source? thanks.

Geoff

Offline redbull

• UberWheeler
Re: CB's
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 03:34:42 PM »
Quote from: "gcam"
Is there any problems with the hand held units?

Yes, they pretty much all suck for range compared to a "real" unit. I believe the difference is mainly the antenna.

As a compromise, get yourself one of these:

COBRA 75 WX ST

Offline JohnB

• Budget Lift
CB's
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 04:12:00 PM »
A good combination unit is the Midland 75-822.  It has a vehicle adapter for power and antenna and quickly converts to a free handheld.

http://www.midlandradio.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3108

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
CB's
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 05:51:38 PM »
i got a cheap hand held from Princess Auto.
i than got a cable and antenna with quick release for the cb from Dean at Roadking.
It works awesome!
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

m0th

Re: CB's
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 06:15:51 PM »
Quote from: "redbull"
Quote from: "gcam"
Is there any problems with the hand held units?

Yes, they pretty much all suck for range compared to a "real" unit. I believe the difference is mainly the antenna.

As a compromise, get yourself one of these:

COBRA 75 WX ST

That's what I use. The handset is only in the Jeep on runs. The part you install in the Jeep is tiny (see the grey box on the folded down panel):

Add an antenna with a quick disconnect and no one will ever know there's a CB inside. I did the install on my Liberty with no drilling at all.

Jaguar

CB's
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 10:31:42 PM »
Do I need a License for a handheld CB radio? or is that just ham radios?

Offline Rookie

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • build it, break it, rebuild it better
CB's
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 12:06:56 AM »
FREEBIE

no licence is required for a cb  :D

Steve
TJ with some stuff

Offline redbull

• UberWheeler
CB's
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 09:00:03 PM »
FYI everyone, Wal-Mart just dropped the price on their base Cobra CB. $79

Dragonmaster

CB's
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 12:31:18 PM »
Where's the cheapest place to get a 75 wx st?

Da_chopper

CB's
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 12:55:16 PM »
Sandys cb Shoppe in Nisku, Last time I was there it was around $170 CAD.

m0th

CB's
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2006, 03:08:09 PM »
That's a good deal. I paid over $200 for mine at the Road King.

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
CB's
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2006, 05:21:36 PM »
2nd vote for the Princess auto ones.  Uber cheap, expandable with BNC terminal antenna. Audio output if you want to patch it into you stereo. Plus portable if you need.

Offline fony3

• UberWheeler
CB's
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2006, 04:59:09 PM »
I am looking at picking up a cobra 75 WX ST, and i am just wondering what am i looking at paying for an antenna? What kind of set ups do you guys have to remove the antenna when you are not on the trail.

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
CB's
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2006, 07:03:16 PM »
Quote from: "fony3"
I am looking at picking up a cobra 75 WX ST, and i am just wondering what am i looking at paying for an antenna? What kind of set ups do you guys have to remove the antenna when you are not on the trail.

I have seen lots of different mounts for the CB and antenna. My antenna mounting bracket is now bolted to the tire carrier. My first attempt to mount it was on the back bumper but it was exposed to getting ripped off on the bumps so I moved it.

The cord is run through the hole for wiring of the third brake light. Lots of guys have just run the wire under the top.  I just open the tail gate and remove my CB antenna if it is not going to be used for awhile, leaving the bracket in place.

The CB is held on to the back of the center console with Velcro tape. The Velcro tape seemed like an easy way to mount the unit. It did not take up leg room and is easy to remove but it is awkward to adjust the unit behind you and is mounted low if you get water in the jeep.  

Others have found different solutions. If they would post their ideas you can take the best of each system.
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline redbull

• UberWheeler
CB's
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2006, 08:17:02 PM »
Quote from: "fony3"

I have a Tera-Flex antenna bracket which mounts behind a tail light. The wire feeds into the wheel well and you decide where to drill a hole to bring it into the tub. I just screw the antenna in as needed. Usually I just leave it on the Jeep, no theft yet.

An antenna will be around $30. The bracket I got from NSOR, also about $30 and the antenna wire was about...yep $30. You'll also need an antenna mount to attach to the bracket. Mine was $29.95 or something.  :D