Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: CB's  (Read 11862 times)

gsxtacy

CB's
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2006, 07:12:18 PM »
good to hear... "breaker pigpen, this here's the duck... you wanna back offa them hogs 10 or so?  ya, 10 roger, them hogs is gettin' mighty intense up in here"

i have a firestik and have not had any need for an antenna spring. :smile:   it's the 6' model i think and i haven't had any problems yet.  You have another tough choice ahead of you as well...

which antenna topper?! :twisted:

Offline RedDog

• Budget Lift
CB's
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2006, 05:38:17 AM »
Quote from: "Spinalguy"
i got a cheap hand held from Princess Auto.
i than got a cable and antenna with quick release for the cb from Dean at Roadking.
It works awesome!

Do you have an email that works for Roadking?  I still can't find a unit here and I'll be going through Calgary next week.  I'd like to get my (lack of) CB situation dealt with and be set for club runs.  If I moved beyond a handheld, do they do installations right there?  Thanks.
I'd rather be dragging a club than clubbing in drag
05 TJ mildly enhanced • 08 Buell XB12XT • 08 Santa Cruz Superlight

Offline SwampRat

• UberWheeler
CB's
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2006, 09:41:34 AM »
I don't have an e-mail address for Dean but they're located on Barlow & Peagan, just east of Deerfoot.  Dean has numerous radios, hand helds, CBs, 12 meter and pretty much anything else you want.  He does installs but it depends how busy he is or if his wife is in working.  He can give excellent advise as to how to install as well.  Dean gives some pretty good deals as well.  Thanks, Doug
I HATE mud and snow!!!!!!!
VE6DLR
VA6DLR

Offline RedDog

• Budget Lift
CB's
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2006, 01:19:36 PM »
Thanks Doug.  I'm headed down to the Crowsnest and into Montana on Friday.  My plan is to be in Calgary for the commence of the business day and not leave town until the TJ has a CB radio one way or another.  If I'm not into Montana until Saturday as a result, so be it.

Much appreciated.

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
CB's
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2006, 07:58:00 PM »
Quote from: "SwampRat"
I don't have an e-mail address for Dean but they're located on Barlow & Peagan, just east of Deerfoot.  Dean has numerous radios, hand helds, CBs, 12 meter and pretty much anything else you want.  He does installs but it depends how busy he is or if his wife is in working.  He can give excellent advise as to how to install as well.  Dean gives some pretty good deals as well.  Thanks, Doug

True...

BTW....His shop is closed from the 23rd to the 27th... that's what it says on the shop's door.

Offline RedDog

• Budget Lift
CB's
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2006, 05:16:56 PM »
Thanks to all.  I finally actually found and spoke with Dean and he's going to take care of me and the Jeep on Friday morning.  I'm still debating hand held vs. install but a hand held would have to be powered/charged from the Jeep's power socket.  No way am I buying cases of batteries.  I also naturally assume a mounted unit with some form of exterior antenna would provide superior range.  Would I regret a hand held in short order and wind up switching later anyway?  Any last minute advice?  Thanks.

Duane

Offline fony3

• UberWheeler
CB's
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2006, 07:08:08 PM »
At last i am ready for install...and its raining...

I asked on page two, but it was the last post on the page so i'll try again. When using the add-a-fuse, what fuse should i tap into? And where i can i get them? radioshack, crappy tire?

And...is there anyone that could lend me an SWS...or possibly someone that could just help me tune this beast?

And reddog...i would advise, go big or go home  :wink: ...might as well get the mounted unit with the works. But i am just a beginner myself, so what do i know, HAHA

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
CB's
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2006, 07:34:03 PM »
Quote from: "fony3"
I asked on page two, but it was the last post on the page so i'll try again. When using the add-a-fuse, what fuse should i tap into? And where i can i get them? radioshack, crappy tire?

I haven't seen em at Radio Shack, or Circuit City. Canadian Tire has em.
Preferable to do direct to battery, but that may not always be the most easy way. Find a fuse that has a constant voltage to it, even with the ignition off.
Cause on the trail its handy to have the cb work when the motor isn't running. Your call. Otherwise just about any fuse will work. Keep it to 10A though.

Quote from: "fony3"

And...is there anyone that could lend me an SWS...or possibly someone that could just help me tune this beast?

Tuning is easy, I have a meter and its home is in my rig, if you come to the meeting in sept I can help you tune it. If you need tunage before the long weekend, then you might be out of luck.

Good luck!
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

Offline fony3

• UberWheeler
CB's
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2006, 09:19:56 PM »
I found one at CT, 15 bucks, woozers.
I like the idea of constant voltage, i am assuming if the remote isnt plugged in, the unit will be off.

When i use it, i am guessing i throw in 2 10A fuses in a 10A spot..
Thanks Again.

m0th

CB's
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2006, 09:20:06 PM »
I got my add-a-fuse from Napa. Shared it with the radio. I was going to wire it direct to the battery, but knowing me I'd forget to turn the damn thing off. :)

Edit: Yup, I have two 10A in mine. Rarely run the radio and the CB together anyway.

Offline fony3

• UberWheeler
CB's
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2006, 09:26:33 PM »
Yeah, i guess you really wouldnt run em together...good idea. I'll have to take a look at the old fuse pannel and see what else there is, the door detector (fuse4) would be a decent one as well i think.

Offline RedDog

• Budget Lift
CB's
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2006, 04:11:05 PM »
Thanks to all for the advise on Dean Allen of Contek Services at RoadKing.  He was everything you guys said and more.  He set me up sweeeeeeeeet this morning with a kick-azz CB and antenna set-up so I'm trail ready!

I spent a lot more than I had planned but threw caution to the wind and did it right when I saw all the goodies on hand.  I also don't mind supporting a true professional any day.

Offline Yellow RUBI

• Budget Lift
  • She Thinks My Tractions Sexy!
CB's
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2006, 02:02:01 PM »
Hi ppl,
I'm new to the board and just spotted this one but thought that I could offer some info.
I'm a long haul trucker AND a lic. ham operator so I do know what I'm talking about.
First off its better to have a suppiror antenna and coax with a poor radio, then a good radio and poor antenna and coax. The reason is that a crap antenna  will reflect your signalback into the radio and possibly dammage the radio.
While poor coax will have high signal loss, and be suseptible to transmiting and recieving interferance.
Firestick and wilson silverload antennas are good stuff, though be aware that due to the fact that they are top load antennas (the wire is mostly coiled around the top) they tend to be affected more by the wind, and the longer they are the more so.
Unfortunately with antennas longer is better. Just make sure that the top of  your antenna is above the roof for best peformance.
Avoid springs as they rust and rust does not carry signal well.
I have used a quick release on my pickup for several years with no trouble at all.
 I pesonaly like to use FRANCIS antennas.
I will answer any other Qs I can if asked, & I hope to start making some of the meetings where I'll be very willing to help.
Brad
Take a Compass!
Its Awkward when you have to eat your friends !