Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: What winch should I buy?  (Read 3230 times)

02TJSport

What winch should I buy?
« on: June 21, 2006, 08:11:47 PM »
Ok I'm looking into buying a winch and kind of doing the research. Now I know Warn is the best as far as quality but I'm trying to keep the price down a bit.

What are your guys thoughts on Mile-Maker? I found a 9000lb one for 399US price at ttp://www.quadratec.com/products/92110_103_07.htm

Any tips would be apreciated as I am considering this instead of sthe costco one or may be able to spend a litle more money but not a whole lot right now.

Offline Robb

• Baby Wheeler
    • Calgary Real Estate
What winch should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 10:36:25 PM »
In all honesty, Go with a warn if you can afford it, if not get a costco one.

The Champion (read: Costco) isn't that bad of a winch.  They do pull hard, but will burn out if you overheat them.   Run it for 1 minute, and let it cool for 2.

Here is my basic breakdown of winches that I've owned:

Ramsey 10000 - Pulled slow and hard, couldpull all day without a worry.
Warn 8000 upright - Pulled fast without load, bogged down and worked hard when you needed it too.  Not a friend of water.
Warn M8000 (lay down) A bit awkward to mount on my truck, same as above.
Champion 8000 - Can't beat the price.  Worth having on the front for when you need it.  Wouldn't put it on anything with 35"+ tires because you'll be doing long pulls out of bad places.  For the average wheeler, just the right amount of winch.

I don't have any first hand experience with the mile markers, maybe someone else can comment on them.

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
What winch should I buy?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 10:40:29 PM »
This is the winch I just picked up while on vacation in the USA

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SPW%2D09034&N=400086+308327+115&autoview=sku

National also carries this winch in Calgary. Remember to budget for the mounting plate it adds to the cost. You could also try to find a used Warn on one of the sites, it may save you some $. Good luck with the choice.
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
Re: What winch should I buy?
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 05:09:02 AM »
What are your guys thoughts on Mile-Maker?

Ask bnine... he as an hydrolic one or haywire ...he sells them in Olds.

These guys should be able to give you some good comments on the Mile Markers.

Good luck

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
What winch should I buy?
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 09:23:48 AM »
8274-50 ALL THE WAY.  pulled extremely hard, great design, lots of cable and can run it forever.  I did about 10 min of straight winching with mine and no problems
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
What winch should I buy?
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 09:52:59 AM »
Mile marker is a hydraulic company that starting making electrics. Their electrics are not very good. I dont really know anyone that likes them.

If you are a mild wheeler Id recommend a small warn over the other winches.

We have used a warn 6000 for almost 5 years now without an issue. I have yet to get into a spot it wouldnt pull me out of, it just needs breaks and a snatch block sometimes if its a brutal pull.

Personally I would pick speed and reliability for a few extra $ over a bit more pull power for a few dollars less.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

TOYZ

What winch should I buy?
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 07:08:24 PM »
I have the champion 9500 and I'm quite happy with it so far