Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: more trails affected www.braggcreek.ca/forest/  (Read 1620 times)

Offline ornamental

• UberWheeler
    • http://www.webshots/users/yeungstreet
more trails affected www.braggcreek.ca/forest/
« on: June 22, 2006, 07:04:02 PM »
i found this on www.pinkbike.com    :(

Dear Pinkbike and the Mountain Biking Community of Calgary and Area,

I saw an article on your website regarding clear cut logging in the Bragg Creek area. Well, tonight I went to a meeting at Mount Royal College regarding this disturbing issue. You see, this will dramatically affect anyone who mountain bikes, hikes or uses this popular recreation area. Spray Lake Sawmills, through a Forest Management Agreement with the government plans on clear cutting areas of West Bragg, Moose Mountain, Sheep, Elbow and Jumpingpound trail systems. As far as mountain bikers go, we would lose many our most popular trails. They would become open fields of tree stumps. I am not even going to go into further detail of how it will impact our environment and watershed (which by the way supplies drinking water to over 450,000 people). What’s worse is we have only until FRIDAY JUNE 23RD for our voices to be heard. After that, it would be 10 years before we have a say in how this land could be managed as that is when the government will review this issue. I say take 10 minutes to write a letter and email it to your MLA, the Minister for Sustainable Resource Development, the Minister for environment, the Minister for Community Development and Spray Lake Sawmills. Calgary Alderman Barry Erskine gave advice regarding writing your letter. Basically, keep it concise highlighting the major points you want to get across. Do not threaten anybody as they will just throw the letter out. State what is at stake for you personally. Do not waste your time on generic letters or petitions. You don’t have to write a novel just that you are in disagreement with the clear cutting and that you request more time be given to debate this issue fairly. Please go www.braggcreek.ca/forest on more information. If you ride at Moose, West Bragg or any of the other trail systems then you need to help save mountain biking in this area and you need to do it NOW! Thank you for your time,

Angie Davies

PS-Please pass this on to anyone you know who loves to bike. I wish I knew more.

http://www.braggcreek.ca/forest/