Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: What would you choose as a reliable Daily Driver/Wheeler?  (Read 4201 times)

Offline Matt4x4

• UberWheeler
What would you choose as a reliable Daily Driver/Wheeler?
« on: December 09, 2014, 10:33:16 PM »
I was thinking about buying a truck, primarly a 1992-1996 F150 ext cab 4x4.
I was also looking at the 2001 Ford F150 Supercrews, but the IFS is a deal breaker for me.
Then I started looking at used car dealer lots, and am fond of the 4x4 4 door dodge rams, and the 4x4 4 door chev/gmc 1500's.
I noticed on the dodge rams, the rear door window seems small, the rear area looks a little bigger then an extended cab. I dont think 4 adults could fit in it.
I will take one for a test drive tomorrow at the auto mall.

So I went over to Pick and Pull over on Glenmore, just took a peek into their truck area.
Found that there were a limited number of Ford F150's, but tons of Chev/gmc trucks. Even some newer ones, including expidetions.
Rarely found any really old trucks there. Which got me thinking, parts availablity is huge for chev/gmc trucks, but that tells me they break down way more then Ford. Or that Chev/gmc are more widely available then fords.

This makes me wonder at which way I should go.

I am trully fond of Jeep's, the Cherokees I love, because I have fixed a few of them.
I like the Suzuki/Geo Trackers 4 door for their fuel mileage, but parts will be hard to find when it breaks down, so I scratched that off the list.
Then I look at the Ford Explorer's, was thinking 1995 or newer for the 8.8 rears with disc. There are a ton available on kijiji. So I will have to go back to PNP to see whats available in their yard, along with the cherokees.

Is this a wise idea to base my used vehicle purchase on whats available at PNP?
I am not going to spend $10k on a truck, right now, so the newer supercrew f150's, crewcab chev/gmcs are off the list.

I guess it breaks down to the Jeep Cherokee's and the Ford Explorers. They seem to get 13mpg city and 18mpg highway. I cant remember what my 88 XJ got, I think for every liter I would get 8km out of it.

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
Re: What would you choose as a reliable Daily Driver/Wheeler?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 09:11:21 AM »

Is this a wise idea to base my used vehicle purchase on whats available at PNP?

I find that sentence hilarious given the title of the thread! I think you answered your own question with your question.... :o

Check this out

http://www.tradeinqualityindex.com/
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 09:15:00 AM by Jrama »

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 09:46:45 AM »
go for the explorer.  you can't literally give them away and theres alot of newer ones at PNP.
i think i pulled my 8.8 out of 2003 or something. not bad.

i wouldn't use the word 'reliable' in this thread though..........
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline raf2379

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 12:46:14 PM »
forget the exploder, get a 97 and up Cherokee with the 8.25 axle and the 4.0L you cant go wrong.

whats so special about these 8.8 axles anyways?  is it that they have disc brakes? you can convert the 8.25 with this kit http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/tmi-4354425/overview/
I don't think the 8.8 is any stronger than a 29 spline 8.25, but that's another debate.

anyways XJ for sure

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 01:16:33 PM »
Xj has got to be best bang for buck. Decent fuel mileage if you leave it stock, parts everywhere, easy to work on, easy to upgrade. Can tow a little and fits four adults, and it wheels pretty good with good tires and a locker.
If you need a truck I've been happy with my '01 ram 1500. Good power, ok fuel mileage, solid front axle, back seat can fit adults if you have to. Prices are pretty good for the '98-'01.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline JENSSEN

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Racing For The Cure
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 07:48:26 PM »
Another vote for the Cherokee, nice power in the 97-01, I prefer 98-99 for the HP front axle, good power as noted, good interior, to get better MPG I have recently enjoyed a good cat back exhaust on mine seeing 1-3mpg gains. I like the 91-96 as well as they seem to have better electronics like door lock switch assemblies, better quality wiringand a few other things. Rust is now the biggest killer of XJ's as a somewhat maintained driveline seems to last forever ,.. My old XJ is still going at 600k-ish
www.racingforthecure.ca

Definition of Link to this definition of Blasphemy
1. [n] blasphemous behavior; the act of depriving something of its sacred character;

Offline corsjeep

• Budget Lift
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 09:44:13 PM »
When you do decide to buy a truck I'd go with Chev/GMC. I've had a 2001 F150 supercrew, a 2008 F150 crew, an 2007 Silverado (company truck) and now a 2010 GMC Sierra. The Fords from 97-2011 have the 5.4 V8, notorious for all kinds of issues- spark plugs seizing/breaking, exhaust manifolds that crack, cam phaser and timing chain issues (04-up) coil failures (I used to keep a few spare coils in my glove box) Plus they're pretty gutless and suck fuel.

The GM's with the 5.3 Vortec is an excellent engine, easy to work on too. Seems whenever I go to PNP to look for GM parts all I find are Fords lol.

I only had one Dodge. a 2005 with the hemi and rare as hell all wheel drive option. Nice truck but my goodness did it suck gas! 11-12 MPG was all she could muster. Only kept it 6 months.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 08:54:42 AM »

whats so special about these 8.8 axles anyways?  is it that they have disc brakes? you can convert the 8.25 with this kit http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/tmi-4354425/overview/
I don't think the 8.8 is any stronger than a 29 spline 8.25, but that's another debate.

no debate, 8.8 is superior.......  ;) 

Offline Matt4x4

• UberWheeler
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 07:06:44 PM »
Yeah, I am temtped to revert back to the old XJ's. They are sweet with the solid front axle.
I went to pick and pull today - again, did a written down count of Trucks and SUV's. There are tons of Blazers/Jimmys, less Ford Explorers which seems to be a lemon but love the styling.
There are tons of GMC/Chev Trucks 88-98.  Limited number of XJ's and ZJ's, one 4 door Tracker, 6-8 Pathfinders, 3-4 Unibody Durangos.
I got it down to the Blazer, Jimmy, XJ's.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 12:23:17 AM »
you're drunk to not include exploders in there. not that i care. but...... there are tonnes there all the time. but its a jeep site so the fact you actually considered anything other than an XJ is awesome LOL

blazer//XJ/ZJ/Exploder are all wins IMO ...... for your goals

Offline Matt4x4

• UberWheeler
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 05:53:13 PM »
3rd Gen 2002-2005 and 4th Gen 2006-2010 Explorer is the way to go I think. Both of those generations are body-on-frame, The newer 5th Gen's are unibody.
I found with the XJ's, they were too short - length wise, with little elbow room, I like something I can sleep in and looks modern.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 03:29:14 PM »
3rd Gen 2002-2005 and 4th Gen 2006-2010 Explorer is the way to go I think. Both of those generations are body-on-frame, The newer 5th Gen's are unibody.
I found with the XJ's, they were too short - length wise, with little elbow room, I like something I can sleep in and looks modern.

And you'll wheel a newer explorer where? The trails out here would kill an explorer pretty quick... Unless you're just looking for the easiest of trails.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline Black Betty

• UberWheeler
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 08:43:14 AM »
Reliable daily driver good for wheeling?  ????

Explorers are nice, but I'm not sure of the aftermarket support on them, and if I recall, they are IFS too.

Buy yourself your daily driver then pick up a $1000 XJ for wheeling so you don't have to worry about it getting you to work on Monday when you wheel the living you-know-what out of it.
06 wk-soccer mom mobile aka Betty J
99 xj- Black Betty, 2" OME lift
94 yj- needs to be lifted aka Betty Rubble

Stupid hurts

Offline Dingleberry

• UberWheeler
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 10:53:43 AM »
Reliable daily driver good for wheeling?  ????

Explorers are nice, but I'm not sure of the aftermarket support on them, and if I recall, they are IFS too.

Buy yourself your daily driver then pick up a $1000 XJ for wheeling so you don't have to worry about it getting you to work on Monday when you wheel the living you-know-what out of it.

Insuring two vehicles gets pretty pricey though.

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 12:20:31 PM »
Only if you're a Limey. We drive on the correct side of the road.
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!