Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: headlight conversion  (Read 1721 times)

Offline mbate570

• Stocker
headlight conversion
« on: February 24, 2015, 09:54:09 PM »
Hey guys,

I am looking at converting my headlights from sealed beams in my '99 xj.

The links below have some varying data about the right size of light, 5x7 or 6x7.  I was wondering if anyone would be able to help out with the right size.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/headlight-conversion-size-75980/
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/headlight-size-96338/

This link has alot of info on it about types of lights and how some are not street legal.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/headlight-upgrades-151217/

I was wondering if anyone knew what Canadian law is for light brightness.

Thanks for your input and help

Offline Dingleberry

• UberWheeler
Re: headlight conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 10:47:13 PM »
If I remember right, to keep within the law, your low beam's maximum output should be 55W, and the high beam at 60W.

The third link you posted has all the info you need, in the first post.
Upgraded wiring harness is the first thing you ought to consider. This will vastly improve the output from your sealed beam headlights, as well as the H4 bulbs you are converting to. If you can follow the instructions, its fairly easy to make your own wiring harness, using parts from your local auto parts store. Auto Value carries everything you'd need.
Secondly, converting to H4-compatible lenses. You can get these locally, Auto Value until recently used to carry the Hella H4 conversion lenses, I'm not too sure who else carries them though, its been a while since I've looked. The Hella and IPF branded conversion kits are of much higher quality than the Autopal ones you can buy off ebay. I've tried them both.

Keep in mind, if you go wheeling in the mud, higher wattage bulbs means your glass headlight lenses get hot. If you nose-dive in to a cold mud-hole, the lenses will be prone to cracking due to the immediate temperature change.

Personally I run a self-made wiring harness with the Hella housings and IPF fatboy H4 bulbs, have also tried a set of 80w/130w bulbs.
As long as you have a good lens, and the right bulb-type for what that lens was designed for (ie. halogen, NOT xenon unless you get projector lenses) then you won't be scattering light up into the eyes of oncoming motorists on the highway, and will stay out of trouble.

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 06:18:33 AM »
2x with everything dingle berry says. Change wiring harness first as you will not be able to take advantage of the better quality head lights.
Hella glass is a lot stronger then ipf. Gone through lots of ipf glass cause of rocks on deerfoot trail.
Was given a set of autopals glass. They would not fit the factory head light bucket without mods and throw light everywhere but road.
55/60 watt bulbs are legal. Have tried the higher ones like 80/100 and they where to bright as everyone flashes you. Have used 55/100 watt bulbs with really good success. Any thing over 100 watts on the bulbs you get white out on all signs. Ie stop signs are all white as touch reflection. Not safe for you.   
When you do your wiring harness. You take the head light switch from existing wiring harness. The drl or day time light relay will put your lights on high beam all the time. So what I did was remove the drl and you will need to run a short jumper wire on the plugin to get the high beam indicator to work on the dash. Five minutes with a test light will tell you where it goes.

Offline EEP

• UberWheeler
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 05:18:44 PM »
Another option is Trucklite LED's. They make a 5x7 that fits XJ. They are quite pricey.
01 XJ, RE 3.5" lift, Smittybilt XRC front & rear bumper, X2O 8,000 lb winch, 33" MT/R's
, ARB snorkel, lockers and a bunch of other stuff
06 TJ, 2" lift, 31" Goodyear Territory's.
14 JKU, wife's urban 4X4.