Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Free Air......Where?  (Read 6612 times)

Offline Matt4x4

• UberWheeler
Free Air......Where?
« on: March 29, 2015, 10:40:43 PM »
Everyone seems to be charging for air now, where are there places that offer free air?
Centex on Elbow is where I go for.....free air!

Offline Dingleberry

• UberWheeler
Re: Free Air......Where?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 01:48:00 AM »
Plenty of gas stations will allow you to use the air for free after purchasing gas.

Why not just buy your own compressor?

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
Re:
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 11:21:08 AM »
Didn't realize air was such a hard thing to come by.  It isn't free for them to run and operate the compressors, why shouldn't they charge?

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
Re: Re:
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 12:00:04 PM »
Didn't realize air was such a hard thing to come by.  It isn't free for them to run and operate the compressors, why shouldn't they charge?
I completely disagree. Everybody is trying to nickel and dime the average consumer to death. Air should be free, a simple gift to people that religiously fill up at the same location. What does that air actually cost them. A penny, 0.25$.  Why do they need to make up to 1000% profit from it. Now the exception to the rule is the non profit versions that are for charity. That, I'm completely on board for. I understand a lot of the price is probably for the dick heads that abuse the air station (don't put the hose back in an organized way, drive over the hose etc). Please if you find a free air station, treat it with respect.  You may have discovered the last unicorn.

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
Re:
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 12:17:29 PM »
And to add to that. Kal tire, fountain tire, etc offer free air. But as Dingleberry said. Get a compressor. You need one for airing up anyway. After Airing up 4 35" tires and dropping 6$ in a machine, that's the quarter of the price of a crappy compressor for free air anywhere.

Offline LLYJ

• UberWheeler
  • carport ghetto fab
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 01:25:35 PM »
The Petro Canada's in Canmore, Banff and Lake Louise have a "free air" button behind the till, they will turn it on if you ask nicely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
51 Willys CJ3A - V6, SM420, T18, D44/27 lockers
93 YJ, starting to see light at the end of the carport
98 ZJ, 5.2l - DD with too many go go gadgets
05 Dodge 2500HD hauler

Offline Elver

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 02:05:02 PM »
I can't understand why they charge for the air. I'm from Brazil and all the gas stations have free air. On top of that, almost all of them use digital air stations where you put the pressure # you want and the machine will beep once the configured value is reached. I never saw one of those digital stations here in Canada... they are awesome!

I have my own compressor, a cheap one (45/50 bucks), but you have to remember they are not totally "free" as mentioned above. Most of the times you have to keep the engine on when you are using it and they may take 3-5 minutes per tire to reach the right pressure.
2012 JKU Rubicon - Synergy 3.5" | Hankook 35" | Warn 9.5CTi

Offline Dingleberry

• UberWheeler
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 02:52:14 PM »
... but you have to remember they are not totally "free" as mentioned above. Most of the times you have to keep the engine on when you are using it and they may take 3-5 minutes per tire to reach the right pressure.

So you used 50¢ of gas to fill your tires :P

Offline Pookapotamus

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 07:24:56 PM »
Calgary main AMA has a pump that is free for members.

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 08:52:39 PM »
Just spend five bucks in gas and kill 45 mins or so come out to Okotoks and you can use my air for "free".
Then after that, you can swing by Strathmore on the way home and fill up to save .02/liter on fuel.
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline Black Betty

• UberWheeler
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 06:10:00 AM »
One gas station owner explained to me it was to help pay for the cost of hose and handle on the end.  People don't give a crap about it, leave it on the ground , drive over it etc.  She had 4 or so handles stolen in the span of a couple months.

I bought my own compressor finally.  $25 for a 1977 Folney.  It purrs like a kitten.  Maybe hydrostaticing the tank is a good idea lol.
06 wk-soccer mom mobile aka Betty J
99 xj- Black Betty, 2" OME lift
94 yj- needs to be lifted aka Betty Rubble

Stupid hurts

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
Re:
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 12:20:33 PM »
Hydroing that tank is just as smart as driving to okotoks to use Vince ' s air. If you are concerned, throw a new tank on it.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re:
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 10:37:51 PM »
Hydroing that tank is just as smart as driving to okotoks to use Vince ' s air. If you are concerned, throw a new tank on it.

Hey!!!! Whats wrong with my air?
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline Elver

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 08:31:58 AM »
So you used 50¢ of gas to fill your tires :P

You can either spend $1 to use the air station for about 5 minutes or spend $0.50 in gas using your own compressor for about 15 minutes. Still not free  8).
2012 JKU Rubicon - Synergy 3.5" | Hankook 35" | Warn 9.5CTi

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
Re:
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 08:32:20 AM »
It's the best air in okotoks.....but it IS in okotoks. Plus it has been contaminated with LJ cooties.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(