Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Canadian Tire Parts - Southland - NEVER BUY FROM CANADIAN TIRE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 5048 times)

Offline Matt4x4

• UberWheeler
I went to Canadian Tire at Southland and Macleod the other day. Bought pads and rotors all the way around.
The rear rotors that were in the box were rusted and used. I did notice however that the tape was cut on the box. Funny how the clerk never bothered to look inside.
I go and return them to another store, the clerk their said they had a similar problem, with parts from the same store, with a fellow buying an Alternator, the box contained a used Alternator.
To be honest they did refund my money after about 3 different guys looked at it and I explained what happened. The first guy who looked like the manager was real skeptical. I was about to blow up on 'em.
Luckily I didnt get the truck all apart before looking at it. Otherwise I would have been even more upset.

Never again am I going to buy parts from Canadian Tire, or Parts Source which if I am not mistaken are owned by the same company, which also owns Marks Work Warehouse clothing store.
To be quite frank with you, I will never ever buy parts from either company again. I will probably never go into a CT store again to buy anything.

I am going to have a quick chat with a guy I know who works at the counter at another CT branch  and see what he says, if he came across same issue and what he thinks of parts from CT.
Another master mechanic I know I will have a chat with and see what he thinks of CT parts and service from them.

Unbelievable, looking back on it, I think its an inside job. Those rotors are not cores, so its at best a mechanic if they are allowed in the parts dept, or the counter clerks. I often wonder if they are commissioned at CT, my sneaking suspicion is they are but I will confirm with the CT guy I know. I know my master mechanic friend was commissioned at a gas station/seperate name repair shop unlike years ago when they were one in the same. I wonder why they are doing that now, I heard him mention that if a customer thinks they got ripped off by mechanic, they never buy from gas station again, or vice versa.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM CANADIAN TIRE, AVOID THE ENTIRE STORE AT ALL COSTS! .....even the credit card punk who hounds ya down when you walk in the store!

Offline Drambuie89

• Budget Lift
  • Project Agent Orange
Re:
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 01:15:47 AM »
I for one am one of those guys who shops at CT more often than I do the grocery store.  I don't buy parts there though,  I have another local shop I order parts through.

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
Sounds like some guy stealing parts from the store and putting used ones in the box.

You had the unfortunate experience of returning your parts and getting your money back.....not sure how that's bad service...Can you understand why someone returning used parts may look suspicious?? They are individuals doing a job not a indoctrinated national cult.

crap happens..... Move on

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
you're lucky i'm not there. i'd say YOU were trying to return used pads and get new ones for free. but i'm a dick like that. 

and to ensure nothing like that EVER happens there is a VERY easy way to check.. when you buy parts, open the damn box and ensure the parts are correct and new. 

if they're old crap then you spaz at em, they have proof theres misdeeds going on, and you can get new pads free and maybe even the upgraded ones for no extra cost. 

so, the lesson is not to never shop at Canadian Tire, the lesson is to check your damn parts before you buy, and if you're to dumb to do that then you deserve to get ripped off in the future.
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline XJHERO

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Soberphobic
you're lucky i'm not there. i'd say YOU were trying to return used pads and get new ones for free. but i'm a dick like that. 

and to ensure nothing like that EVER happens there is a VERY easy way to check.. when you buy parts, open the damn box and ensure the parts are correct and new. 

if they're old crap then you spaz at em, they have proof theres misdeeds going on, and you can get new pads free and maybe even the upgraded ones for no extra cost. 

so, the lesson is not to never shop at Canadian Tire, the lesson is to check your damn parts before you buy, and if you're to dumb to do that then you deserve to get ripped off in the future.
Just was I was thinking
Like ivry soap....pure as frack
DD
Get at me Wolf

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!

Johnny for Premier!!
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
This is the kind of guy that people in retail hate dealing with.

Offline Dingleberry

• UberWheeler
Never again am I going to buy parts from Canadian Tire, or Parts Source which if I am not mistaken are owned by the same company, which also owns Marks Work Warehouse clothing store.
To be quite frank with you, I will never ever buy parts from either company again. I will probably never go into a CT store again to buy anything.

By that same logic: if you ate a steak that gave you an upset tummy, would you vow never again to eat food? Or drink water, since its related? And 'advise your friends' (read: post on forums of the interwebs because we know you don't have RL friends) to do the same?

Offline Duncan71

• Budget Lift
Not to sound like a dick, but really, you live in a world where the dude in the 7-Eleven parking lot is willing to knife you to death over the change from your Slurpee, but you're going to get all upset about some $8 an hour kids, being $8 an hour kids and goofing with some parts.  Honestly, when I was a punk kid selling parts making 8 bucks to build my jeep or cutlass, was I going to check your $20 dollar budget drum brakes before sending em out the door?  NOPE.  And if a guy comes back in with a 'tude about it, im gonna give him what for too!  If you want $15-25/hour service, go buy the fancy brakes from 4wheelparts or Modern, or go buy the overpriced rich ones from the dealer.  But if you want the cheap ones, and the kids at C-tire have been slacking, well, take it in stride, go have a friendly chit chat with the manager, flash a smile, get you new parts and be on your way - who knows, maybe youll run into a cute cashier on your second visit.   Reeeellllaaaaaxxxxx......

Offline Matt4x4

• UberWheeler
I say I shouldnt have to look in each and every box, and hence look at each and every little bit and piece, the clerk should have...Or better yet, the recieving dock person should have.
This shouldnt have even happened, but it did, and not just me. This is not an isolated case. They know something is wrong with their low wage employees.
Along your reasoning you should then open EVERYTHING you ever buy from every store you buy from. That is purely Unrealisitc! 
Besides there was a pile of parts I bought not just 2 small boxes. I shouldnt have to open all 14 boxes.

I have heard other stories coming out of Canadian Tire garages, this just seals the deal.

I ended up going to Kingsway Auto, came to $220 for premium parts.
Canadian Tire was $340 for low quality parts.

Offline Drambuie89

• Budget Lift
  • Project Agent Orange
Re:
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 04:13:10 PM »
Perfect! Glad you were able to find a good deal on what you needed.  Great buyer beware information gathered here as well. Can't say it's enough of a cause to stop shopping somewhere though.

Offline Duncan71

• Budget Lift
Or to freak out and get your heart rate up over...

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
I say I shouldnt have to look in each and every box, and hence look at each and every little bit and piece, the clerk should have...Or better yet, the recieving dock person should have.
This shouldnt have even happened, but it did, and not just me. This is not an isolated case. They know something is wrong with their low wage employees.
Along your reasoning you should then open EVERYTHING you ever buy from every store you buy from. That is purely Unrealisitc! 
Besides there was a pile of parts I bought not just 2 small boxes. I shouldnt have to open all 14 boxes.

I have heard other stories coming out of Canadian Tire garages, this just seals the deal.

I ended up going to Kingsway Auto, came to $220 for premium parts.
Canadian Tire was $340 for low quality parts.

You try to make it sound like they were out to get you.

Let me share a little tale from just today.

Had a customer looking for a drill attachment, I walked over grabbed the box off the shelf and handed it to him.  He was very happy that we had this $47 item and went on his way.  5 minutes later he comes back to me because he had a look at the package and noticed the tape had been cut (they had a very small piece of tape on them) so he looked inside and noticed a part was missing.  He came back to me and we got him a new one that was still sealed.  He was happy he noticed before he got home with it, and so was I.

I had no reason to think the box didn't contain all the parts, it was not obvious to me, I grabbed the item and handed it to him.  I didn't do it with malicious intent, because that gets me no where...I would have felt very bad and would have given the guy a discount if he had made it home with it and had to come back.

The point is, crap happens.  People make mistakes at the stores and we have to deal with them when it happens...doesn't mean they are out to get you.  Also, we deal with a lot of customers who return items with missing parts, or they have just flat out stolen them.  We hope to catch this before it impacts the next customer, but it doesn't always happen.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
I've taken home empty DVD cases from walmart, best buy, and HMV. Kids know how to crack them and slip the disk out.

Guess what. Still shop at those places, but I pay better attention to my crap.

Last year I opened a set of champion plugs from auto value and found 6 used plugs. We went right back and got them replaced. Someone had done a return, and the counter staff failed to check that the plugs were used.

You do have to open your boxes and check them.

For several reasons.

Most importantly, if its wrong, it saves you a ride back to get the right crap.

Secondly, if you are counting on a minimum wage kid identifying the correct part for you when most them havnt the slightest frickin' clue what they are looking at then you put yourself at risk and have no one but yourself to blame when you get incorrect parts.

I have opened boxes from a lot of parts shops that had used crap in them. Brake calipers, steering pumps, and alternators are peoples favorites, but I've had balljoints, ujoints, spark plugs, and wheelbearings as well.

If it goes in a box, people will try to swap it. Doesnt matter what store you at.

I cant beleive you went to a different store to do the return. I'd have called you out for part swapping.

My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Matt4x4

• UberWheeler
Seems like they know about the issue.