Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: New JKU New to Calgary and Mopar lift  (Read 3775 times)

Offline Geobob

• Stocker
New JKU New to Calgary and Mopar lift
« on: April 21, 2015, 08:49:17 PM »
Hello all,
Thought i'd introduce myself. Got to Calgary this past summer, bought a JKU (2015) firecracker red, and looked for places to go with it. While searching online came across this forum and the summer 101 session at Mclean's Creek. So I registered, sent a PM TO Specialk to register and hope to be theer if there is still space available. all that being said, as anyone who has a Jeep knows the mod slope is rather steep, sooooo... I do intend on outfitting for a bit of "overlanding" if you will and am looking at the new Mopar lift (part # 77070088) I would appreciate any thoughts or comments on this subject, especially from anyone who may have it.
Thanks
Marc

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
Re: New JKU New to Calgary and Mopar lift
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 01:03:21 AM »
Any particular reason you are looking at a Mopar lift vs. another brand specific lift?

Have you wheeled before?  What is your reasoning for getting a lift right off the start?

The 101 is a good place to start.  I wouldn't run into spending money on any mods until you have had time to do some research.  Many of the guys on this forum will tell you to do it once and do it right. 

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 09:58:52 AM »
Welcome Bob.

I would recommend keeping it simple and starting with a decent offroad tire and some recovery gear before bothering with suspension.

The JK really doesnt require any lift to get started as a good offroad rig. Specially for 101 type events.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Geobob

• Stocker
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 08:17:19 PM »
Hello Bnine and AstraX,

I purchsed the Jeep with the firm intention of  applying some modifications to allow me to do a bit of not too hard core offroading. My potential choice of th Mopar lift is to some extent related to the  waranty issue as Mopar has revised it's policy for certain parts including this particular lift. Tires and wheels are most definately a priority. If I don't have the cash for lift, wheels and tires, I'll go for an economy lift and new tires and wheels. I'd rather not spend twice. As far as recovery equipment is concerned, I have the most of the basics covered (I think) other than a winch as I need some equipment anyway for work (geotechnical drilling).  I've also spent the last year or more reading up as much as possible on the subject. My offroad experience actually comes from work as I spent some time as an exploration geologist which means I spent a considerable amount of time with different vehicles in places where the dirt roads were very bad and at times actually non existant, mostly in northern Quebec. I hope i've explained appropriately.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 08:35:35 PM »
My suggestions for priorities:

#1. Good tires.

#2. Bumpers and sliders

#3. Gas to go wheeling

You will be shocked at what your JK will already do without any suspension mods at all. You can fit 32's or maybe even 33's without any suspension upgrades....even more if you get flat fenders.

After wheeling your rig for a year or two that way, you'll know exactly what you want your rig to do for you, and that will provide a lot of guidance on what lift is right for you.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Geobob

• Stocker
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 09:45:57 PM »
Hi W,
I do actually agree with you to the extent that i would like to use it a bit before changing anything, and I probably will not change much other than wheels and tires in the coming year, and yes I really do want to get a good idea of it's stock capabilities. My original question about the Mopar lift is part of gathering the info i'll need to come to a decision. Winch, bumpers etc are on my list and i've still got lots of info to gather and questions to ask but I do have a pretty good idea of what i'd like to change/add on the Jeep, at this point I'm in the process of defining what type of vehicle I want to end up with.

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
Re:
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 10:25:15 PM »
Dude. WELCOME. Come out to a meeting and we all can get deep into how to spend your money. Wheel it stock for a while. Its stupid fun to get that pucker factor and realize that STOCK Jeeps are purpose built vehicles. It'll climb a tree stock. I think armor is money well spent. Its better to pay for something that's cool looking and has a purpose than spending twice as much at a body shop to fix a whoops. Also you don't need a lift to put BIGish tires on. A set of high clearance fenders and you can throw on 37s. Then you don't have to worry about warranty cause you haven't changed a thing.

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 10:32:56 PM »
My original question about the Mopar lift is part of gathering the info i'll need to come to a decision.

The reason I questioned the mopar lift, is I am pretty certain you are paying a premium for that name.   Also to have any kind of warranty on it, you will likely need to have a dealership install it for you and you will be paying a a lot more for that then you need to.  Do some thinking, do some research, hang out on here and shoot the crap with people.  As Squared said, wheel it stock for a little while and you will figure out what you want out of it.

We have our meetings the 3rd Wednesday of every month.  Come on out and you can pick some guys brains...Careful with Buki though, there isn't much there.

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
Re:
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 09:02:52 AM »
Lobotomy's kinda do that. If you can get past my drool, I think we'll be ok

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 11:57:54 AM »
Intriguing. Comes with a front drive shaft to alleviate your exhaust getting hung up at full droop. At a glance it seems Mopar has actually designed this kit specifically for your Jeep and offers a warranty which is usually a good thing. Whether or not your paying more for the Mopar name or receiving unnecessary parts for a 2" lift is debatable, but I myself do not own a JK. Myself? Id likely stick to a name brand lift that has been tried and tried again. Ill PM you with a link that has more information on the kit you specifically asked about, it may be useful.
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline Geobob

• Stocker
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 08:49:22 PM »
Thanks for the input all. Tl-Iguana, I've been following that discussion for a while now and was intrigued enough that I'm asking for a quote from my dealership just to get an idea. Like I said I don't believe I'll be lifting it in the short run but getting the price info will at least allow me to look at more options. On top of that seeing as Mopar and Chrysler give the impression of wanting to grab their respective chunk of this market, especially given the waranty concerns many have, I'm simply curious about pricing. Kits from companies such as Rock Krawler aren't necessarily cheap either.

Offline Geobob

• Stocker
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 08:56:09 PM »
And another question: would an undercoat or rustproofing be worthwhile?
Thanks

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
Re: Re: New JKU New to Calgary and Mopar lift
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 10:46:14 PM »
And another question: would an undercoat or rustproofing be worthwhile?
Thanks
I wasn't impressed with the undercoating so I wouldn't bother with that.  I also have the rust prevention module, and I'm not sure that it does much. I have heard mix reviews on it as well.  That being said, if you plan on keeping the Jeep for a while spending a couple hundred on something that could help resist rust might be worth it.

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
Re: Re: New JKU New to Calgary and Mopar lift
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 02:09:38 AM »
I wasn't impressed with the undercoating so I wouldn't bother with that.  I also have the rust prevention module, and I'm not sure that it does much. I have heard mix reviews on it as well.  That being said, if you plan on keeping the Jeep for a while spending a couple hundred on something that could help resist rust might be worth it.

Agreed. However if it is not clean clean clean underneath when it is sprayed then it is not going to be all that effective at rust proofing anything. For the frame to rust through will take years. Its thick. For the body panels to rust due to low quality paint processes at the factory, this is more likely. It doesn't hurt, but the real killer if you get into off roading out here is our sandy dirt. That stuff eats bearings, and is stickier than mollasses. Keep your rig clean of mud and the like and that alone will keep your rig running for many years.
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline Geobob

• Stocker
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 06:29:19 PM »
Thanks, being from out east rustproofing is almost a must cause of the salt so I am of the opinion that rust proofing is not a bad thing in and of itself and it's relatively inexpensive.  I was just wondering if it's common here or not.