Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Alberta Election 2015: where we headed?  (Read 8897 times)

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
Alberta Election 2015: where we headed?
« on: April 24, 2015, 08:32:32 AM »
i guess i'm feeling ambitios today; or i've had way to much coffee...........

Andy feel free to chime in please.
everyone talks about SSRP; we know that plan is to basically change everything over to Provincial Parks and close down all access everywhere; it is a clear path Prentice and the former PCs have laid out before hand.

now, normally i'm the guy that would do the digging and dredge up this kind of info with calls etc. but i've been to busy at work since the election was called to dig.

so: whats the deal with trail access? what is Wildrose say? what does NDP say? and what is PC going to do wtih regards to SSRP? what about the others?

as an offroad community, we need to address this, see what lies where, and make a voice heard. 'put up or shut up' i guess you could say.

its time to start the discussion, even though its close to the wire.
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
Alberta Election 2015: where we headed?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 09:41:47 AM »
Have spoken to prentiss personally over the years on various issues when he was in federal politics. He out right lied  to me and voted the other "way". Third paragraph in early parliamentary career.    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Prentice

Jim Prentice out right lied.

Now no money has been spent out of the 12 million $ allocated for trail flood damage under the special fund on jeep trail flood damage. Attended the esrd meeting / presentation two months ago on this. They said they are not spending any money on jeep trails until after an announcement is made. They also said as an example they put in a truck bridge and a year later the trail gets closed and now it is wasted money.

Now Jim  Prentiss  was a federal environment minister.

I firmly believe if he gets voted in we will be losing a substantial amount of trails across Alberta.

Under no conditions will me or my family be voting for Jim prentiss or the party he represents.

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: Alberta Election 2015: where we headed?
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 01:08:02 PM »
On this issue, there is no party that will be onside with us on trail access.  Ndp wanted more closures so the ssrp didn't go far enough.  Wildrose criticized the plan but mainly on the premise on private land owner ship.  And I'm with Andy on the Prentiss thing.  Liberals?  This isn't a health care issue so Swann does not have an opinion.

The slopes and trails we love are disappearing unless we want to start a logging or oil gas exploration business... and line the government coffers. 
04 TJ Rubi

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 02:01:16 PM »
Prentiss smokes fatties with Trudeau

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 02:23:47 PM »
Prentiss smokes fatties with Trudeau

That
04 TJ Rubi

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 08:50:16 AM »
I am writing you with regards to a particular issue that is very important to me, and I can assure you, very important to many people living in Calgary, and South/Southwest of the city.

As I’m sure you know, there are many of us who enjoy extracurricular activities in the areas known as ‘the Eastern Slope’ aka Waiparous/Ghost recreational area, McLean Creek FLUZ, and many areas south in the Willow Creek area. 

The governing PCs have initiated a ‘plan’ call the SSRP ‘South Saskatchewan Regional Plan’ which directly effects all of us in the OHV community, who have interests in these areas.  We are well aware of what the PC plan is in these areas.

My direct question to you is what is the Wildrose stance on this stance? How will those of us who use these areas be effected? Will these OHV trails be closed, or be deemed closed as they are now ‘provincial parks’?

I look forward to a prompt response; we as a united group of responsible OHV users are looking to throw our support behind someone with our interests aligned;  please get back to me when you can.
Or conversely, please don’t hesitate to email me or call 403 993 2514.
Kind regards,

John Campacci

;letters sent to opposition.  i agree with Kev, none of them give a frack, and i would be AMAZED if i even got a response. i'd love to get it in writing though......

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 11:48:45 AM »

Offline Dingleberry

• UberWheeler
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 01:46:00 PM »

Offline xpedition xj-eh!

• Stocker
    • Xpedition XJ-Eh!
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 09:09:21 AM »
everyone talks about SSRP; we know that plan is to basically change everything over to Provincial Parks and close down all access everywhere; it is a clear path Prentice and the former PCs have laid out before hand.

I've not been on top of the OHV issue politically and your comment on the SSRP caught my attention. I went and looked it up:
https://landuse.alberta.ca/LandUse%20Documents/SSRP%20Final%20Document_2014-07.pdf

Page 205 addresses "Off-highway vehicles", and page 188 is where it starts listing "SSRP Land Uses". From the best I can tell, they aren't planning to shut down all trail access. Areas like McLean Creek (page 193) and Waiparous (page 195) are marked for OHV use as per the outline I noted on page 205.

Basically, I'd appreciate if someone were to clarify the intentions of the SSRP with respect to OHV use. Please correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I can tell by reading the document, it appears as though OHV land use will be largely unchanged.
My project "Xpedition XJ-Eh!" : http://i4s.ca/xj-eh
A bunch of build photos: http://i4s.ca/photo/index.php?/category/7

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 09:59:10 AM »
There are areas south of calgary around the Coleman area that are high use ohv trail systems that are not designated as a fluz.  Quads are a huge portion of the group that use that area but there are some trails that jeeps do use.  Many of these trails looped and connected. The ssrp is closing many portions of these trails and putting restrictions on access (whether it be water crossing and bridges) by implementing new or expanded provincial parks.

It's easier to just close it than work with groups like us to maintain and work to keep these trails viable for us and future outdoor enthusiasts. 
04 TJ Rubi

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 10:00:47 AM »
And Johnny. . I copied your email and sent it my wr candidate.   Waiting for a response
04 TJ Rubi

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 10:07:35 AM »
And a comment on mclean...  it's not just ohv there. Trails are being destroyed due to the forestry operation there.  And don't hold your breathe on getting more truck trails in waiparous anytime soon...
04 TJ Rubi

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 10:33:27 AM »
still no response from my guys......... edit: got a response, he's working to get an official party stance.

tried to send it directly to Brian Jean but it keeps getting rejected........
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 11:03:25 AM by JackstandJohnny »

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 10:48:37 AM »
Ssrp plan has the same language as the gamp plan. And we went from 20000 kms of trails we could access to about 300 kms of trails.
Jim prentice is not jeep friendly.

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 01:07:13 PM »
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/touch/story.html?id=11010532
Here is a write up on Jean from wra. Very out door orientated. Witch is a good thing for us. Has is the past opposed gay marriage which Prentiss supports as outlined in the article.