Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Rear Track Bar, 2 inch Lift.?  (Read 1949 times)

Offline scott slade

• UberWheeler
  • Amboy... Route 66
Rear Track Bar, 2 inch Lift.?
« on: May 19, 2015, 10:27:14 PM »
Front end rebuilt after collision.  Steering wheel still tilted to one side but drives straight after alignment etc.. shop told me that because I have a 2 inch lift and a stock rear track bar,  that my LJ goes down the road like a dog. Got JKS adjustable up front and the steering wheel was straight before I got hit. Buddy says without new rear adjustable bar my steering wheel will always be tilted.... WTF.?  I think I am being fed a load here...   Thoughts.?
2005 LJ, Six Speed,
 16" Moab Rims
HD Broadcast Video Production Unit

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
Re: Rear Track Bar, 2 inch Lift.?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 10:34:20 PM »
I call BS too.  It's a fairly straight forward adjustment... you just need to loosen the collar on the drag link and rotate to line steering wheel up.    There's a number of videos on youtube that will walk you through it.
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 07:52:13 AM »
Or bring it by scott. You probably bent your tie rod a bit (jeep tie rods bend if you look at them funny). I can adjust your wheel back straight, it'll take 2 minutes.

Offline scott slade

• UberWheeler
  • Amboy... Route 66
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 08:02:49 AM »
Thats what I thought.... I was shocked but not surprised that an "autobody shop" said "we took the wheel off and took a look, nothing seemed broken so we just sent her out for a wheel alignment"...  gotta call the insurance adjuster again... will keep ya posted....
2005 LJ, Six Speed,
 16" Moab Rims

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 05:28:06 PM »
They are right that with an adjustable track bar on the front and a stock track bar on the rear your front axle will probably be centered and your rear axle will probably not be....but that has nothing to do with your steering wheel being crooked. Any one of the guys on here that is experienced at breaking their TJ can probably walk you through how to do it pretty quickly.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline scott slade

• UberWheeler
  • Amboy... Route 66
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 11:23:10 PM »
Thanks for all of your help on this topic... I will get in touch with some of you soon to get it straight.   All in all... great body shop, just not mechanical minded folk....
2005 LJ, Six Speed,
 16" Moab Rims