Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Keep/Ford Brake lines  (Read 3594 times)

Offline kemper

• Stocker
Keep/Ford Brake lines
« on: June 24, 2015, 10:24:27 PM »
Hey guys,

Looking to put a 1978 Ford Dana 44 in the front of my WJ. I'm wondering if anyone has insight as to whether or not my stock brake lines will bolt up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
Re: Keep/Ford Brake lines
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 02:09:26 PM »
Doubt it
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 09:48:19 PM »
Seriously?

You're trying to put a '70s era 3/4ton truck axle thats setup for leaf springs into modern day luxury SUV.  Hooking up the brake lines is the easy part. Have you figured out what master cylinder to use since the stock one probably won't move enough fluid to properly work the brake calipers on that axle.

Might want to do some more thinking and research.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline kemper

• Stocker
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 11:39:00 AM »
Oh, dang. I thought it was a direct bolt in :(

Stock master cylinder is fine for this application as many cherokee guys run a WJ master cylinder for their 1 ton swaps.

Simple questions about brake line ends but I guess I'll just have to figure it out!

Offline dubbleJs

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 01:17:47 PM »
Oh, dang. I thought it was a direct bolt in :(

Stock master cylinder is fine for this application as many cherokee guys run a WJ master cylinder for their 1 ton swaps.

Simple questions about brake line ends but I guess I'll just have to figure it out!

Yeah...as Clay said brake lines are just the tip of the iceberg. You will need to weld on coil spring buckets, control arm mounts, track bar mount, shock mounts, figure out a new driveshaft, make sure the gearing matches whatever rear diff you have...etc.

Wouldn't it be sweet if a d44 was a direct bolt in?!?
'91 XJ - 3" procrap - cutout for 33" MT's  - More and more dents every run...Sold.
'98 XJ - Lifted, locked and lovin' it

Offline kemper

• Stocker
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 02:29:21 PM »
Sorry man, I was being sarcastic. I'm doing full 44/60 swap. Axles are trussed, brackets welded, buckets welded, geared. All that's left is brake lines, new controls arms, and tires! I just can't find anything online about what brake lines are used and I'm still waiting on the calipers to come in!

Offline raf2379

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 06:43:21 PM »
I believe the banjo bolts are different, the ford D44 uses 3/8"-24 UNF - Long Banjo Bolt and the WJ I think uses a metric 10mm banjo bolt, only way to know (as I'm not that far yet in my build) is to check once your calipers come in, you might need to get new 3/8 banjo bolts, but be able to reuse your soft brake lines. or get new soft brake lines http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/braidedbrakelines.htm

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 11:31:48 PM »
I'm pretty certain greggs can build brake lines with whatever ends you ask them to use.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline kemper

• Stocker
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 12:45:41 AM »
I believe the banjo bolts are different, the ford D44 uses 3/8"-24 UNF - Long Banjo Bolt and the WJ I think uses a metric 10mm banjo bolt, only way to know (as I'm not that far yet in my build) is to check once your calipers come in, you might need to get new 3/8 banjo bolts, but be able to reuse your soft brake lines. or get new soft brake lines http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/braidedbrakelines.htm

The WJ actually uses a 3/8 -24 banjo bolt as well so it may work! Thanks for your response with legitimate insight into the matter! Are you building a WJ as well?

Offline raf2379

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 01:47:45 AM »
nope I'm building an XJ, its taking forever

Offline cjust

• UberWheeler
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 08:43:39 PM »
nope I'm building an XJ, its taking forever

It's a monster of an xj