Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Cheap car rentals now. $25/day, beats Car2Go for longer trips.  (Read 2967 times)

Offline Matt4x4

• UberWheeler
Cheap car rentals now. $25/day, beats Car2Go for longer trips.
« on: October 01, 2015, 07:57:59 PM »
Car2Go has new 4 door Mercedes in Calgary. Same rates. $16/hr, $85/day. 300km limit, free gas free insurance.

HOWEVER
Expedia app, can get Fullsize rental for $25, unlimited km, no free gas, no free insurance. However most credit cards have insurance on them.
I need to see if my prepaid visa will work so Im testing it out tomorrow with an Impala or similar rental from Enterprise, its usually good because it has my name on it, unlike most prepaid visa's.
Just dunno what the authorization amount will be, if its the amount of rental, or something more, like hotel rooms are $250 deposit.

Im gunna see too if I can do same day rentals off Expedia app. For the times I need it for 2 hrs or more.

I will see also if they have any Jeeps for rent.

Their trucks and premium vehicles are $75+/day.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 07:59:30 PM by Matt4x4 »

Offline pooljunky

• That CB Yapper
Re: Cheap car rentals now. $25/day, beats Car2Go for longer trips.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 11:07:49 PM »
If I was you .. its with your credit card that you have to verify.. not the rental company for your coverage ..

good luck

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 02:17:22 AM »
Why would you rent a car for 2 hours. Does it come with a motel room that also goes by the hour?
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 08:40:45 AM »
your prepaid visa will not cover insurance.
insurance coverage is a priviledge of the higher end cards, as they have specific requirements to qualify (high income, good credit etc) so for those individuals, the insurance is part of the yearly premium on a card. (RBC Avion, TD world elite etc)

i would not trust 'free' insurance off a 100$ prepaid VISA..........
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 10:13:04 AM »
I can't speak for you credit card - but even on a relatively high end card, the insurance that is offered is generally just a loss-damage waiver, or theft insurance. That would not cover your requirement to have liability insurance.

Most folks that rent cars probably don't need to worry too much about separate liability insurance because they own a car and have it insured. That insurance will generally cover liability on non-owned vehicles.

If you are driving a rental vehicle and get pulled over and you tell the cop that you have liability insurance based on having used a pre-paid visa card to rent the car, my guess is that we're going to see a whole lot more posts talking about pay or stay.

I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Matt4x4

• UberWheeler
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 10:41:40 PM »
Why do they have 500+ cars in Calgary for Car2Go, most are renting by the hour. Its not worth a day rental or anything over 2 hours now since they upped the price. I just go with car rental agencies like Budget, Hertz, etc. Car2Go now even has a 4 door Mercedes Benz that you can rent now. Same price.

$10/day weekend rate is good, got a Hyundai Elantra a week ago.

Rental agencies are insured, they just want $10-$20 over and above your day rate, per day for insurance.
So you get pulled over, you show them the contract. Its illegal to have no ins. Agencies dont say proove you have a car, or proove you have insurance. They just want your money.
Impound, contract is good enough to pull it out, even though your not the owner.
I have gone to several car rental agencies, using a prepaid credit cards and been able to rent cars. Its there business to know, you can tell what a card is by the first digits.
gas, store, major, prepaid etc. Most if not all prepaids have no chip, thats another red flag to the car rental worker. Countless times they say, is that a prepaid, I say no but it is.

Heck they even tried to upcharge me for windshield insurance. I declined. Road trip out to BC last month and actually got a chip, barely noticable and under the required dimensions.

CDW is good to have, Capitol One I think has it.

Yes I just checked, their bare-minimal no/bad credit card has it, Secured Mastercard. $200 minimum, but you need $400, I think I give them $6 and get $3k limit, buying essential items only and paying the balance off ontime. I figure within a month if not sooner they will mail me a ton of "pre-approved" yearly credit cards. TD Wouldnt even give me a secured line years ago, guess they wanted AISH clients instead.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 08:45:22 PM by Matt4x4 »