Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 4.0 Using oil  (Read 2401 times)

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
4.0 Using oil
« on: November 23, 2015, 02:49:56 PM »
Now reading the title you might think....so what? who cares? or what did you expect?

But my 4.0  has roughly 100K on it and i have only had this issue since I got it really vertical and lost oil pressure a couple times attempting a hill, and then subsequently had the jeep placed gently on its side on said hill. At the time I noticed no oil leakage nor was there any signs of any oil spillage afterwards. As soon as the gauge dropped I immediately quit that attempt until the oil could redistribute (happened 2-3 times).

I drove down to Crowsnest area the next weekend and when I got back checked my oil (yeah I kinda did that backwards) and it took 4 quarts to get it completely full.

Since the top up I have put maybe 1500 kms on it (not even) and its already gone from the maximum dot to the minimum dot.

No smoke, no leaks, no oil in coolant or vice versa runs great apart from its numerous other issues. Until that weekend this engine used as near as zero oil as possible.

Thoughts?.....get a 5.3?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 02:51:34 PM by Jrama »

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
Re: 4.0 Using oil
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 03:36:27 PM »
No smoke, no leaks, no problem.

You obviously are missing something.

Manual pressure gauge and check it hot, compression and leak down test, and check your plugs for fouling.. The oil has to be going somewhere.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 03:49:36 PM »
At the back of the valve cover there is forget what it is called. But there is an oil oriface with a plastic line about an eigth of inch in diameter that  goes to the air intake. That plastic line is plugged. Dealership only item but its only like $20. Attached to it is another line. Install both as a set.

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 06:56:41 PM »
I agree there is something I am missing, its good to know some of the next steps here...

In anycase I would imagine by the time I fix the issue I will be digging into the engine.

I know of the plastic line it just redirects the smoke and other...air around the valve train back into the intake. It is hooked up and not blocked...as far as I know

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 08:43:02 AM »
this won't help but maybe it will.

i had the exact same problem.  only difference is mine showed up after i changed the oil once and seafoamed my motor.

turned out for me i was losing oil at about the same pace. no leaks. i swore it wasn't blowing blue but a few folks told me they saw puffs quite a bit.  i was losing all my oil through my valve guides in the head. a quick inspection revealed i had damn near 1/4 of play in a few of them...(thats a lot) basically screwed the head.

pull the valve cover and test em maybe
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 11:22:39 AM »
Yeah I'll look into that, seems like a fairly easy thing to check before doing anything else...considering the circumstances it could be the problem. I can always do the leakdown to confirm if its to hard to tell from a wiggle.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 12:45:38 PM »
i do believe the leakdown test would tell you if the valve seals/guides are bad too.
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 02:22:47 PM »
Guides or seals should produce a little puff of blue on start up. Oil weeps onto the piston when the motor cools down and pools there. Get burn on start up and gives a little puff. It will also fowl the plug. Another thing to look for.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]