Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 4 post hoist recommendations?  (Read 2808 times)

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
4 post hoist recommendations?
« on: December 07, 2015, 05:42:13 PM »
I'm looking for a 4 post lift in the 8,000-9,000lb  range with minimum 80" clearance when fully raised.
I looked at Lift Kings today at their showroom then looked on-line at Bend-paks and Atlas models. It seems they all have models that give the minimum clearance when fully raised.
Anybody have any input? Any particular model stand out as really good or a death trap to stay away from?
Lift will primarily be used for storage and will be in the fully raised position 90% of the time as opposed to getting used on a daily basis.
I'd like to keep it under 5 grand installed.
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: 4 post hoist recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 06:10:52 PM »
Does it have to be 4 post ? you're a handy kinda guy and I'm sure you could make a 2 post work.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 06:27:47 PM »
Does it have to be 4 post ? you're a handy kinda guy and I'm sure you could make a 2 post work.
Yeah, I want a 4 post for a couple of reasons, no concrete work required (wouldn't trust the floor the builder poured without cutting and re-pouring a pad for a two post) and the plan is to turn the 4 post into a large mezzinine that can be used to store a lot of crap like the Jeep hard-top, small camper plus other crap.
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 10:25:37 PM »
Manitowoc Lifts... made in the US of A

The 2 posts I have is really well made...

looks like this one..

Look them up

I was also looking at Ammco lifts a few years back... but I can't tell you much about them.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 10:27:25 PM by SwampSinger »

Offline jkrubi

• Budget Lift
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 07:35:43 AM »
4 post lift by design will only give min amount of lift as people want to park under them and still get a toy up in the air in a normal height garage.  Very limited lift height.   I have not heard if any to stay away from, most of the issues seem to come from the ramps sticking out to far and interfering with garage doors.  Check out kijiji when I was searching for my 2 post lift they would keep showing up, as well princess auto (north store) has a display one set up so you can touch it see how it looks.
As for more reviews check out the garage journal, lots of questions on lifts 2 and 4 posts and reviews, modifications, and issues

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 08:57:22 AM »
Remember that after the hoist goes all the way up you need to drop it 4-6" onto the safety locks. You do NOT want to leave it hanging on the lift cables/chains. So if you have an absolute minimum height requirement then make sure the hoist is that high while on the top locks. Also I believe many hoists are measured from the top side of the ramps(ie bottom of the vehicle wheels to ground.) So check that as well. I doubt that any of my hoists at work are 80" when on the top lock.

Rotary and Ammco are VERY similar and are good name brand hoists. I believe the snap-on hoists are just repainted Rotarys as well.  I would buy a used name brand hoist before I bought an off brand one new. You'll always be able to find parts. I also prefer the ones with chains over cables but that raises the price a fair bit.

We have 3 at work that I use extensively.  If you plan to do any mechanical work on it then get a rolling jack for the center. Pretty hard to do any work on a 4 post involving the wheels off without one.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 11:43:52 AM »
Thanks for the input guys, still doing more research and will probably order one after Christmas.
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)