Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Christmas came early  (Read 5367 times)

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
Christmas came early
« on: December 10, 2015, 08:45:42 AM »
well........... I found a deal I couldn't pass up...... and looks like i'm joining the 4 door crowd.  wife even agreed. maybe now she'll even drive a jeep again!  it was a tough decision, but with the kid and stuff, we need more room than the LiL YJ has.... and now it looks like i'm actually driving a jeep instead of wearing it as a tutu

its an 07 Rubi. a bunch of KM on it. 260.  has a motor issue of some sort. might need a new one might not. we'll see.  it needs a bunch of TLC; flares, bumper, interiors a mess.  so it is a little bit of a project, but it came with the winch and an almost brand new RE lift.

the plan is to run my 35" MTZs on it and go.  

so.... the YJ wil be up for sale soon.... stripped down a little bit.

i'll start up a thread of what i need eventually. :)  

as for the YJ... i'll be selling it without the Winchand tires and i'll put a set of JK takeoffs on it.  it'll be selling cheap :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 09:01:06 AM by JackstandJohnny »
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: Christmas came early
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 09:07:43 AM »
I came real close to buying this. My vote is an LS1.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 09:23:28 AM »
did you go look at it Justin?

LS1 would be hella cool.  i'm to lazy to do that though

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 09:28:04 AM »
did you go look at it Justin?

LS1 would be hella cool.  i'm to lazy to do that though

No, I was chatting with the guy about it. I need a truck, not another jeep. I probably would have cut it up and built another buggy haha

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 12:07:24 PM »
Another green 4 door. Welcome to the club!

Does the e-disco sway bar still work?
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 12:36:57 PM »
haha thanks!
nope. sway doesn't work.
flares are broken.
bumpers broken.
license plate things broken.
interior needs alot of TLC
motor has a weird tick.  dealership says it needs a motor. i don't believe them.
stock radio is broken
other than that, runs good. has a new 3.5" RE lift, the winch and the locker switch bypass was done too.
its a project. but its up my alley

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 12:56:06 PM »
haha thanks!
nope. sway doesn't work.
Off Road Evonlution makes a manual disconnect unit that can replace the motor for $100....or just go for an offroad sway bar. I love the Sway-Loc on mine.
flares are broken.
Crud....trev just sold my old ones. Flares are overrated anyways.
bumpers broken.
just like every bumper on every JK that has seen trail use. Gneright makes a pretty skookum rear bumper even if you will hate life while bolting it on.
license plate things broken.
Yeah....they don't last long.
interior needs alot of TLC
Ditching the carpet will help a lot on that!
motor has a weird tick.  dealership says it needs a motor. i don't believe them.
It's a 3.8. Mine has ticked it's way from 10,000km all the way to 135,000 km. Still works meh, just like a 3.8 is supposed to. I say drive it until it spits out a part number. (unless that is truly a weird tick)

other than that, runs good. has a new 3.5" RE lift, the winch and the locker switch bypass was done too.
its a project. but its up my alley

You mean they bypassed the doohickey that means you can only engage the lockers in 4 LO? Meh...I have never felt the real need to do that. I can't think of a time so far that I have really wanted to use my lockers without being in 4lo.

Enjoy! They are shockingly capable, even with the stock 32's on them. Just watch that breakover angle - and you will probably want to either relocate or put a skid plate on the evap canister.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 12:57:45 PM »
One other thing - if you don't already have a set of spacers in behind those stock 17's, you will probably want to add some when you go to 35's. Otherwise the bottom of the rear sway bar links have a tendency to trash the inner sidewalls.

Offline cjust

• UberWheeler
Re:
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 07:19:41 PM »
John I will have flares soon hopefully you can have for free

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket

Offline pooljunky

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 08:47:18 PM »
That thing looks really good..  looks exactly like mine used to. love it. miss my tj though!

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 09:58:48 AM »
thanks Todd. great info :) specially that sway bar thing. definitely something i'll look into.
and thanks Cory too.  right now i just want to get it to a decent runner, then net year i can look at al the cool bumpers and stuff haha.

as for spacers/wheels. i'll be running spacers, and my 35s off the YJ are going on it too. they should stick out far enough to clearance the rear sway bar :)

oh and Todd, i forgot that one, the evap canister was ripped off lol.  i'll just get a skid for it. is that easiest?

and sadly, the YJ will be for sale soon........... :(

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 01:12:36 PM »
oh and Todd, i forgot that one, the evap canister was ripped off lol.  i'll just get a skid for it. is that easiest?

I think that the skid is the easiest way. You can relocate it if you want to mess around with a bunch of fuel line while you're on your back underneath your Jeep....or just bolt on the skid plate. I've also heard about doing an evap canister delete, but I have never heard of anyone doing that and managing to avoid an almost continuous "check engine" annoyance.

Spacers to get you YJ wheels and tires on there will definitely get you the room you need. If you are running 15" wheels on the YJ, you may have a few small issues with clearance on the front calipers - a lot of guys that tried 15" wheels on JK's seemed to have some issues with that.

Offline Dingleberry

• UberWheeler
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 01:58:24 PM »
For what it's worth, I managed to get 3.75" backspaced 15" wheels on my '01 Dodge Ram /w front D44 pretty easy. I took a grinder to the calipers for clearance, and realised after that I probably didn't even need to.
I think it depends more on what type of wheel you're slapping on. The 15's that I'm using are the D-window steelies.

Offline cjust

• UberWheeler
Re: Re: Christmas came early
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2015, 07:41:46 PM »
For what it's worth, I managed to get 3.75" backspaced 15" wheels on my '01 Dodge Ram /w front D44 pretty easy. I took a grinder to the calipers for clearance, and realised after that I probably didn't even need to.
I think it depends more on what type of wheel you're slapping on. The 15's that I'm using are the D-window steelies.
I think John's still running the dc2's if I'm not mistaken.

There is a list out there of which 15" rims clear the jk callipers.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2015, 09:18:43 PM »
Looks like they clear just fine. It's definitely close. :)