Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Cheap Taurus fan alternative?  (Read 4368 times)

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: Cheap Taurus fan alternative?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 12:43:50 PM »
IME, FAL fans are complete junk.  They definitely do die the first time they see water.

Ive been running one on my LS swapped TJ for a few years with no issues. I haven't even wired in a switch, I just utilize the Flex-a-lite controller box, though I'be been meaning to wiring in an off/on...

I promise that see's more abuse than a typical jeep.

Offline EEP

• UberWheeler
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 08:34:13 PM »
I dunno know, I will stick with the mechanical fan. There isn't enough deep water crossings around here to worry about it. Also avoid the deep mud. The slight HP gain isn't worth the hassle. Just my 2 cents.
01 XJ, RE 3.5" lift, Smittybilt XRC front & rear bumper, X2O 8,000 lb winch, 33" MT/R's
, ARB snorkel, lockers and a bunch of other stuff
06 TJ, 2" lift, 31" Goodyear Territory's.
14 JKU, wife's urban 4X4.

Offline Uboatcmdr

• Budget Lift
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 10:26:42 PM »
50% off pick n pull sale starting wednesday. Im just going to grab 2-3 an hopefully luck out and get one that will last haha.

Offline Dingleberry

• UberWheeler
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2016, 11:19:30 PM »
I haven't been to PnP in many months, but I do remember last time I went, all the taurus fans in the yard had been picked already (which I'd never encountered previously)... seems like the 'secret' is out, and its not just Jeep guys taking them! Or, it was just a one-off.

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 11:51:46 PM »

Maybe I just have really bad luck with junkyard fans?

This.

Buy a new one.  Jobber one at Napa is about $160.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline CatSplat

• Budget Lift
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 11:08:56 AM »
I haven't been to PnP in many months, but I do remember last time I went, all the taurus fans in the yard had been picked already (which I'd never encountered previously)... seems like the 'secret' is out, and its not just Jeep guys taking them! Or, it was just a one-off.

I think they get stripped fairly often from the Tauruses. Many 90's Volvos use the same fan (but it's removable from the shroud, unlike the Taurus) and also have a handy self-contained relay pack.
Jeep of Theseus

Offline pooljunky

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 03:19:29 PM »
I do have one. I'll sell for 30 bucks. I think that's fair. Until Sunday.  Then reg 50 Dallas.