Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: jeep TJ won't start after accident  (Read 4328 times)

Offline hazbin

• Baby Wheeler
jeep TJ won't start after accident
« on: February 17, 2016, 08:06:34 PM »
I have a 2000 TJ 6 cyl. it was t-boned, not bad, but now it turns over but won't fire.   changed the fuel pump relay and the automatic shut down relay. no fuel smells.   checked codes, runs through the numbers and nothing shows up.   

anybody been through this?

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: jeep TJ won't start after accident
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 08:45:48 AM »
I have a 2000 TJ 6 cyl. it was t-boned, not bad, but now it turns over but won't fire.   changed the fuel pump relay and the automatic shut down relay. no fuel smells.   checked codes, runs through the numbers and nothing shows up.  

anybody been through this?

Have you checked the fuel pressure? Depending how badly it was t-boned a fuel line could have been crimped shut. Also unplug the pigtail on your fuel pump (above the tank, or by the frame rail I can't remember where it is stock) and check that the pins are ok. If you were hit on the drivers side, it could have came unplugged. A good jolt can ruin your fuel pump too.

But first, check the pressure. If you don't have a tester, you can borrow mine.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:53:50 AM by AV.NINE »

Offline hazbin

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 01:07:13 PM »
Have you checked the fuel pressure? Depending how badly it was t-boned a fuel line could have been crimped shut. Also unplug the pigtail on your fuel pump (above the tank, or by the frame rail I can't remember where it is stock) and check that the pins are ok. If you were hit on the drivers side, it could have came unplugged. A good jolt can ruin your fuel pump too.

But first, check the pressure. If you don't have a tester, you can borrow mine.

I will check that.  it was hit right under the passenger door.  not too bad. but if the line is right there it may be  crushed.   I don't hear the fuel pump when I turn the key one notch short of starting. thanx for the reply, appreciated.

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 01:43:02 PM »
I will check that.  it was hit right under the passenger door.  not too bad. but if the line is right there it may be  crushed.   I don't hear the fuel pump when I turn the key one notch short of starting. thanx for the reply, appreciated.

Your fuel lines are run on the drivers side. I would guess your fuel pump may be gone. Drop your tank and run it with jumpers directly to the battery.

Offline hazbin

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 02:22:26 PM »
Your fuel lines are run on the drivers side. I would guess your fuel pump may be gone. Drop your tank and run it with jumpers directly to the battery.

that is what I was thinking.  they apparently are pretty fragile.  not sure I want to pull the tank myself, bad back and all.  pm me if are you for hire, and where abouts you reside.

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 08:18:17 PM »
Did you  pop an airbag?  If so you may need to have the air bag system reset. It kills the fuel pump when an air bag goes off.

Try cycling the key to get the codes.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline hazbin

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 11:00:22 PM »
Did you  pop an airbag?  If so you may need to have the air bag system reset. It kills the fuel pump when an air bag goes off.

Try cycling the key to get the codes.

airbags didn't go.  all the relays are good.  tried the codes. went thru  from all 1's to all 9's and nothing came up.   seems like it might be a cracked fuel pump from what I've seen so far.  that wouldn't show up on the codes would it?

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 08:52:51 AM »
airbags didn't go.  all the relays are good.  tried the codes. went thru  from all 1's to all 9's and nothing came up.   seems like it might be a cracked fuel pump from what I've seen so far.  that wouldn't show up on the codes would it?

No, but if you can't hear the fuel pump when you turn the key, you know its not working.

Offline hazbin

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 11:18:40 PM »
No, but if you can't hear the fuel pump when you turn the key, you know its not working.

thank you,  i'll see if I can manage to pull the pump.

Offline mike s

• UberWheeler
  • Good times!
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 10:32:48 AM »
Spray fuel (carb cleaner, brake cleen, gas whatever) down throttle body and see if it tries to fire and run. checks everything in one go before dropping tank to make sure its fuel and not something else

have someone crank it over while you spray throttle, watch your eyebrows if it pops back, lean away while spraying. just a few second shot should make it fire.
'94 YJ, 2.5" RE, 1"BL on 35"s, 8.8 w 4.88
oldEnuff2NObetter

but still can't help myself

Offline hazbin

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 05:40:39 PM »
Spray fuel (carb cleaner, brake cleen, gas whatever) down throttle body and see if it tries to fire and run. checks everything in one go before dropping tank to make sure its fuel and not something else

have someone crank it over while you spray throttle, watch your eyebrows if it pops back, lean away while spraying. just a few second shot should make it fire.

damn,  good idea!   never thought  of that .  i'll try that tonite.  thanx.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 02:12:41 PM »
Just listen for the pump......
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]