Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: CB and FRS channels  (Read 7858 times)

RUBI

CB and FRS channels
« on: June 23, 2005, 04:09:08 AM »
How about CJA adopting a set of channels for both CB and FRS radios ??? Has this been tried yet...............or am I out of the loop and they already exist ?? I personally think it would be a good way for Jeepers to hook up out wheeling , or to possibly lend a hand, or call out for help if needed.
 Just my 2 cents :wink:

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/tj54jeep
CB and FRS channels
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 07:39:32 AM »
I think that is a great idea.
How about channel 10 on cb and channel 10 with no tone on FRS.  That way I only have to remember one number. and both radios have a channel 10.
How about the new gmrs radios, I am not familiar with those. Do they have a channel 10 as well ?

edit:  text added
Someone mentioned to me a while back that CB  channel 4 was used in maclean and waiparous for this reason,, Is that still the case.
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
CB and FRS channels
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 07:45:06 AM »
I don't know about chan 4, but the Nissan club uses channel 16 (as in 4x4=16).

But something would be pretty cool, though in the city and the highway I pretty much just stay on 19 to listen to the truckers groan about the traffic.
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

tjd60

CB and FRS channels
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 09:08:15 AM »
Generaly when we are wheeling, we choose a channel based on how buisy the it is.  If there is a lot of traffic on channel 10, we swich to a different channel.

RUBI

Channels
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 10:16:38 AM »
So how bout the CJA execs, or members putting it to a vote, or coming up with a poll ?? Something officially sanctioned by the CJA would seem appropriate to me. As well, once established, even word of mouth  would get it around, and I'm sure there are enough JEEPERS out here who would support it !! Then once establish, maybe other groups & clubs will follow suit. This in the end would probably work out quite well for all parties involved..............again though, just my 2 cents :wink:

:idea:  Also, if and or when something like this is
                           adopted by the group, could it be posted or become
                           part of the main site menu ??

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
CB and FRS channels
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 02:07:12 PM »
I think that most people use CH4 for CB in the bush. That's the channel I use and have my base station set to in my garage in Cochrane, lots of chatter on there Saturday mornings. Only time I've seen it get busy enough to warrent switching channels is at the AURS cleanups.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

RUBI

bump
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 10:53:35 AM »
:wink: BUMP  .........anymore comments or input ??

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
CB and FRS channels
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 12:20:08 PM »
An opinion on real time experience.

i think it makes no sense to allow 2 types of radio transmission on a run.
WHY?
Lets say we have 8 rigs. 5 have CB and 3 have FRS. Lets also say that 2 CB rigs also have FRS.
The trail leader has CB only and that means the tailgunner MUST have both in order to communicate FRS messages to the trail (CB ONLY) leader. Now lets say that any member in the group needs to be communicated to immediately! and that further communication is necessary immediately to safely guide someone up or someone backwards down. If two sources are used for communication and that one source has to be recommunicated to someone with a different source 2 things may happen to endanger one person or perhaps the group.
1/ The re communicated message takes too long.
2/ The recommunicated message is an interpretation of someone elses original message and it can be misconstrued.

Lets say Jeep A (leader) is already up a tough section and he/she has CB only.
Jeep B goes up with FRS only and gets into a very bad or delicate position.
Jeep C also has only CB and sees that Jeep B is in trouble and needs instructions to STOP immediately.
Jeep D has CB and FRS but has no visible view of Jeep A, B and C due to trail set up. (trees in the way, etc)
Jeep B not only needs immediate STOP but every instruction from this point on is imperative that it is concise and clear with no delays.

HOW is using FRS and CB's mixed going to ensure safety and no miscommunications?
In real world wheelin, i have seen numerous occassions where the 2 radio system may have led to disaster.

i think CB only should be mandatory on any grouyp trail rides.

Tom :)
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

thunderstruck

CB and FRS channels
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 02:10:32 PM »
I tend to agree with tom on this one. I realise that not everyone has a CB, however they are relatively inexpensive when compared to the cost of so many other trail mods. They might not give you more ground clearance but they will give you more knowledge of what you are about to take your rig through. Check the buy and sell http://www.buysell.com/ for cb radios. There are usually good deals.

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/tj54jeep
CB and FRS channels
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 02:29:20 PM »
I too agree with Tom on this one as well. CB's are inexpensive and readily available, I even saw some in Walmart the other day.

Having more than one radio type on the trail is a safety concern,
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Offline RckyMtnTJ

• UberWheeler
    • http://www3.telus.net/lck
CB and FRS channels
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005, 08:18:12 PM »
Princess Auto has handheld CB's for $35.  They also carry a mounted CB.  I didn't check out the price of that one.  I grabbed a handheld as a backup.  Whether for me or for someone on the run who doesn't have a CB.  Figured the one from Princess got about 2 blocks.  Enough for basic short range CB communication.
98 TJ 4" lift + goodies

Offline Milan

• CJA Members
  • UberWheeler
CB and FRS channels
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2005, 08:27:20 PM »
The original club rules necessitated a CB. Chanel 13 was the designated CJA channel.

I see no problem picking a different channel if one is busy as that is the idea of multi-channel transceivers. I like 10 personally because it's 1 channel up from emergency channel 9, which some CBs default to when initially turned on. I guess 8 could serve the same purpose.
Keep on Jeepin'

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
CB and FRS channels
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2005, 10:40:31 PM »
I had one of the hand helds from Princess Auto for a weekend and ended up returning it.  I don't know if I got a bad one or not but I might as well have not had a radio on that run.  I think I heard 2 transmissions the whole day.  

I picked up a nice unit at the CB shop at the road king for a $100 ... and also picked up a pair of 2 watt GMRS handhelds at Costco.  LOL I'm not going to be in the dark on the trail again I hope!
Fug
TJ Rubicon

RUBI

CB Channel 10
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2005, 10:42:20 PM »
I'm all for the CB thing myself also ( just mounted mine last week) So how bout a vote or poll on what channel to use. 10 sounds good to me as well, so .........now what ???

Offline Milan

• CJA Members
  • UberWheeler
CB and FRS channels
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2005, 08:26:38 AM »
Maybe I was not clear. It has already been decided years ago that it is channel 13.
Keep on Jeepin'