Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Transformer Welding or Alternator Welding  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Matt4x4

• UberWheeler
Transformer Welding or Alternator Welding
« on: February 19, 2016, 03:31:49 AM »
Which one is better?
I think its transformer welding because the alternator you need it spinning.

Well I have a second hobby, besides Jeeping, its electric vehicles. I have a glorified bicycle that I ride on the city pathways and in Fish Creek Park. I love the silence, no one knows its electric especially when I fake pedal it. The hills are a give-away though. I stumbled upon this topic (Transformer & Alternator Welding) while researching a DIY battery tab welder, to weld metal strips to battery cans, like C & D cells (26650, 18650)
I got one transformer out of a Frigidaire 1500W unit, and 2 others from older smaller units.
I think ideally I need 2 of the exact same transformers, to get a decent weld out of them.
Basically you cut out the secondaries, wrap a few winds of low guage wire and use clamps. Using 2 you need them in phase, I thought I needed the input out of 2 seperate circuits from house wiring in phase, that is not the case.
I use the panel outlet and the central vac panel, both dedicated outlets, like your microwave outlet, fridge outlet, deck, garage etc etc etc, by elec code that is.

I also found references to Alternator welding, and of course Lead-Acid battery welding.
Its basically just shorting out the leads. I have seen glorified units made with Adruino timers (mini computer timers, like raspberry pi kits) etc.
Mine is just a basic memory chip (came programmed from a guy in the UK), and electronic pieces on a pcb board, that I soldered up.

Never got into welding but this well be cool and perhaps a cheaper hobby, I just have no clue what width of steel I can weld.
They were using 5E electrode.

I will do up a bumper or something, then put in some CREE bulbs, a driver, reflector and housing. All cheap on ebay.
The guys selling the lights are making a killing.
Theres a company up off Edmonton Trail ~24st making the lights. Cool looking, they look solid and probably shed a ton of heat which is the key plus the throwing of the light.

Offline EEP

• UberWheeler
Re: Transformer Welding or Alternator Welding
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 09:17:50 PM »
Uh okay lol
01 XJ, RE 3.5" lift, Smittybilt XRC front & rear bumper, X2O 8,000 lb winch, 33" MT/R's
, ARB snorkel, lockers and a bunch of other stuff
06 TJ, 2" lift, 31" Goodyear Territory's.
14 JKU, wife's urban 4X4.

Offline Dingleberry

• UberWheeler
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 12:04:27 AM »
...you been at the Kool-aid again Matt?

Offline Matt4x4

• UberWheeler
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 02:56:34 PM »
Built one from a Transformer, back of CrappyVillage. Works great! And free!