Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Charger / Tender for multiple batteries  (Read 2475 times)

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
Charger / Tender for multiple batteries
« on: March 08, 2016, 02:12:30 AM »
I have found myself amassing vehicles over the years since I have so much space out here that I now have a bunch of batteries that sit over winter and die on me. I am not into spending money every year on a new battery for a vehicle that I want to insure for the summer or winter, so I have decided that it might be best to set up a bit of a permanent charging station in my garage. I pretty much want to keep my yellow top, 2 RV Deep Cycle conventional batteries and a conventional car battery all ready to go at any time. Has anyone here had any personal experience with a charger or tender that is reliable and can be left alone? I am not looking to wire up all my batteries in parallel to one charger. I want a system preferably with multiple outputs that are all individually monitored for safety and to prevent overcharging. It has to support AGM batteriess as my basic dumb charger currently does not, so to charge my optimas from dead I require a parallel lead acid... I see Canadian tire sells Noco chargers and they get hit or miss reviews. I trust the general population around here and would like to hear what you guys use to keep your toys charged in the months that they are not being used. If you have some real world experience with chargers or tenders that have not let you down post up! Id like some real opinions from real people... Maybe you gents over at Treasure Electric have some advice you could share?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 02:17:49 AM by TL-Iguana »
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: Charger / Tender for multiple batteries
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 05:53:04 AM »
All batteries around the house once once a year are put on a pulse charger. It almost doubles the life span of the battery. Our car changed the battery after 11 years. Not be cause it needed it but as a maintenance thing. All batteries like motorbikes if going in storage charged it up with pulse chatger. Then when going to use it charge it up again. Pulse chargers help minimize the lead in the batteries from sulfating. Thus doubled life span of battery.
This is what works for me.

Offline mike s

• UberWheeler
  • Good times!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 03:44:54 PM »
Got a battery maintenance charger from NAPA for about $100 a few years ago. Charges ten batteries and keeps them topped up till spring.
'94 YJ, 2.5" RE, 1"BL on 35"s, 8.8 w 4.88
oldEnuff2NObetter

but still can't help myself

Offline Dingleberry

• UberWheeler
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 04:30:57 PM »
Got a battery maintenance charger from NAPA for about $100 a few years ago. Charges ten batteries and keeps them topped up till spring.
There are a lot of different maintainer's listed on NAPA's website. Care to provide a model-number for the one you use, por favor?

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 04:55:12 PM »
There are a lot of different maintainer's listed on NAPA's website. Care to provide a model-number for the one you use, por favor?

X2, can you provide a bit more info on this maintainer?
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 01:48:01 AM »
Hey Andy,  mind if I ask which brand and model your also using?
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 06:48:49 AM »
On of those crappy tire chargers. Some thing about inteligent charger or smart charger feature. After the battery is almost fully charged it goes full charge for twenty seconds then of for five seconds. Then timing changes and eventually it goes full charge for 2 seconds then of for 30 seconds. Then the charger tells you when it is done.

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 07:24:52 AM »
I think Ron just got something like this as well.
04 TJ Rubi

Offline mike s

• UberWheeler
  • Good times!
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 11:52:29 AM »
Brand is "Diversified Power International" delivering power intelligently, no model number on it. Had a NAPA sale rep bring it in for me, we used one at work to keep new batteried topped up.
'94 YJ, 2.5" RE, 1"BL on 35"s, 8.8 w 4.88
oldEnuff2NObetter

but still can't help myself

Offline Matt4x4

• UberWheeler
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 02:55:55 PM »
Stay away from LiPo, LiFePO4 is good and safe.