Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: TJ on-board air  (Read 2790 times)

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
TJ on-board air
« on: March 31, 2016, 04:45:18 PM »
So after my ARB compressor packed it in, I have decided to move forward with the a/c compressor conversion OBA set up.    I know the guys with the XJs have done it it lots but there are a few things that are different with doing it on a TJ (2004).  I also could not any good build threads for this set up...  so I shall make one and get some input along the way from y'all.

First off, I never had A/C so I have an open spot.  At some point, Jeep reconfigured where things sit.   All the XJ setups have the compressor on the top passenger side of the engine.   On the TJ, it will sit low on the drivers side.    I was able to source a compressor from Dave @ BA from a WJ I believe with the hoses. 

A quick visual of the Sanden compressor shows they changed the design somewhat from those done on the XJs.  On the old style the input was on the back top to the compressor and the output came right the back the housing.   The new style has the input and out on the side.

https://goo.gl/photos/Hfcoc4LjQUqKQxW7A

The differences continue on the inside.  The old style appears to just make compression at the back off the compressor while the new style creates compression on both sides.  There is a tube that runs through to the output port.
https://goo.gl/photos/2xhUcRzgxg1bENcq6  - https://goo.gl/photos/HoAYCAkPpbqdSJod8

I think I could have split the casing once more to get a good look at inners but I decided against that.  Everything is running smooth so no worries.

After chatting with a few folks who have done Sanden conversions, I was sold on the idea of packing it with grease and tapping in zerk fitting to keep it lubed.   Seemed to be less maintenance than the oiler BUT after looking at, I'm not too sure about that anymore.    It appears that air comes in directly into the body/ piston area and is pushed out  into both  side of the compressor... maybe some sort of reed valve set up?   If anyone knows... let me know.

So based on that assumption, I am going to have to stick with oiler.   I'm also gonna have to run a coalese oil filter (so I have read) to separate the oil from air before going through the system.  Is that the same as oil/water separator or is there something specific or that?   And can that be had at PA?

I have seen a few setup that use a small K&R cone air filter... where can those had?

Last question for now...   hoses.   What are the suggestions for the type of hose to use?  3/8" hydraulic line up to the separator?  Would that handle the oil?  Some folks say their hoses sweat oil...(There is a joke in there somewhere).

Looking forward to the input guys.
04 TJ Rubi

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: TJ on-board air
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 06:57:25 PM »
PVC breather filter (looks like a mini K&N cone filter) can be found at any auto supplier.
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 08:12:06 PM »
PVC breather filter (looks like a mini K&N cone filter) can be found at any auto supplier.

Mopac will have lots of the bits and pieces you'll need.
Also, make sure you get a good quality hi-temp/hi-pressure hose on the output side of the compressor. It will get extremely hot and a typical air hose won't last long.
ARB makes a nice little pressure switch for about 50 bucks, much cleaner than the typical shop pressure switch I see a lot of people use. Hmmm... You probably already have that switch from your fried electric unit.

The best thing about engine drive OBA is once you have it pieced together, if the compressor fails, a replacement pump can be had for about 30 buck at the wreckers
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 08:17:21 PM »
I got all the parts from princess auto and had them make me a custom high temp hose right there.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline ornamental

• UberWheeler
    • http://www.webshots/users/yeungstreet
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 09:55:31 PM »
I have an extra WJ compressor if you need it...

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 02:41:42 AM »
Greenline hose off blackfoot was able to set me up with my steel braided line and matching fittings for a great price. Pat is the manager if hes still there, great guy to deal with. Yes the rubber line sweats grease, and when airing down it smells like a joeys only seafood restaurant.... That oily fishy rubbery stench is something id do away with in a heartbeat. But for on demand air, at high volume with a tank, the OBA conversion is worth it. Afterall, who needs AC in a jeep with a convertible top anyway? You wont be disapointed.

Also, in thinking about that compressor style, since the air exits from one port, you could theoretically still grease it. Just have to find a safe spot in the middle of the housing to add a zirk, pack er full and run it till it spits a part number. With only one way for the air to go after compression, it wont matter if grease goes to both heads. Another thought to ponder perhaps... Either way, a grease or oil seperator of any sort would be ideal. I am regretting not adding one to my setup now as I will soon have to replace my output line to the tank due to the sweating.
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 08:58:31 AM »
I have a few Viar compact pressure switches somewhere.

These guys Kev.

I'll try and dig them up and bring you one when I grab that motor. Just been super busy lately. Maybe this weekend if I can get my old truck running :)

http://www.viaircorp.com/pswitches.html

My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 11:48:00 AM »
Thanks for the input guys....

Bill - I'm around this weekend.
04 TJ Rubi

Offline Grease Nipple

• Budget Lift
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 09:51:54 AM »
Kevin, if you want to come look at mine on the YJ you're more than welcome. Might give you some ideas what to do and what not to do.