Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: TJ stalls out after warmed up  (Read 2442 times)

Offline Ratchetstrap

• Winch Wench
TJ stalls out after warmed up
« on: April 12, 2016, 11:06:20 PM »
2002 TJ
4 liter
manual transmission
140 000 km

After driving for a while and everything is warmed up, the engine will sputter and sometimes stall out. It usually only happens at highway speeds and then wont start. After about 5 minuets it fires right up like nothing happened. Its progressively getting worse (happening more often).
It feels like its either not getting any fuel or losing its spark.

I've never changed the plugs and coils in the past 9 years so decided to replace them to rule that out.

Has anyone seen something like this?

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: TJ stalls out after warmed up
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 08:24:07 AM »
I had some issues with mine doing something similar.  Changed the tps and that solved it. 
04 TJ Rubi

Offline Ratchetstrap

• Winch Wench
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 04:23:36 PM »
Did you have any codes?

Offline Ratchetstrap

• Winch Wench
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 04:33:34 PM »
Well it happened again and wouldn't start at all. Lets just say I'm very happy to have AMA!
I checked the codes on the dash and found 13. I never cleared any codes in the past 9 years so got that done.

After the codes were cleared (check engine light still on) I started it and 4 codes came up:

P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0443 Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit
P1391 Intermittent Loss of CMP or CKP
P1495 Leak Detection Pump Solenoid Circuit

Im not too worried about P0443 or P1495 as the emissions stuff has been removed. But the other two are pointing towards the cam sensor. A quick check of the wiring and condition of the cam sensor found nothing.

Looking for information to test the cam sensor to verify that it has failed. Anyone have any testing info on testing the cam sensor?

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 07:00:16 PM »
I would say replace the cam sensor and see what happens. 140,000kms is reason enough, heck replace the crank and tps sensors as well. Sure it costs a few bucks but better then failing in the middle of a mud hole.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline Ratchetstrap

• Winch Wench
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 09:32:29 PM »
Yea, that's the direction I'm going. I just hate throwing parts at a problem without knowing for sure that's what it is.

Offline Dingleberry

• UberWheeler
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 10:16:17 AM »
Yea, that's the direction I'm going. I just hate throwing parts at a problem without knowing for sure that's what it is.

*Sniper rifle approach:
So, buy all 3 sensors. Replace only one, and test it for up to a week, see if it's fixed your issue.
If the trouble happens again, remove the one you replaced and install the original sensor, and try replacing the next one. Then test again.
Still stalls? Well, but that original sensor back in and try it out with the third new one on your list. That ought to do it.
Unless it doesn't... (but then you'll know it must be a combination of 2 or more bad sensors, and so your troubleshooting continues!)

*****OR*****

*Shotgun approach:
Just replace all the sensors, as advised, and quit dicking around with AMA and save yourself a WHOLE lotta time and hassle.

--

In certain situations, the shotgun approach to troubleshooting is king.

Offline Ratchetstrap

• Winch Wench
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 09:42:24 PM »
I agree the shotgun approach is probably the best, but when cash is tight its not always the way to go.

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 12:17:41 AM »
your pulling a code on your cam position sensor....

replace the cam  position sensor.

Or remove and clean the cam position sensor and see if it improves. There is a reason you are pulling the code, so that would likely be the best place to start. Eric (Hps4evr) is right, and he is a licensed mechanic. Take the advice and run.
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline Ratchetstrap

• Winch Wench
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 06:03:50 PM »
Cam sensor changed - all good now!