Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Provincial wide fire ban  (Read 6653 times)

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: Provincial wide fire ban
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 06:35:38 PM »
I'm camping at McLean campground this weekend. Not bringing the jeep though. I'm curious to see how many ohv's will be there anyways/:
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline pooljunky

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 07:49:53 PM »
well the trails are closed to all vehicles..  go at your own risk but they said they will enforce it

Offline EEP

• UberWheeler
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 09:46:17 PM »
Fixed it for you. Please choose to act in line with the principles this club tries to uphold, and make the choice to act responsibly.

Emergency services are already stretched past the breaking point province-wide....and there are still thousands of people trapped on the NORTH side of the fire. I have multiple friends that are still stuck up there...and one friend who is flying North to help evacuate people.

If you don't know what to do with yourself this weekend, but maybe instead of demonstrating that it's all about what you feel like doing you might consider doing something to help the 88,000 people that don't have a home right now.

Couldn't have said it better, as someone who spent 35 years up there and has family and friends there,  Thank you
I am gonna use the money I would have spent on gas and buy supplies they need up north, deliver to north star ford.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 09:52:10 PM by EEP »
01 XJ, RE 3.5" lift, Smittybilt XRC front & rear bumper, X2O 8,000 lb winch, 33" MT/R's
, ARB snorkel, lockers and a bunch of other stuff
06 TJ, 2" lift, 31" Goodyear Territory's.
14 JKU, wife's urban 4X4.

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2016, 10:03:31 AM »
Good call! I've got numerous coworkers who have lost their houses and are now scattered all over the country. Most were at work until 2 in afternoon and then had to fight their way south through massive traffic backups. Took them over 2hrs to get home(normally takes 45min), to then just grab family and and few items and then head back up north to the site they just left. This time it took 5hours. One coworker said he was driving thru parks and down pedestrian walkways just to get onto Hwy63.

I've taken a bunch of groceries to NorthStar Ford to Cochrane to go north. Now that most of the evacuees have been relocated south the Red Cross really needs cash donations. Take that gas money and donate it to the Red Cross.

Also I've seen how green it is in the city, my acreage near Cochrane isn't near that green yet. Plus its been windy everyday. With SRD moving the majority of their fire fighting resources north a fire down here would screw us big time.

A jeep can start a fire just as easily as an ATV. A jeep stopped in tall grass can start a fire off the exhaust, it doesn't even have to touch the grass, when its that dry just the heat radiating off can start a fire like pointing a hair drier and some dry tinder.  Mud and grass that got packed around the exhaust going through a mud hole can later dry out and fall out on the trail and sit there and smolder till it starts up.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2016, 04:45:20 PM »
Pretty glad to see McLean is dead. Very quiet here. Srd has setup signs and making themselves present and talking with people. The campground has a lot of people hanging around camp and their toys are parked. I hadn't seen any trucks or jeeps around at all.
Looks like they closed the highway just after elbow falls, gravel road up moose mountain is closed as well. Small airplane and helicopter patrolling the area.
Over all I'm very impressed that everybody took the high road and kept the toys parked. Won't be long before we are back on th trails.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline EEP

• UberWheeler
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2016, 10:05:25 PM »
That's awesome so glad that people are being responsible.
01 XJ, RE 3.5" lift, Smittybilt XRC front & rear bumper, X2O 8,000 lb winch, 33" MT/R's
, ARB snorkel, lockers and a bunch of other stuff
06 TJ, 2" lift, 31" Goodyear Territory's.
14 JKU, wife's urban 4X4.

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 01:39:03 PM »

"They are asking not telling...

It is genuinely irresponsible to go out Wheeling this weekend but I'm me....so....its fine"

Fixed it for you. Please choose to act in line with the principles this club tries to uphold, and make the choice to act responsibly.

Emergency services are already stretched past the breaking point province-wide....and there are still thousands of people trapped on the NORTH side of the fire. I have multiple friends that are still stuck up there...and one friend who is flying North to help evacuate people.

If you don't know what to do with yourself this weekend, but maybe instead of demonstrating that it's all about what you feel like doing you might consider doing something to help the 88,000 people that don't have a home right now.

Just read this. You do make really good points!

I  am Glad I could help you vent! I think i bring out the best in you

« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 02:05:35 PM by Jrama »

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2016, 08:26:36 AM »
it would also be a safe bet this carries through the long weekend; keep the grad parties away as well.
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline rws

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Stump Grinder
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2016, 09:31:33 AM »
it would also be a safe bet this carries through the long weekend; keep the grad parties away as well.

This is a good thing, I1m having  "flashbacks" to the May Long clean-up down south in 2008(?).

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2016, 12:07:43 PM »
Just read this. You do make really good points!

I  am Glad I could help you vent! I think i bring out the best in you

What I posted doesn't qualify as venting. You'll know if I decide to vent. Just ask the boys from Canmore.

What you saw here is just some commentary being expressed in an honest and respectful fashion. If you wish to be a leader, please lead by example.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2016, 02:46:59 PM »
Province wide atv ban had been lifted. Trails are open. There is s link somewhere.

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2016, 03:16:05 PM »
Thanks for the update Andy!

Looks like northern and central AB still have restrictions though
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 04:17:04 PM by Jrama »

Offline Dingleberry

• UberWheeler
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2016, 05:02:54 PM »
As far as Mclean and surrounding areas go, fire ban lifted; OHV ban lifted.

http://beta.albertafirebans.ca/

May 13, 2016
DESCRIPTION
Although the province-wide fire ban and OHV restriction was lifted, a Fire Advisory remains in effect for the Calgary Forest Area.
No fire permits will be issued.
Safe campfires are allowed.
Incendiary targets remain banned province-wide.

Offline dubbleJs

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2016, 05:35:50 PM »
It's true!!
'91 XJ - 3" procrap - cutout for 33" MT's  - More and more dents every run...Sold.
'98 XJ - Lifted, locked and lovin' it