Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: to buy or not to buy...  (Read 3146 times)

Offline newfiewheeler

• Baby Wheeler
to buy or not to buy...
« on: August 05, 2016, 08:17:30 PM »
so my wife and i are looking at buying a 2012 rubicon with a 4" zone off road lift and a poison spyder rear bumper. its in great shape with original shape and only 64k. I'm looking for opinions on the rubicon's and what i should maybe look for as potential issues.

Offline Dingleberry

• UberWheeler
Re: to buy or not to buy...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 10:18:30 PM »
The "asking price" would be your main 'issue' to look for. (ie. whether it's too deer or not!  :D)

Offline RckyMtnTJ

• UberWheeler
    • http://www3.telus.net/lck
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 11:36:49 AM »
I'm not familiar with Zone lifts.   Can someone school newfiewheeler on the quality of this lift.  that would be one of,my main concerns assuming condition and price are right.
98 TJ 4" lift + goodies

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 12:53:30 PM »
so my wife and i are looking at buying a 2012 rubicon with a 4" zone off road lift and a poison spyder rear bumper. its in great shape with original shape and only 64k. I'm looking for opinions on the rubicon's and what i should maybe look for as potential issues.

Zone offers lifts at an affordable price point. They are a sister company to BDS. You may want to upgrade  the suspension down the road. And 4" of lift on a jk is pretty tall.
2012 was the first year for the 3.6L V6 in the jk. There were some cylinder head issues. I believe Chrysler extended the warranty for the head issues to 150,000kms, but correct me if I'm wrong. Other then that if its in good shape and the price is fair then you can't go wrong with a rubicon. The 3.6L is by far the better engine for the jk's, the rubicon will offer all the off-road upgrades from the factory.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline newfiewheeler

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 06:41:51 PM »
thanks for all the great info guys. they are asking 34k for it but I'm able to get a better deal as i do work for the dealer. price seems fair to me but this is my first rubi.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 07:11:53 PM »
The JK Rubi lockers are straight electric, and seem to work pretty well.

The 3.6 is far superior to the 3.8 like Heeps said - good call on that.

As far as a Zone lift goes - it's a product built to a price point, and 4" is a LOT of lift for a JK. You could probably fit 37's with a wee bit of rub on stock fenders with that much.

On a 2012, expect that the electric swaybar disconnect will go within a year of buying it....but that's just a reason to upgrade to a dual rate or anti-rock!
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(