Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Loose shock  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Yellow RUBI

• Budget Lift
  • She Thinks My Tractions Sexy!
Loose shock
« on: September 29, 2016, 11:40:17 AM »
Hey,
Can anyone tell me if a loose front shock would cause a vibration, ? like a balance weight fell off.
Take a Compass!
Its Awkward when you have to eat your friends !

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
Re: Loose shock
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 03:13:57 AM »
have you checked your wheel balance? A loose shock shouldnt cause a vibration. Could be an outboard u-joint, wallowed out track bar mount, worn tires, seperating plys in a tire... any number of things. A loose shock is not great for the ride but it would cause more of a bounce than a wobble.. good luck with the search. Please dont be that guy that beefs up the steering stabilizer to remove a vibe. That only masks an underlying problem.
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline Yellow RUBI

• Budget Lift
  • She Thinks My Tractions Sexy!
Re: Loose shock
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 11:34:35 AM »
On a "little" further investigation i noticed that the steering stabilizer is leaking and it looks like one of the lower control arms might be loose on the rear..
aside from that, the tires only have about 10k on them. I may have knocked a weight off the last time i was out but it doesn't look like it. That was the first thing I checked....
Take a Compass!
Its Awkward when you have to eat your friends !